Radian - a new plane from Parkzone - Page 32 - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Hi-Performance and Sailplanes RC hotliners, electric pylon racers, F5B, F5D, sailplanes and gliders

Radian - a new plane from Parkzone

Old 08-19-2010, 08:19 PM
Numbthumbs
Master of Bisaster

Also; I agree completely with NumbThumbs (maybe not so numb, huh?).

Hehe the numbness is wearing off the more I fly.

On a side note, grrr. that red ink...one second...Ok that is better

I flew in some 6-10mph winds today with the Radian. I have to say I am impressed with how it handled it. I thought I would be fighting the sticks the whole time, but she did great. The first flight I flew with the 1300mah battery. It got blown around a bit, but still quite manageable. It made some very long turns though.

On the second flight, I put the 2200mah battery in and it handled the wind with total ease. I even managed to find some thermal lift. All in all, a good day. It has been raining cats and dogs for the last three weeks here and today was the first nice day we had. The weekend promises more nice weather, so I hope to get some slope soaring in too! It will be my first time, so I am going with some club members to the slope who will hopefully make me an expert in a day Unfortunately, the Radian will not be along for that ride because the slope is no motor only...

Old 08-20-2010, 04:30 AM
MWShelton

Numb I've got my keychain camera ready to go and its been raining cats and dogs and frogs and everything else here all week. Tomorrow is supposed to be nice but I have so much to do. I'll probably have to wait to fly next week. I'm anxious to try the little cam out. Test vidioes turned out great. I have a couple of 2200 batterys. Good to know they do well in the wind. Thanks for the info.
Old 08-20-2010, 06:00 AM
Numbthumbs
Master of Bisaster

Originally Posted by MWShelton View Post
Numb I've got my keychain camera ready to go and its been raining cats and dogs and frogs and everything else here all week. Tomorrow is supposed to be nice but I have so much to do. I'll probably have to wait to fly next week. I'm anxious to try the little cam out. Test vidioes turned out great. I have a couple of 2200 batterys. Good to know they do well in the wind. Thanks for the info.
Good luck, hope you get her up in the air, I can't wait to see the vids after!
Old 08-20-2010, 07:02 AM
mclarkson
Super Contributor

Here's an edited video from my thermal adventure.
[media]http://www.vimeo.com/14283104[/media]

Please don't mock me overmuch. I usually fly much better than this, but I was having a very hard time trimming the plane once it was 1,000+ feet in the air.

I hadn't really planned on making this flight, but you can't ignore the fortuitous hawk when it appears!
Old 08-20-2010, 12:36 PM
squidger

Nice vid.Looks like a perfect flying day. Really nice flying site.
Old 08-20-2010, 06:32 PM
Numbthumbs
Master of Bisaster

Ditto that, nice job!
Old 08-20-2010, 06:54 PM
TM4197
Dope&Fabric

PRETTY RIDE!!
Old 08-20-2010, 08:17 PM
MWShelton

Mc you almost had me believing there weren't any thermals in Kansas. Yee Haa!!! Great Job!!!
Old 08-20-2010, 09:47 PM
mclarkson
Super Contributor

It's the first time I've found one. The conditions were quite particular: bright sun, no clouds, not much wind, hot but not super-hot.

I never noticed a single symptom of a thermal (other than the hawk) so I still don't know what to watch for (other than the hawk). Sadly, that's also the only time I've seen a hawk near my field.

I think the secret was that I had NO intention of looking for thermals and was completely unready for it.
Old 08-25-2010, 06:07 AM
MIG17

New guy to the Radian family-
I've had mine now for 8 days and it has a dozen flights of 20 minutes plus. I bought it for a better camera ship, and it has not been a disappointment.

Having never piloted a sailplane I didn't know what to expect when I tossed it for the first time. The first launch was, I thought, pretty ugly. When you have to push on the down stick on a maiden flight can scare the begeejesus out of you. Once I figured out to KILL the power, then it started behaving.

I have since found out that at the top of the launch, to avoid the violent stall, don't pull the power back until its straight and level
to stop the porpoising during the flights, trim some down elevator
It will slide off of a wing pretty easily, (I found this out showing off low and slow and trying to turn around during landing)
Trim full down elevator when landing, or it won't come down

I have never owned an airplane that will fly just on the trims like this one will
I have never owned an airplane that my wife, (of 27 years), said, "thats really cool" (what?)
In fact, I handed her the transmitter about 6 times tonight, she had no idea what she was doing, but she wants to do it again, (what??)

What I really get off on with this plane is the low and slow strafing runs that this will do

I built a camera mount on the wing, no trim adjustments needed, perfect plane for AP

This is one awesome piece of foam

Steve
Old 08-25-2010, 06:28 AM
Numbthumbs
Master of Bisaster

Funny Steve, my wife said the same thing. It is the only plane she even remotely showed interest in flying. It is a winner for sure! It is now my most flown plane this summer, my hotliner being my second. It has definitely sparked my interest in slope soaring and full-house gliders as well.
Old 08-25-2010, 06:34 AM
mclarkson
Super Contributor

Welcome! I was out flying mine tonite in 20MPH+ winds (because I'm stoopid.)
Old 08-25-2010, 06:48 AM
MIG17

HAHA- The wind was blowing hard here for 3 days- I couldn't take it anymore and try to fly the Radian, it took off, and then just sat there, 20 ft in the air, hovering, enough time for me to get ahold of my senses and get her down and go home in one piece

Steve
Old 08-25-2010, 07:11 AM
pattern14
Super Contributor

Default uglystar

Could not find a simple foam trainer anywhere locally, or interstate, that was anywhere near suitable for my purposes. I managed to pick up a set of radian wings at an end of year sale, for next to nothing, in the next biggest town. No Idea why it was so cheap, as pz stuff is so overpriced here, but they were almost giving them away To cut a long story short, I made a fuse from scrap epp cut up and 3m super 77'd together, a tail from an old real estate sign, and electrics left over from "retired" combat planes.The covering was all my old bits of leftover packing tape. Looks like an easystar that went through a blender, but flies well enough to teach people on. The whole thing, including radio gear, was $80.00AUD. I'll do a build story under "uglystar" in the beginners section
Old 08-25-2010, 09:18 AM
mclarkson
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by MIG17 View Post
HAHA- The wind was blowing hard here for 3 days- I couldn't take it anymore and try to fly the Radian, it took off, and then just sat there, 20 ft in the air, hovering, enough time for me to get ahold of my senses and get her down and go home in one piece

Steve
The plane was blowing backwards across the sky. At one point, my son was trying to run after it and catch it but it was going too fast, even though it was flying "toward" him.

//edit: Here's a video.
http://www.vimeo.com/14440191

Last edited by mclarkson; 08-26-2010 at 05:13 AM. Reason: added video link
Old 08-25-2010, 01:24 PM
AEAJR
Community Moderator

Originally Posted by mclarkson View Post
Welcome! I was out flying mine tonite in 20MPH+ winds (because I'm stoopid.)
Try that again, but this time slide a steel rod inside the wing rod. That should add about 7 ounces to the weight of the plane and see how she flies.

I normally only friction fit my wings but with a full steel rod in the wing rod you might want to tape the wings for a little extra security.
Old 08-25-2010, 02:05 PM
MWShelton

[Quote = MIG17 ; 744 757 ]

This is one awesome piece of foam

Steve[/QUOTE] I agree. My wife does her Christmas shopping early. She asked me a couple of weeks ago what I wanted for Christmas. I picked out this sailplane.
The Nellie arrived yesterday. We opened the box to make sure everything is OK. Then my wife sealed it back up. I wont see it again til Christmas. The Nellie is a gorgeous plane but I bet the Radian will out perform it in light lift. The Radian is one piece of foam PZ got right. The Nellie has a thinner airfoil and will probably be faster and more aerobatic but when it comes to light lift is there anything that will outperform a Radian? Ed can you answer that?
Old 08-25-2010, 05:02 PM
TM4197
Dope&Fabric

MW: I have flown the Nellie before, you will like it!! A little faster with better penetration.

when it comes to light lift is there anything that will out perform a Radian?

The only sailplane I can put against the Radian would be my Old Hobie Hawk. For back in the day...that was way ahead of its time. And still is a monster floater.
Old 08-26-2010, 04:08 AM
mclarkson
Super Contributor

I was out tonite flying the ol' Radian around. As I pulled up out of a loop - power off - I saw something fluttering near the plane.

At first I thought it was one of the little birds that sometimes chase my plane around but, in a moment, I could tell that it was something falling down from the plane. I was sure it was my camera and camera mount. I brought the plane in low over my head for a visual inspection and, what do you know, she had no nose. Prop, spinner, everything ... not there.

So I landed and tromped out into the field where I thought I saw it fall and found my prop. Now I gotta figure out what all is missing and get it replaced. I *think* it's just the nut...

Boo!
Old 08-26-2010, 08:25 AM
squidger

Sorry to hear of your mishap. You say you found the prop. Does it have the adapter still in it. If so it's just a nut and spinner cover you need. If not you will need an adapter and spinner cover.
Old 08-26-2010, 09:12 AM
mclarkson
Super Contributor

I've never had it apart before, so I'm not sure what might or might not be missing. Here's what I've got.

The ... dingus on the motor shaft seems to be a bit loose, as well. Looks like there's a set screw in there?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6978.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	280.1 KB
ID:	134138   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6979.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	248.7 KB
ID:	134139   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6980.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	241.1 KB
ID:	134140   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6981.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	261.4 KB
ID:	134141  
Old 08-26-2010, 11:07 AM
mclarkson
Super Contributor

Follow up: I cannot tell what the heck is going on in the dingus. There are the remnants of LockTite but no matter how hard I look in the hole, or what tools I probe around with, I can't tell what's in there. I got my reading glasses, then a magnifying glass, then a digital microscope(!)

Can anyone who's taken this apart give me a hint about what's in there? I'd like to tighten it up if I can. I'm attaching snapshots taken with my microscope.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	setscrew1.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	252.7 KB
ID:	134142   Click image for larger version

Name:	setscrew2.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	211.7 KB
ID:	134143  
Old 08-26-2010, 12:51 PM
Numbthumbs
Master of Bisaster

It is a set screw. IIRC a 1.5mm Alan Wrench will fit it nicely. Love how they just slop the Loctite on top of it.

Some have reported heating up the alan wrench to red-hot with a small torch then dropping it in there will loosen up the red loctite. Good luck!
Old 08-26-2010, 01:52 PM
AEAJR
Community Moderator

Cool

Originally Posted by mclarkson View Post
I was out tonite flying the ol' Radian around. As I pulled up out of a loop - power off - I saw something fluttering near the plane.

At first I thought it was one of the little birds that sometimes chase my plane around but, in a moment, I could tell that it was something falling down from the plane. I was sure it was my camera and camera mount. I brought the plane in low over my head for a visual inspection and, what do you know, she had no nose. Prop, spinner, everything ... not there.

So I landed and tromped out into the field where I thought I saw it fall and found my prop. Now I gotta figure out what all is missing and get it replaced. I *think* it's just the nut...

Boo!
This is a good warning to everyone.

While we will never know for sure, chances are you had a crack somewhere in the nose that built up over time. During this flight it finally let go.

We need to check our planes often, whether they are foam or wood or whatever. Even moderate landings can stress joints introducing cracks. If they are allowed to remain the will spread and eventually break.

I would be that is what happened to you.

I was putting my Radian away one day and noticed a crack just in front of the door where the servos it, on the bottom. A little glue applied at that time saved me a failed fuselage at some future time.

Check your planes before the first flight of the day and before you put it away.
Old 08-26-2010, 03:04 PM
MIG17

Landing my Radian over Bear Butte Lake last night- Sun could have stayed up an extra 1/2 hour and I wouldn't have minded.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAgBVTkQJFI[/media]
Steve

Quick Reply: Radian - a new plane from Parkzone

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.10506 seconds with 19 queries