UM beast. what's the big deal? - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Indoor & Micro Electric Planes Talk about indoor & Micro electric powered flight here

UM beast. what's the big deal?

Old 09-01-2010, 01:26 AM
skyman

Default UM beast. what's the big deal?

Ok ok, i know, it does look pretty awesome... but look closer guys. what can it do that the parkzone sukhoi xp or eflight four sight cant? yes, i know it has brushless and a 2cell, but so does nitro planes new um, and it's 55 bucks. not to mention that the battery is only 120 mah. perhaps i am missing something, but, as for now, the sukhoi xp is gonna be the next addition to my hangar.
Old 09-01-2010, 01:40 AM
crxmanpat
Community Moderator

It all comes down to personal preference. Some people just can't resist a bipe.
Old 09-01-2010, 02:29 AM
TDisaster
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by skyman View Post
Ok ok, i know, it does look pretty awesome... but look closer guys. what can it do that the parkzone sukhoi xp or eflight four sight cant? yes, i know it has brushless and a 2cell, but so does nitro planes new um, and it's 55 bucks. not to mention that the battery is only 120 mah. perhaps i am missing something, but, as for now, the sukhoi xp is gonna be the next addition to my hangar.
The Nitro Planes is no where near the quality of the UM Beast. Nor does it have ailerons, and can't do half the aerobatics the Beast can. If you want to fly in circles go for the NP Bipe, if you want something more go for the Beast.

If the UM flies anything like the 100cc version, I'd have to get one. The big one is one of the best bipes I've ever had the pleasure to fly.
Old 09-01-2010, 03:01 AM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

I'll let you know when I get mine. I was one of the first to pre order.

My main reason? Because
A. I have a 27% size of the same plane.
B. Designed and engineered by Quique Somenzini.
C. Full backing and support of Horizon Hobby, probably the best RC company out there as far as support.
Old 09-01-2010, 03:04 AM
kenchiroalpha
Retired Master Chief USN

Thumbs up

Hi
All of the above and because its The BEAST
http://www.beastairshows.com/web/aircraft.php
Take care
Hank
Old 09-01-2010, 05:19 PM
skyman

Originally Posted by crxmanpat View Post
It all comes down to personal preference. Some people just can't resist a bipe.
yeah, i guess that is why. as others have said, the np bipe has no ailerons, but that's an easy mod. so you would have the same plane for about 70$. the um for sight is a bipe, but a flat foamy. the extra 65 bucks from the sukhoi just seems odd to me.
Old 09-01-2010, 10:12 PM
crxmanpat
Community Moderator

yeah, i guess that is why. as others have said, the np bipe has no ailerons, but that's an easy mod. so you would have the same plane for about 70$. the um for sight is a bipe, but a flat foamy. the extra 65 bucks from the sukhoi just seems odd to me.
It's because they can get away with it.
Old 09-01-2010, 10:16 PM
TDisaster
Super Contributor

It's because they can get away with it.
Or maybe because it (the Suk) doesn't have the brushless motor, 2s lipo or 6400LBL receiver...
Old 09-01-2010, 10:19 PM
kenchiroalpha
Retired Master Chief USN

Talking

Originally Posted by TDisaster View Post
Or maybe because it (the Suk) doesn't have the brushless motor, 2s lipo or 6400LBL receiver...
Hi
Give that man a cigar
All of those new systems and features are awesome and should be showing up in new future models
I cant wait
Take care
Hank
Old 09-01-2010, 10:27 PM
crxmanpat
Community Moderator

I can't see the motor and battery adding any more than a few dollars to the cost (brushed motors aren't exactly cheap). I'm not familiar with all the Spektrum RXs, so I don't know how much better the 6400LBL is over the stock Sukhoi RX. But $65? Methinks they are taking advantage of the Beast enthusiests.
Old 09-01-2010, 10:37 PM
Old Fart
Lost at LAX

I can't see the motor and battery adding any more than a few dollars to the cost (brushed motors aren't exactly cheap). I'm not familiar with all the Spektrum RXs, so I don't know how much better the 6400LBL is over the stock Sukhoi RX. But $65? Methinks they are taking advantage of the Beast enthusiests.

Give PAT a cigar!
Old 09-01-2010, 10:46 PM
kenchiroalpha
Retired Master Chief USN

Hi
Compare the 2
http://www.e-fliterc.com/Products/De...D=SPMAR6400LBL
http://www.parkzone.com/Products/Def...odID=SPMAR6400
They are only 10 dollars more than the Sukhois brick
And as a bonus the beast has a programable brushless esc built in to the brick
I think its a fine deal
Take care
Hank
Old 09-01-2010, 11:42 PM
skyman

You said it
Old 09-01-2010, 11:45 PM
TDisaster
Super Contributor

They also include a separate 2 cell charger.

I don't buy anything that has anything to do with Spektrum, so I really don't care about the prices of any of these. I was just saying how I could see the 65$ being justifiable. The only thing from horizon I buy are those 8711's. And they're already overpriced.
Old 09-02-2010, 05:23 AM
crxmanpat
Community Moderator

They also include a separate 2 cell charger.

I don't buy anything that has anything to do with Spektrum, so I really don't care about the prices of any of these. I was just saying how I could see the 65$ being justifiable. The only thing from horizon I buy are those 8711's. And they're already overpriced.
Amen brotha!
Old 09-02-2010, 04:22 PM
texasclouds
Super Contributor

I too think it is way overpriced. I'm glad they are offering new stuff though.
Old 09-02-2010, 07:47 PM
skyman

the suk is over priced as is. if it was 65 from a np or bh plane it would be more understandable.
Old 09-03-2010, 04:15 AM
Real Gambler

The original Sukhoi has been selling for $69 for months now. Well basically since the Sukhoi XP came out.

Original Sukhoi: Brushed motor, normal servos $69
Sukhoi XP: Faster Brushed motor, long throw servos $99
Beast: Brushless motor, long throw servo and ESC onboard: $ unknown

Break a landing gear on a Nitroplane? Make your own
Break a landing gear on a Horizon Hobby? Pick a new one in any hobby shops!

Blow your motor or ESC on a Nitroplane? (particularly because they are barely good enough?). Buy new ones
Blow your motor or Rx, on a Horizon Hobby? They will send you a new one.

Break a wing on a Nitroplane? Make your own. Don't forget to also make the ailerons
Break a wing on a Horizon Hobby? Pick a new one in any hobby shops.

I also pre-ordered the Beast. I have flown Horizon Hobby airplanes (Parkzone, E-flite) and Nitroplanes. I have no clue how much it will cost me, but I know I will be happy with the Beast. Yes, I could hack and slash a Nitroplane Bipe, fit some servos, save a few bucks, and get a plane that will fly. But will it fly as well at the Beast? Good luck!

I can also buy a $3 sheet of foam, $25 dollar worth of electronic at Hobby King and make my own bipe! Woot woot, save a lot of money. Will it fly as well as the Beast? Nope.
Old 09-03-2010, 03:33 PM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

Originally Posted by Real Gambler View Post
The original Sukhoi has been selling for $69 for months now. Well basically since the Sukhoi XP came out.

Original Sukhoi: Brushed motor, normal servos $69
Sukhoi XP: Faster Brushed motor, long throw servos $99
Beast: Brushless motor, long throw servo and ESC onboard: $ unknown

Break a landing gear on a Nitroplane? Make your own
Break a landing gear on a Horizon Hobby? Pick a new one in any hobby shops!

Blow your motor or ESC on a Nitroplane? (particularly because they are barely good enough?). Buy new ones
Blow your motor or Rx, on a Horizon Hobby? They will send you a new one.

Break a wing on a Nitroplane? Make your own. Don't forget to also make the ailerons
Break a wing on a Horizon Hobby? Pick a new one in any hobby shops.

I also pre-ordered the Beast. I have flown Horizon Hobby airplanes (Parkzone, E-flite) and Nitroplanes. I have no clue how much it will cost me, but I know I will be happy with the Beast. Yes, I could hack and slash a Nitroplane Bipe, fit some servos, save a few bucks, and get a plane that will fly. But will it fly as well at the Beast? Good luck!

I can also buy a $3 sheet of foam, $25 dollar worth of electronic at Hobby King and make my own bipe! Woot woot, save a lot of money. Will it fly as well as the Beast? Nope.

Good post!
Old 09-03-2010, 03:38 PM
texasclouds
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by Real Gambler View Post
have you flow the micro beast yet? how do you like it?
Old 09-03-2010, 10:23 PM
Real Gambler

Originally Posted by texasclouds View Post
have you flow the micro beast yet? how do you like it?
It's not out yet... I was just saying that no matter what, I could not build something that fly as well as the Beast (and look as good), but that was only based on my own skills (which is a known fact, I'm not that good), and the skills of Quique, which is much better than me for that, and by looking at the 3 videos available so far.

Yes, I will build something that fly. I'm always amazed by the fact that you put anything together and it usually fly. I do envy those guys who can build something as good or maybe even better a commercial product like the Beast. But it's only the elite. For most people, the Beast is a good deal. I just wish that like the 4-Site, they would offer a PNP version. The 4-Site BNF was about $169 I think, basically the price of the Beast. But the PNP version was only $109. (No charger, batteries, etc, just the bare plane).
Old 09-07-2010, 01:23 AM
skyman

Ok, so let's say I do get the beast (although overpriced) would I be able to handle it? I'm on my second plane now, a pz t28, but I'm pretty good. I can for sure handle ailerons, and a um does not scare me much.
Old 09-07-2010, 01:26 AM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

Ok, so let's say I do get the beast (although overpriced) would I be able to handle it? I'm on my second plane now, a pz t28, but I'm pretty good. I can for sure handle ailerons, and a um does not scare me much.
That's hard to say until a few folks get them in their hands and get an idea of how they handle.

The advantage you have is that the UM's don't hit the ground very hard at all unless you really try! so most mistakes don't cause a whole lot of damage. I try an awful lot of things with my little Suhkoi that I'd never try in my big birds, and after it bounces of the ground I pick it up and try it again.
Old 09-07-2010, 05:36 AM
skyman

Originally Posted by firemanbill View Post
That's hard to say until a few folks get them in their hands and get an idea of how they handle.

The advantage you have is that the UM's don't hit the ground very hard at all unless you really try! so most mistakes don't cause a whole lot of damage. I try an awful lot of things with my little Suhkoi that I'd never try in my big birds, and after it bounces of the ground I pick it up and try it again.
yeah, crash resistance was what i was thinking of. just gotta be carful of loosing them in trees! i also wonder if i could put a 2c 150 mah in one of these. the suk is a 150 mah.
Old 09-07-2010, 06:36 AM
Numbthumbs
Master of Bisaster

yeah, crash resistance was what i was thinking of. just gotta be carful of loosing them in trees! i also wonder if i could put a 2c 150 mah in one of these. the suk is a 150 mah.
It is made of balsa, I think crash resistant will be non-existent. Have you seen how fast that thing is? I reckon most crashes won't happen because people are hovering a foot off the ground...I will wait and see how they fly and let you first-comers work out the bugs for HH before I buy one :P

Besides, I am saving for a full-house sailplane now, and really, really want an MSR since they are getting so cheap now...The Beast at some point will be mine though, I just can't resist me a good bipe...

The good news is, HH et al, are making brushless minis!!! The future of RC has arrived. Amazing the technological strides the hobby is making!

Quick Reply: UM beast. what's the big deal?

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.11829 seconds with 16 queries