Sport Planes (Formerly I/C & Gas Conversion) Discuss I/C or Gas Conversions, Aerobatic Planes and Sport Aircraft

SIG Kadet LT-40

Old 09-21-2015, 07:09 PM
guapoman2000
Space Ship 1

Default SIG Kadet LT-40

Hello guys,

This SIG Kadet LT-40 was acquired about one year ago and finally took it down from the hook and took out the Gas Tank out, cleaned it some from the slime and set it up as Electric.

At first, I was looking for a E-Flite Power 46 motor for it and instead found a combo motor/ESC in my hobby drawer that really does the job perfectly. My goals are long flights with very mild sport flying.

The motor is known as the Thrust-50 Brushless motor and Quantum 65-AMP Brushless ESC. This combo has been reviewed and is recommended at the Precision Acrobatic (PA) web site noting a very efficient motor/esc combo.

PA Web Site Providing additional information:
http://www.precisionaerobatics.com/t...s/thrust50.pdf

The entire setup is as follows:

* Thrust-50 Brushless motor
* APC 13 X 8 "E" Propeller.
* Quantum 65-AMP ESC (BEC Disabled).
* Separate RX Battery with switch harness (Thunder Power 2-Cell, 1800mAH, Lithium Polymer).
* Futaba 7-Channel Dual Conversion (FP-R1270F) receiver. (72-Mhz, FM)
* Futaba 4-Channel Transmitter. (72-Mhz, FM)
* Futaba Standard Servos (1303's)
* Turnigy 5-Cell, 4,000mAH, Lithium Polymer flight pack.

Flight Summary:
This model has amazing lift capabilities and as heavy as it is the thing can stay in the air with as little effort as possible. I have never had a "TRAINER" such as this and I am amazed and impressed with its manners. I believe that notwithstanding all of the FOAM Electric Trainers out in the Market, this one (SIG Kadet LT-40) is by far the best trainer that I have come across in a long time.

As a matter of fact, the model still performs even though I changed the main gear wheels (Tires) with some warbird looking 3 inch diameter tires for those occasions when the model goes off the runway. Unfortunately, the tires are flat as they are made from some cheap rubber / plastic material and they gone flat. Even though they are flat the model still manages to gain speed and take off with minimal WATTS (Power).

In Flight it is a baby doll like a true trainer should be and yet, I can manage some mild sport maneuvers such as effortless loops, rolls and hammerheads.

An amazing trainer with super design qualities.

This is not the first GLOW-TO-ELECTRIC conversion done on a slimmer SIG Kadet LT-40 as I had one with a much heavier 22oz ASTRO FLIGHT 60 direct drive motor and you can visit at:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1482085

PICTURES of the Latest LT-40 Conversion:

The Beginning.......

Before Cleaning the GLOW Slime:

After Cleaning the GLOW Slime:

Added Bulk Head Plywood to avoid Battery from sliding AFT into FUSE:

Never Trust an OLD Ni-MH Receiver Pack that has been lying around your hobby drawer!

Selected the Thunder Power 2-Cell, 1800mAH Li-Poly Receiver Pack instead!

VIDEOS:

https://youtu.be/Dnu5s2awJLw

https://youtu.be/c30ub-PGcy0
Old 09-21-2015, 09:48 PM
Turbojoe
Mountain Models Minion

Nice job Carlos.

I built an LT-40 as a slimer back in 2000. Never maidened it because I went all electric and it sat for years never having seen a drop of fuel. It sat until a buddy bought it from me. I got to fly it once after he got it and you're right, even with glow power it flew great. It reminded me just how sluggish glow responds to throttle compared to electric though. I always thought the LT-40 might make a good electric conversion. As good or possibly even better than a Telemaster 40 conversion. I have a Telemsater 40 that I've almost finished. I built it from the start as an electric conversion. Maybe one of these days I'll get around to completing it. It's only been sitting there for 6 or 7 years........

Joe
Old 09-21-2015, 10:51 PM
guapoman2000
Space Ship 1

Originally Posted by Turbojoe View Post
Nice job Carlos.

I built an LT-40 as a slimer back in 2000. Never maidened it because I went all electric and it sat for years never having seen a drop of fuel. It sat until a buddy bought it from me. I got to fly it once after he got it and you're right, even with glow power it flew great. It reminded me just how sluggish glow responds to throttle compared to electric though. I always thought the LT-40 might make a good electric conversion. As good or possibly even better than a Telemaster 40 conversion. I have a Telemsater 40 that I've almost finished. I built it from the start as an electric conversion. Maybe one of these days I'll get around to completing it. It's only been sitting there for 6 or 7 years........

Joe
Hi Joe!

Please Get Her Done with respect to that Telemaster 40!

I will be acquiring a Telemaster 40 this Friday and I will be opening a new discussion thread on it and you are welcome to join in!

Carlos
Old 09-21-2015, 11:17 PM
Turbojoe
Mountain Models Minion

Carlos,

The main reason I stopped working on the Telemaster (it just needs to be covered and outfitted) is that it's too hard to find a place around here to fly something this big and heavy. The clubs around here are pretty expensive IF they even have an opening. I don't get enough time to fly lately that joining a club makes any sense financially. I'll definitely watch your conversion thread though.

Joe
Old 09-22-2015, 11:17 AM
guapoman2000
Space Ship 1

Originally Posted by Turbojoe View Post
Carlos,

The main reason I stopped working on the Telemaster (it just needs to be covered and outfitted) is that it's too hard to find a place around here to fly something this big and heavy. The clubs around here are pretty expensive IF they even have an opening. I don't get enough time to fly lately that joining a club makes any sense financially. I'll definitely watch your conversion thread though.

Joe
Joe,

I am sorry to learn about the RC Clubs in your area. My RC Club in Titusville, Florida for the longest had been $50 per year and it is a great place to fly RC. Just recently, we voted to increase the yearly dues to $75.00 for flying members to continue to pay and up-keep four riding mowers and have a textile runway which is not cheap.

I believe the closest RC Club in your area is: (Arizona Model Aviators)
http://www.azmodelaviators.com/docum...opy%281%29.htm

Their dues are $100 per year:
http://www.azmodelaviators.com/Membe...Membership.pdf

However, I understand about the time allocation to fly RC and if you don't have the time then, totally understand.

I am lucky since when I drive myself to work and not take the Van Pool vehicle, I pack my car with as many planes and head out earlier to the RC Club (On the Way to Work) and enjoy at least one to one and a half hours of flying and at times can fly up to four different models and depending how busy it is at the Club, I can fly a few model twice. For the larger models I take then, they get flown multiple times since can't fit too many models due to the size of the larger that takes up too much space.

I hope you can find the time and place to fly that Telemaster since it doesn't require that much space to fly it with regards to take-off and landing.

Again, Friday can't come fast enough for me as I can't wait to get my hands on that Telemaster 40.
Old 09-22-2015, 04:25 PM
Turbojoe
Mountain Models Minion

A.M.A. is a first rate facility. It's where the Arizona Electric Festival and Arizona Jet Rally are held. Haven't been to either event in a while. I may have to make it this year. It's only a 15 minute drive after all.

I just don't have enough larger planes to make it worth the money to fly there. It gets pretty crowded too. East Valley Aviators is another nice field a little further out. I work at ASU Polytechnic and have access to the 6 acre multipurpose playing field. Perfect for my smaller 30"-48" birds. No fees either.

Joe
Old 09-22-2015, 07:15 PM
guapoman2000
Space Ship 1

Joe,

I usually fly at a middle school track and I understand the feeling of being with less stress and commotion plus no fees. Yes, the majority of my airplanes are within that wing span. Just lately I have been going with the larger models.

Glad you are planning on going to the Electric Festival.

Take care.
Carlos
Old 09-23-2015, 06:46 AM
guapoman2000
Space Ship 1

Default Some Improvements, Adjustments and Ready to Fly again!

Hi guys,

I perhaps forgot to post a picture of the final internals (FUSE) showing the final setup such as servos, links etc........

Here is this picture showing such items and presently I am topping off the Separate Receiver Battery (Thunder Power 2-Cell, 1800mAH) from the switch harness.

Additionally, I didn't like the NUT look up front at the Propeller Adapter so, I changed the NUT for a nice F4U Corsair NUT.

Finally, changed out the Main Landing Gear tires as they were completely Flat and replaced them with a pair of Dubro Foam Tires (3-inch diameter) and made slight adjustments to the Main Landing Gear Wires and was able to give the model improved look and functionality.

Old 09-23-2015, 08:11 PM
guapoman2000
Space Ship 1

Guys,

I tried the 6S (Two 3S in series 5,000mAH) Li-Poly and my 5S (5-Cell, Turnigy 4,000mAH) Lithium Polymer.

The 6S really didn't provide any additional performance and perhaps slightly a little more airspeed. It did have a greater climb rate, however.

The 5S using the APC 13 X 8 "E" propeller is the best for this Thrust-50 power system and airplane model frame. There is just no need for additional power required.

I was thrilled to have an opportunity to fly the LT-40 Kadet before heading to work this morning and it was a total success.

The newer 3-inch diameter FOAM wheels on the Main Gear were terrific and I didn't see any bounce at all and performed a few Touch & Goes and the model handled like a baby doll.:p

I am having lots of fun with this model.
Old 09-24-2015, 03:17 AM
guapoman2000
Space Ship 1

Good evening guys!

As I was show-&-telling at the RC Club this morning, we had one sponsor for Precision Aerobatics there who informed me that these "THRUST" motors are available at the USA web site. I just got home from work and it was a long day but, I was able to find the motor at their web site like the gentleman informed me.

Here:
http://www.precisionaerobatics.com/p...ls.php?pid=592

Additionally, seems like the Quantum 65-AMP ESC has been discontinued and instead I saw the 70-AMP.

http://www.precisionaerobatics.com/p...ls.php?pid=591
Old 09-24-2015, 03:31 AM
fhhuber
Super Contributor

When I buy an ESC (not get one in an ARF/RTF package) Its a Castle.

Just got the new CastleLink programming card which also acts as computer interface and it updated my new ESCs... and gave a warning to check with a wattmeter because the ESC firmware update makes the ESCs more efficient and can make the motors deliver (and demand) more power.
Old 09-24-2015, 04:06 AM
guapoman2000
Space Ship 1

Originally Posted by fhhuber View Post
When I buy an ESC (not get one in an ARF/RTF package) Its a Castle.

Just got the new CastleLink programming card which also acts as computer interface and it updated my new ESCs... and gave a warning to check with a wattmeter because the ESC firmware update makes the ESCs more efficient and can make the motors deliver (and demand) more power.
I myself have purchase CASTLE CREATIONS, however, for $20 US I bought the Thrust-50 and the discontinued Quantum 65-AMP ESC along with other motors.

As you can see the efficiency from these two devices coupled together provide a very efficiency power house.

Take care,
Carlos
Old 09-25-2015, 11:57 PM
guapoman2000
Space Ship 1

Default In case you missed it!

Never Trust an OLD Ni-MH Receiver Pack that has been lying around your hobby drawer!

The above Ni-MH pack is several years old and lightly used and this battery just quit while my model was being setup on my work bench!

I am glad this happened on the work bench!

Here is an important Video for all to watch for those trying to setup their own models, especially Electric!

https://youtu.be/ow4VmOwIdYA
Old 09-26-2015, 03:28 AM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

Originally Posted by guapoman2000 View Post

The above Ni-MH pack is several years old and lightly used and this battery just quit while my model was being setup on my work bench!

I am glad this happened on the work bench!

Here is an important Video for all to watch for those trying to setup their own models, especially Electric!

https://youtu.be/ow4VmOwIdYA

I lost a 1/4 scale plane due to that very thing. Worst feeling in the world is to have absolutely no control of an aircraft, especially a 15 pound 11ft wingspan type.

I run dual packs in ALL my big planes now. The smaller ones get lipo receiver packs when I can[t put 2 packs in there.
Old 09-26-2015, 06:08 AM
fhhuber
Super Contributor

Dual LiFe packs (and disable BEC) if the BEC isn't up to the load of half the servos stalled at the same time.

And I cycle test rechargeable batteries at least every 6 months.
(Cycle test of a LiPo for the power system is accomplished by flying in a high power model :p)
Old 09-26-2015, 03:12 PM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

Originally Posted by fhhuber View Post
Dual LiFe packs (and disable BEC) if the BEC isn't up to the load of half the servos stalled at the same time.

And I cycle test rechargeable batteries at least every 6 months.
(Cycle test of a LiPo for the power system is accomplished by flying in a high power model :p)
Good advice, it sucks when you have to learn these lessons the hard way...
Old 09-27-2015, 04:39 AM
guapoman2000
Space Ship 1

Thanks for posting, guys!

Just checked the 2-Cell, 1800mAH, Lithium Polymer RECEIVER Battery pack and it is still fully charged. Checked all linkages and all Flight (Power System) battery packs are fully charged up.

Ready for another two flights in the morning!

I am hooked on this trainer.
Old 10-03-2015, 05:42 PM
guapoman2000
Space Ship 1

Guys,

Yes, it flew on Sunday, September 27th, 2015 for two flights and the flight battery (5-Cell, 4,000mAH, Li-Poly) measured 19.9 Volts after both flights of 6 minutes each.

Today it flew for 7 minutes with great results and with mix throttle and mild sport maneuvers such as loops, rolls and sustained inverted flight.

Just an amazing model for sure.

================================================== =============
Today!

Guys!

Just look at what was placed back into the battery after a 8-minute flight of my SIG Kadet LT-40!

A whopper of just 871 mHA and it charged back in just 20 minutes!

This was with mixed throttle so, it means that at 1/2 Throttle the AMP (current draw) must be in the area of 7-AMPs!

Amazing!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	8 minutes in-flight.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	242.2 KB
ID:	181908   Click image for larger version

Name:	8 minutes in-flight2.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	421.8 KB
ID:	181909  

Last edited by guapoman2000; 10-15-2015 at 02:48 PM.
Old 10-03-2015, 08:07 PM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

Originally Posted by guapoman2000 View Post
Guys,

Yes, it flew on Sunday, September 27th, 2015 for two flights and the flight battery (5-Cell, 4,000mAH, Li-Poly) measured 11.9 Volts after both flights of 6 minutes each.

Today it flew for 7 minutes with great results and with mix throttle and mild sport maneuvers such as loops, rolls and sustained inverted flight.

Just an amazing model for sure.

================================================== =============
Today!

Guys!

Just look at what was placed back into the battery after a 8-minute flight of my SIG Kadet LT-40!

A whopper of just 871 mHA and it charged back in just 20 minutes!

This was with mixed throttle so, it means that at 1/2 Throttle the AMP (current draw) must be in the area of 7-AMPs!

Amazing!
Nice!!!
Old 10-05-2015, 04:51 AM
guapoman2000
Space Ship 1

Default 10-04-2015

Okay, did a little flying with it at the local Middle School near my house rain and clouds were coming in fast so, I wasted no time to go to this middle school with a terrific Track and my mom even came with me and we both enjoyed two walking laps after flying my Kadet LT-40.

Additionally, I did a little shopping for it and went to a HOBBY TOWN USA (only Hobby Store open on Sundays), I found a pair of some beefier 3.5 inch diameter wheels by Dubro and found an APC 12 X 8 "E" so, off I went back home and installed the new main gear Wheels and they look fantastic plus it raised the rear FUSE section a whopper of 4.25 inches.

Another thing I did was to finally stop guessing on the weight of this model and got accurate readings with my digital weight scale and can you believe this thing is just slightly over seven (7) pounds fully flight ready!

Weight1 (FUSE): 4.0lbs. (64oz.)
Weight2 (Wing): 1lbs. - 13oz. (29oz.)
Weight3 (Battery): 1lbs.-3 3/4oz. (19.75oz.)

Adding the Ounces all together: 112.75oz. (7.047 lbs.)

================================================== ==================================================

Pictures of main gear wheel retrofit:

Weigh-In Session:

A few pictures at the Track!

Old 10-08-2015, 04:35 PM
guapoman2000
Space Ship 1

Guys,

Can't wait to fly the SIG Kadet LT-40 with the newer Main Gear 3.5 inch diameter wheels! Now the model's stance will be level and tail will come up. I would need to be ready with UP Elevator as before it took off by-itself!

Guapo
Old 10-08-2015, 05:36 PM
fhhuber
Super Contributor

Tail drooping is a progressive issue on the LT-40. It will slowly get back to drooping again and eventually drag if you don't periodically remove the main strut wires to re-bend... or replace with better main gear struts.

They are a bit weak on purpose to (hopefully) have the struts bend rather than ripping the belly out when a student makes a poor landing.

Note in the pictures how far from straight up and down the tire sides are... That is from the struts bending.
Old 10-15-2015, 11:41 AM
guapoman2000
Space Ship 1

Default Sunday morning, 10-11-2015

Guys,

Enjoyed both hobbies on Sunday morning, 10-11-2015!

Flew my SIG Kadet LT-40 and transported it using my 1987BMW 325i Convertible Project. Both did great!

The picture showing the Charger represents how much charge placed back into the battery after a typical 12 minute flight.

A few pictures!

Old 10-15-2015, 10:55 PM
guapoman2000
Space Ship 1

Oh, I almost forgot.....

Those newer Dubro 3.5 inch main gear wheels did fantastic!
Old 03-07-2016, 08:47 PM
Jack_K

Great posts! I have a question for you LT40 owners.

I bought an LT40 used. The builder built it with the maximum dihedral and I don't like the way it flies. It won't even attempt to roll.

So, any idea how I could cut the wing open and reduce the dihedral? I do have the original dihedral spars available.

Jack

Quick Reply: SIG Kadet LT-40

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.11743 seconds with 12 queries