New Spectrum DX8 - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

New Spectrum DX8

Old 08-22-2010, 04:26 AM
TylerJCooper

Default New Spectrum DX8

I was suprised no one has mentioned the new Spectrum DX8. I personally won't be able to afford one until around the DX15 comes out, however, I am pretty pumped that the market might get flooded with affordable used DX6i. I am still using the DX6(not i) and absolutely love it, however, I am ready to be able to take advantage of BNF options.

I would love to her what everyone's thoughts are on Spectrum's new radio. Do you have one? What do you think about them? Do you think it can hang with the Aurora 9?
Old 08-22-2010, 05:13 AM
A.T.

Default Spektrum DX8 vs. Hitec A9

Originally Posted by TylerJCooper View Post
I was suprised no one has mentioned the new Spectrum DX8. I personally won't be able to afford one until around the DX15 comes out, however, I am pretty pumped that the market might get flooded with affordable used DX6i. I am still using the DX6(not i) and absolutely love it, however, I am ready to be able to take advantage of BNF options. I would love to her what everyone's thoughts are on Spectrum's new radio. Do you have one? What do you think about them? Do you think it can hang with the Aurora 9?
DX8 not yet available.
(Currently using an Aurora besides many other Hitec, Futaba, JR, Spektrum, Eksy, Skyartec etc TX.)
An existing thread Spektrum DX8 vs. Hitec A9 provides comparisons.

For information: The DX8 is not a converted JR. Spektrum DSM History:
JR developed DSM-J so that they could sell 2.4Ghz radios in Japan and Europe. This is due to government regulations. JR’s DSM2 was developed by Paul Beard of Cyprus Semiconductors for Horizon Hobby (trademark Spektrum). HH is an exclusive importer and distributor for JR products into the USA. The two companies have contractual agreements between each other.
Pretty much all the European countries allow a maximum of 10mW power for DSSS, which is far too low for RC aircraft use. The DX7 radiated power is 128mW thus it is illegal to sell this radio and any other DSM2 radios in Japan and in European countries hence the need for DSM-J. Further info contained in the extensive thread with detailed answers at New Frequency Hopping Spektrum

Telemetry - Quote ex FG:
"Okay, so let's just compare telemetry options for both radios today...As more information comes out on the DX8 telemetry, it looks like the add on telemetry module (fly by) will be $45 and the (full range) $57. Consider that these are needed for any telemetry including voltage and that the sensors themselves are additional. The full range module is by no means small, and looks to be close to the same size as the Optima 9 RX. So even if you only want battery voltage only you will have to spend a minimum of $45 plus the sensor wire just to have this where for about the same cost you could get the Optima 6 RX, or if you want to add additional telemetry, as mentioned, the Optima 7 is only $70 which is close to the cost of the full range module. So even if you have existing Spektrum Rx's, it's almost the same cost to add telemetry capability as it is to buy a new Hitec RX with the battery telemetry built it! Then after that you're limited (currently) to voltage, one temp and one RPM where the Hitec system offers additional items like multiple temps & RPM but also other goodies like fuel and the GPS for speed and altitude. Hitec's basic sensor pack that comes with the sensor station (Size: 1"x 1 3/8" @ 6g,) 2 temps and either an optical or magnetic RPM sensor and will sell for $70; the full package with everything is $225 as seen Hitec Telemetric AFHSS System -Mike."

Which is really best: FHSS or DSSS? - Two solutions to same problem.

Regards
Alan T.
Alan's Hobby, Model & RC FAQ Web Links

Last edited by A.T.; 08-22-2010 at 12:29 PM.
Old 08-22-2010, 05:29 AM
TylerJCooper

Very informative AT. Sadly it proves that even my hobby is not save from politics.
Old 08-22-2010, 08:42 AM
Numbthumbs
Master of Bisaster

I would go for tha Aurora if it were me...
Old 08-22-2010, 03:12 PM
SHADY
Got Glue??

I have the Aurora 9 and love it, love it, love it......
I have never been so connected to my models, every little rebound of the spring the control surfaces match every little movement.
The availability of telemetry was secondary, but was one of my deciding factors.
Plus the price of the modules and the Rx's looked better to me than spectrum.
Old 08-23-2010, 03:22 PM
constantCrash
prefectionist

I've read http://www.rcmodelreviews.com a few times, and have lost respect for the site. They guy who runs it just has something against spektrum.

techinicly Spektrum's system is theoreticly more suceptable to interference than Futaba etc, but the limits are so high that I doubt we've seen anything in real life that could be consituted as a Spektrum frequency failure. There might have been some issues at SEFF but that's it.

He is also WRONG on JR developing DSM-J because DSM2 is deficient. Japan has laws against DSM2 type connections so they HAD to develop DSM-J for use in japan. Everywhere else in the world DMS2 is legal and will stay the Spektrum standard.

There is a significant order of magnatude more Spektrum systems in the world that all the rest combind, because of that alone, you'll see more failures of the system.

Remember in the electronics manufacturing world, an 8% failure rate is considered standard operating procedure.

So I take everything on that site with a heaping pile of table salt.

Oh, and I'd love to have a new DX8, but that whole money thing. P.S. anybody wanna buy a lightly used DX6i? I really don't need two of them.
Old 08-23-2010, 03:31 PM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

Originally Posted by Numbthumbs View Post
I would go for tha Aurora if it were me...
For someone, like Tyler, looking to take advantage of the BNF birds the Aurora wouldn't be a very good option.

I started with the DX6, the one Tyler has now as a matter of fact, and have progressed from that to the DX7, and now a X9303 JR.

In the total time I have been using them I have had 0 (ZIP, ZED, ZERO, NIL, NADA) issues, even at SEFF.
Old 08-23-2010, 04:43 PM
Numbthumbs
Master of Bisaster

Originally Posted by firemanbill View Post
For someone, like Tyler, looking to take advantage of the BNF birds the Aurora wouldn't be a very good option.

I started with the DX6, the one Tyler has now as a matter of fact, and have progressed from that to the DX7, and now a X9303 JR.

In the total time I have been using them I have had 0 (ZIP, ZED, ZERO, NIL, NADA) issues, even at SEFF.
That is true FMB! For the BNF birds, the Spektrum radios are great. I have really enjoyed my Dx6i and recommend it warmly, only, I wish I had sprung for a more expensive version because now I wish it had sailplane function programming. Ahh...hindsight is always 20/20!
I have also never had problems with the DX6i. I had ONE problem with the old 6100E receiver, but that was known, and fixed in a later version.
Can't go wrong with any of them really. My only advice would be to spring for the best one you can up front!
Old 08-23-2010, 04:54 PM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

Yes I agree. I think all the new 2.4 radios available are a good purchase. The technicalities and the differences in speeds and refresh rates can be argued into the nanoseconds but in the end they are all good radios.

And I have always said, get as much radio as you have the money for. Planes will come and go but a good radio will be with you for years.
Old 08-23-2010, 05:00 PM
spad

I have a DX-7, JR x9303 and Aurora 9: I love both "systems," and have never had a problem with my Spektrum gear.

The JR has a "Cadillac" feel, but the Aurora 9 is light years ahead in terms of ease of use.

God, aren't we lucky!
Old 08-23-2010, 05:02 PM
kenchiroalpha
Retired Master Chief USN

Red face

Hi
Wow i wish i had known about this one a couple months ago
I would have got one of these instead of my new JR12x
Though i am extremely happy with that one
Take care
Hank

Last edited by kenchiroalpha; 08-15-2011 at 02:47 AM.
Old 08-23-2010, 05:30 PM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

Originally Posted by kenchiroalpha View Post
Hi
Wow i wish i had known about this one a couple months ago
I would have got one of these instead of my new JR12x
Though i am extremely happy with that one
Take care
Hank
Send me that 12X and I'll buy you a DX8!
Old 08-23-2010, 05:53 PM
kenchiroalpha
Retired Master Chief USN

Wink

Originally Posted by firemanbill View Post
Send me that 12X and I'll buy you a DX8!
Hi Bill

I think ill keep her Bill
Thanks for the offer though
Take care dear friend
Hank
Old 08-23-2010, 05:58 PM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

Originally Posted by kenchiroalpha View Post
Hi Bill

I think ill keep her Bill
Thanks for the offer though
Take care dear friend
Hank
Just trying to help out a friend... If you change your mind just let me know!
Old 08-23-2010, 06:15 PM
idealhobbies
Super Contributor

With the pending release of the DX8, I would imagine that there will also be an influx of used DX7's to be had. I've had mine now for 2 years and absolutely love it. Keep the DX7 in mind when you're looking for a BNF compatable radio.
Old 08-23-2010, 06:35 PM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

Originally Posted by idealhobbies View Post
With the pending release of the DX8, I would imagine that there will also be an influx of used DX7's to be had. I've had mine now for 2 years and absolutely love it. Keep the DX7 in mind when you're looking for a BNF compatable radio.
Yeah the DX7 is an awesome radio. I'd still have mine if I hadn't got such a killer deal on a 9303.

I just about broke even getting it and selling my 7.
Old 08-23-2010, 06:38 PM
simibill
General Factotum

Originally Posted by A.T. View Post
DX8 not yet available.
[SIZE=1](
Telemetry - Quote ex FG:
"Okay, so let's just compare telemetry options for both radios today...As more information comes out on the DX8 telemetry, it looks like the add on telemetry module (fly by) will be $45 and the (full range) $57. Consider that these are needed for any telemetry including voltage and that the sensors themselves are additional. The full range module is by no means small, and looks to be close to the same size as the Optima 9 RX. So even if you only want battery voltage only you will have to spend a minimum of $45 plus the sensor wire just to have this where for about the same cost you could get the Optima 6 RX,
Actually the Telemetry module and a couple of sensors are included with the DX8.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen shot 2010-08-23 at 9.34.01 AM.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	79.3 KB
ID:	133980
Old 08-24-2010, 12:36 AM
TylerJCooper

Glad to hear Spectrum get the support. I am still fairly new (3 years) to the hobby and inexperienced with different radios. So, I get a little anxious when I hear the bad rap on Spectrum. They have been nothing but wonderful for me and I am very comfortable with their set-up, which is why I am excited to see them continue in the DX line.

NumbThumbs - If you are serious about the DX6i, I would like to chat.
Old 08-24-2010, 12:52 AM
constantCrash
prefectionist

did you mean me? because numbthumbs didn't say he was selling his.

Glad to hear Spectrum get the support. I am still fairly new (3 years) to the hobby and inexperienced with different radios. So, I get a little anxious when I hear the bad rap on Spectrum. They have been nothing but wonderful for me and I am very comfortable with their set-up, which is why I am excited to see them continue in the DX line.

NumbThumbs - If you are serious about the DX6i, I would like to chat.
Old 08-24-2010, 01:04 AM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

Tyler, if you do buy a DX6I and want to get rid of the DX6 let me know, I might just buy it back from you for sentimental reasons and pass it on to another new flyer.

Good luck Buddy!
Old 08-24-2010, 02:06 AM
TylerJCooper

Originally Posted by constantCrash View Post
Yes I meant you

Bill, I plan on upgrading within the next year, however, I am going to hold on to the DX6 for flight training. I have a buddy box system right now, however, I can do any mixing with it. I am going to use the system to teach more high speed and possibly 3D flight.

Plus - I am kinda attached to it
Old 08-24-2010, 02:17 AM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

Yes I meant you

Bill, I plan on upgrading within the next year, however, I am going to hold on to the DX6 for flight training. I have a buddy box system right now, however, I can do any mixing with it. I am going to use the system to teach more high speed and possibly 3D flight.

Plus - I am kinda attached to it
Not a problem Buddy, You keep it and continue enjoying it.
Old 08-24-2010, 12:56 PM
Numbthumbs
Master of Bisaster

Originally Posted by constantCrash View Post
LOl I had to go back and reread my posts before I read on that he meant you...Should start from the last post and read backwards hehe.