T28 Trojan - Page 41 - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

ParkFlyers Talk about all backyard and parkflyer aircraft here

T28 Trojan

Old 09-03-2010, 06:29 AM
Numbthumbs
Master of Bisaster

The 35-36C on 3s 25-30C with a 11x7 prop will lift your skirts.

The 35-42 SK on 4S with a 9x6 will too...but I prefer the above setup.

The 35-48 (I use the 1100kv, depends on which prop size you want) on 4S with a 10x7 prop will get you close to 1kWatts and some serious fun, though you really need to strengthen the frame. On 3S 450-600W.

All fine choices, though I think the first one my favorite and definitely the cheapest upgrade.

For the 3S applications, the 40A plush/sentry ESC is ok, for 4S, get the 60A or 80A plush or sentries and use a separate BEC.
Have fun!
Old 09-07-2010, 01:37 PM
Nuclear

Default which power combo

Last edited by Nuclear; 09-07-2010 at 05:13 PM.
Old 09-07-2010, 01:50 PM
Nuclear

Hey GlacierGirl,
I need "thrust" from what you explained......
great info you have on the T28.

I've asked before but I haven't gotten any good answers.

I'm doing FPV on my T28 and added about .....

here is my Video equip. on the plane, all on the canopy.
(the plane was bone stock)

VidTx 56grams
VidTx battert 50grams
Video cam 25grams

Total 131 grams (+/- 10grams)

with the stock power system, it is a struggling to move, it can barely do a full loop,
and I was constantly at 90%-100% throttle to fly, that is why I only got
7-8minutes of FPV time.

I think of Eflite power 10 or power 15
(or any other chinese motor similiar you guys use)
with either 3s 3000mah or 3s 3300mah.

I want more than 15min + on conservative flying, say
1/3 to 1/2 throttle for cruising at a level steady pace. is it possible?

also, what do you recommend?

I have a ESC 60amp and UBEC on the way also.

please help me, I need "thrust" not speed.
thanks

Last edited by Nuclear; 09-07-2010 at 05:15 PM.
Old 09-07-2010, 06:55 PM
Glacier Girl
Kamikaze Ace

As stated the 15 would be a better choice due to the lower kv rating. Would swing a bigger prop and still keep the amps down.

Give me a total weight of the bird ready to fly. I can run some calcs on it and then make sure of what will work for you. Be it Eflite or something from Hobby King.

Something else, may need to look at a multi blade prop. I ran the 4 blade on my other set up to get lots of thrust.

Don't worry we'll figure out something for ya.

Last edited by Glacier Girl; 09-07-2010 at 07:15 PM.
Old 09-07-2010, 07:11 PM
Glacier Girl
Kamikaze Ace

Speaking of set ups. I patched up the fuse on mine while I wait on the one from Horizon back order.

Decided to give the speed set up a try. Swapped in the APC 9x10, and swapped out the 3S3700 for a pair of 3S2200's wired in series.

OH MY GOD!!!!!!! Is this thing fast!!!!!!!
And I REALLY need to change the thrust angle. Less then 1/2 throttle on take off and it was gone. I had to crank back to 1/4 throttle to get a handle on it. Due to the new found angle problem it wanted to climb at a really steep angle as the throttle was increased. One quick try at full throttle and it went screaming into a huge loop. And it did it so fast I barely had time to cut throttle on the down side.

Boy am I glad I added a CF spar to it. The wings were bowing badly as it pulled up, I'm pretty sure it would have snapped the stock wing.

Was a bit of a fight keeping her flying as she just wanted to climb. Turns were actually reverse elevator as I had to dial in down to keep it level on them.

I did manage to get her back down on the ground in one piece, the flaps worked out great. And with the motor angle adding throttle kept her in a nice nose up attitude.

Nothing broke, and the lights I added looked great in the early morning light.

Hopefully the new fuse will show soon as she's sitting in the to repair rack now, either waiting on the fuse or for me to adjust the thrust angle.

Something else I noticed on it that needs looked at. It's got the wing wobble. The LE and TE are tight against the fuse but the rest of the wing has a near 3/16" gap.

I'll either practice trimming the old fuse or maybe add some foam to it to keep the wings from wagging on it.
Old 09-08-2010, 03:13 AM
Nuclear

Default calculations?

wow, "thrust" isn't a issue since
you can make the wings fold

can you give me some ideas on the Power15 motor to carry
about 7-8 oz. of weight on the canopy?

thanks....

p.s.
what were your calculations?

great info here....
Old 09-08-2010, 11:59 PM
Glacier Girl
Kamikaze Ace

Nuclear, as stated I need the all out weight of your bird, not just the camera.

But just using a stock bird and adding the camera weight we'll say roughly 40oz RTF.
Power 15, 10x7 prop, 3S3700 pack, you are looking at approx, 26 amps, 46 oz of thrust, and around 55 mph. Flight time would be around half an hour of flying time running at optimal speed of 33 mph.

My speed set up is a Mega 600/30/7, 640 kv, Turnigy 60 amp esc, Castle 10 BEC, and an APC 9x10 prop.

30 amps on 6S2200 20C, 56 oz of thrust and a prop speed of 113, actual speed around 80-85. Running at 30% throttle, duration is 60 minutes. And I'm only running roughly 650 watts. All out weight is 48 oz. That's with working flaps, nav and landing lamps, and a 3rd single cell lipo to run the lamps. Oh and lots of CA from the previous boink.

Her nose art says it all "PORKY".
Old 09-09-2010, 02:30 PM
Nuclear

Thanks GlacierGirl,

I will try a Power 15,
APC 10x7 electric Prop,
ESC 60amp
3s 3700mah Lipo

Running below 40mph is perfect and hope I can
cruise at a level pace at 1/2 throttle or Less.

I also hope I can fly more than 15min + with the added video weight.

P.S.
is that power combo up above only pulling 26amps? due to the big prop?
so I would not need a 60amp ESC, .....will a 40amp ESC suffice?
Old 09-09-2010, 03:15 PM
Glacier Girl
Kamikaze Ace

Yeah 26 amps more so because of the lower kv motor, vs the Power 10.

Sure you can run a 40 amp esc. Just make sure you have adequate airflow.

I ran the 60 so I didn't have to worry about it, and because I had one in the drawer that would handle 6S.
Old 09-15-2010, 07:25 AM
jim81

New person here. Don't want to totally redirect the thread but think it's generally about the T28. I have one sitting in a box waiting for a lipo to arrive. Here's the question. I have Phoenix and have a T28 downloaded. I can fly it well enough, just up and about the circuit and landing, and it seems really fairly easy. How much of a change from the simulator will the real thing be when I take it out to my flying site in the back?
I have a lot of time on the small Aeronca and a little time on the Slowstick. Ain't bent either one...yet. Thanks...jim
Old 09-15-2010, 10:02 PM
dumo01
dumo01

Originally Posted by jim81 View Post
New person here. Don't want to totally redirect the thread but think it's generally about the T28. I have one sitting in a box waiting for a lipo to arrive. Here's the question. I have Phoenix and have a T28 downloaded. I can fly it well enough, just up and about the circuit and landing, and it seems really fairly easy. How much of a change from the simulator will the real thing be when I take it out to my flying site in the back?
I have a lot of time on the small Aeronca and a little time on the Slowstick. Ain't bent either one...yet. Thanks...jim
Is your slowstick and aeronca time real time or sim time? If real time than the a good next step is the T28. I do not have the Phoenix, but the downloaded T28 I have for RF 4.5 works pretty well and behaves as does the real one.

Pick you days or time of time so you do not have too much wind to deal with, get the usual three mistakes high, and take it easy the first few flights until you get used to how it responds and it should work for you
Old 09-15-2010, 10:09 PM
lucas45

Hi.
I learnt to fly on Realflight and spent many hours on it. My first plane was the T-28... took off and had my radio set to low rates. Flew higher than normal to get the feel and then Landed on my strip that has irrigation ditches both sides! This plane is a real gem to fly. My only suggestion would be to make sure you keep enough speed when landing. If you feel you are not in control take it back up and try again. It does feel different than the sim but the sim will give you the orientation control which to me was the thing to master. The rest comes with time. The next plane I got was a Sea Fury arf. Now that plane is fast but again know what you want to do before moving those sticks. The first landing I did was wheels up in long grass. This gave me a feel of what speed I needed to land it at.
My T-28 is stock except for the radio and battery. Where I fly there is Nobody so I do not have to worry about safety issues when it comes to spectators! Enjoy the plane it is still one of my favorites.
Old 09-16-2010, 01:35 AM
Meekomagic
Meekomagic

Default T-28 Out the box

Hi guys, Although I am a new flyer, I have a Slow Stick, an Apprentice and a T-28. I have flown the Apprentice many times with a buddy box and tanked 3 times which cost me a few bucks. In the mean time I purchased a PNP T-28 from Hobby Zone. I then ordered a 6 channel receiver from HobbyKing for $15 what a buy, I am now waiting for the delivery of 2
ZIPPY Flightmax 2200mAh 3S1P 20C and they were $9 each. The prices at HobbyKing are great but it takes between 10 days and two weeks for delivery.
As far as a simulator verses the real thing, there's a big difference. All I can say is fly high and a low speed. Move you aileron and elevator controls very slight when making turns..........Mike
Old 09-16-2010, 01:46 AM
lucas45

Originally Posted by Meekomagic View Post
Hi guys, Although I am a new flyer, I have a Slow Stick, an Apprentice and a T-28. I have flown the Apprentice many times with a buddy box and tanked 3 times which cost me a few bucks. In the mean time I purchased a PNP T-28 from Hobby Zone. I then ordered a 6 channel receiver from HobbyKing for $15 what a buy, I am now waiting for the delivery of 2
ZIPPY Flightmax 2200mAh 3S1P 20C and they were $9 each. The prices at HobbyKing are great but it takes between 10 days and two weeks for delivery.
As far as a simulator verses the real thing, there's a big difference. All I can say is fly high and a low speed. Move you aileron and elevator controls very slight when making turns..........Mike
I ordered the same batteries a while back and they work well with the Trojan. I fly about 10min on those batteries.
Old 09-16-2010, 02:15 AM
cjg

I just flew one of those flightmax batts in my Trojan for the first time. It is better than the stock batteries. My vertical climb was better - using stock motor.
Old 09-16-2010, 05:32 AM
jim81

I bought a couple of the less expensive batts for both the SS and the Trojan. Less than 1/3 the price of the overpriced 'domestic' batts at the LHS.
I've seen the bad mouthing of HK and their products. I would really like to know how much of the money spent there is actually coming back to the US supporting US companies. That's an ethical issue all will have to wrestle with.
Frankly! For a person starting out in the hobby it would require a much larger 'play' budget if you didn't get some of the stuff from HK. I am new. I may get burned. But at the prices they have and the money saved, that can happen quite a few times before I lose on the deals. Everything has been fine so far.
Old 09-17-2010, 12:48 AM
cjg

As a patriot, I buy local when I can, and when prices or quality are extremely important. However, I just can't see paying $60 for a battery of less quality than the $13 one from HK. My ability to play would be limited.

I've never gotten burned, but some single cell batts for my micro plane weren't up to snuff. It was worth the risk at less than $2 each.

I also had a shipment from an HK company get lost. They sent new stuff. 2 weeks later the original showed up. The company said "keep it." Can't beat that.

Of course, always be careful with your credit card on overseas buying. I suggest a debit card with a limited amount of funds on it be used.
Old 09-17-2010, 02:35 AM
Meekomagic
Meekomagic

I hear you about supporting your local HS but they probably making 4 or 500% on those batteries they sell you. I am a patient guy so I buy from HK and wait the 2 weeks for delivery. The batteries I have purchased so far are as good as the local HS batteries or better.
I purchased a motor for my Apprentice from HobbyPartz, it was good quality but did fit the motor mount, They took it back without any problem.
I am still looking for a motor that is a perfect fit for the Apprentice and the Trojan. If anyone knows a perfect fit for either, give me a shout.................Mike
Old 09-20-2010, 06:33 PM
guapoman2000
Space Ship 1

Thumbs up My PZ T-28 "Airforce" Stock Power with 3-Blade MAS 10 X 7 X 3

Just an amazing weekend and Sunday super early morning was perfect to fly my Stock powered Park Zone T-28 "Airforce" Trojan at the local High School concrete band practice surface.

My buddy, Gerry was kind enough to take a few pictures of my Trojan while I flew it and here are some of them: (I fly with MAS 3-Blade 10 X 7 X 3)

Zooming upwards for a Hammer Head

Coming out of a Hammer Head

Slow and Low

Inverted

Landing Approach

Landing
Old 09-20-2010, 08:21 PM
jim81

Nice pictures. You can't fool me though. That one that says 'inverted' is just a slow upright pass and you rotated the picture 180 degrees. LOL jim
Old 09-20-2010, 08:48 PM
TM4197
Dope&Fabric

Thats way to funny!! But, if you look at the pilot in the inverted pic, you can see his veins bulging. Must be inverted! NICE PLANE!!! and nice pics!
Old 09-20-2010, 10:47 PM
guapoman2000
Space Ship 1

Question Inverted Pic

Originally Posted by jim81 View Post
Nice pictures. You can't fool me though. That one that says 'inverted' is just a slow upright pass and you rotated the picture 180 degrees. LOL jim
Yes very funny!

I spend enough time off loading digital pictures off my or my buddy's Camera and then, time to upload or at times edit.

It would be the last thing I would do to try and fool anyone about flying inverted as the shadow is certainly on the top portion of the FUSE and you can see the Pilot in the dark plus the bottom Fuse and Bottom wing areas have sunlight.

In order to really make things perfect you not only need to just "flip" the picture 180 but, you need to spend some additional time to provide the shadow and lighting.

Believe me, I do not like to do all that editing.

Carlos
Old 09-21-2010, 04:37 AM
Meekomagic
Meekomagic

I live in Clermont, where do you fly............Mike
Old 09-21-2010, 04:44 AM
Meekomagic
Meekomagic

Carlos, I belong to the RCACF club in Apopka, I am a new flyer and I have an instructor who is teaching me. I also have an Apprentice....Mike
Old 09-21-2010, 11:33 AM
guapoman2000
Space Ship 1

Originally Posted by Meekomagic View Post
Carlos, I belong to the RCACF club in Apopka, I am a new flyer and I have an instructor who is teaching me. I also have an Apprentice....Mike

Hi Mike,

I have been to RCACF perhaps twice and the last time was during an Electric Fun Fly back in March / April of this year. I believe Jason Roof is a member over there and he belongs to East Orlando RC Association (EORCA) and I know him for several years.

Of course Mr. Graves (owner of GravesRC) is a member for as long as I known him and I have beat him on one hand of chess and to this day he has not figured out how!

Anyway, that is very good news that you have an instructor to teach you the basics of RC Airplane flying. The Apprentice is a very good model but, at times I do not think a tricycle geared trainer (with nose wheel steering) is the best as you need to teach yourself the importance of Rudder commanding.

I have seen many that get trained with a Tricycle geared trainer and then, they buy a Warbird or another advanced model that is a "Trail Dragger" only to see them crash it at the safety fence because they did not get the feel of Rudder Control during take-off and landings.

I am sure you are in good hands, just giving you some of my 0.02 cents worth.

Regards,
Carlos

Quick Reply: T28 Trojan

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.10363 seconds with 14 queries