Just got T-28 Trojan. A few newb questions - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Beginners New to e-power flying? Get the low down in here from experienced e-power RC pilots!

Just got T-28 Trojan. A few newb questions

Old 08-19-2010, 02:17 AM
Sagiv

Question Just got T-28 Trojan. A few newb questions

I just picked up my T-28 Trojan an hour ago (thanks to many recommendations from this forum) and I have a few questions:

1) After the initial bind to my DX6i is complete, is the receiver supposed to keep making a solid, annoying tone that never stops? All my control surfaces and motor work...but isn't it supposed to just beep a couple of times and stop?

2) I have 3 screwdrivers and non of them is skinny enough to reach the front landing gear screw. One of these is a precision screwdriver. The only way I see that I can tighten this screw is to remove the front cowling (I don't really wanna do this unless I have to) So am I missing something here? Is there a different angle to get at this thing? Or do I just need a longer screwdriver? (har har)

Thanks guys.

Sagiv
Old 08-19-2010, 02:39 AM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

Not sure on the screw thing. Most of them are hex head set scrws but I haven't seen the setup on your plane up close so I am not certain on that.

The rx should not be making any noise once it is bound. Sometimes the servos will make a little whining noise but not a steady tone like you describe.

Maybe try rebinding it and see what it does.
Old 08-19-2010, 03:08 AM
Sagiv

Is it possible that the Rx is making that horrible sound because the battery is low?
Old 08-19-2010, 03:14 AM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

is it a constant tone or intermittent? It wouldn't hurt to charge the battery just to make sure.
Old 08-19-2010, 03:18 AM
Sagiv

It beeps a couple of times intermittently, and then settles on a constant annoying tone.
Old 08-19-2010, 03:27 AM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

yeah that doesn't sound right. Charge up the battery and see if that stops it.

Hopefully someone that has one of these will pop in here in a few with ad idea.
Old 08-19-2010, 03:35 AM
Sagiv

It's an AR 500 receiver.

I think this might be important. I disconnected the Y connector which was plugged into the aileron port on the Rx.

I plugged the right aileron into the aileron port, and the left aileron into the other aileron port....at least I think it's an aileron port. They both say "aile" on them.

As I've said....all control surfaces work properly....it's just that blasted tone that's driving me crazy.
Old 08-19-2010, 03:44 AM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

Is this a new plug and play model? If you're using a y harness and you had the wing type on the Tx set to flaperon that may have caused the problem

If you plug into both Aileron ports on the ar500 individually then you'll want the flaperon wing type, if you use the y harness, which is fine, then you set the wing type to normal
Old 08-19-2010, 03:51 AM
Sagiv

Originally Posted by firemanbill View Post
Is this a new plug and play model? If you're using a y harness and you had the wing type on the Tx set to flaperon that may have caused the problem

If you plug into both Aileron ports on the ar500 individually then you'll want the flaperon wing type, if you use the y harness, which is fine, then you set the wing type to normal

It is a Bind N Fly. So along with buying the plane, I bought 2 servo extention wires (so I can plug them into 2 separate spots in the Rx for flapperons instead of the Y connector that it came with stock).

I haven't messed with any flap setting on the Tx yet....I just binded the plane to the stock "model 1" on my DX6i.....all control functions and throttle work, but this blasted sound is horrible. lol.
Old 08-19-2010, 03:56 AM
Team_Oz
Electrical Rookie

I can't help you with the noise, but on the screw problem my suggestion is to take all of the gear off of it and hand launch/belly land. If you are using any type of grass runway the gear will not last a week... after two nose first touch and go's my nose gear broke out the attach point and I had to remove the gear anyway. Great airplane and besides it looks more scale like with the gear gone anyway :-)
Old 08-19-2010, 03:58 AM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

Then you'll need to set your wing type to dual aileron/flaperon, even though you won't be using flaps you still have to set the Tx to that. Page 44/45 of your tx manual expalins it.
Old 08-19-2010, 04:45 AM
Turner
Super Contributor

The AR500 only has one aileron channel. It has two slots for plugging in two aileron servos but it is just one channel and the same as using a Y harness.

Are you sure the tone is not coming from one of the servos?
Old 08-19-2010, 04:52 AM
Sagiv

Ok I just changed out the AR500 with the AR6200 that came with my DX6i.

I got everything to work, including flapperons....but it keeps making that blasted noise. I've charged the battery, and CHANGED RECEIVERS, and the new receiver is making that same noise. Do you want me to make a video? would it help if you could see and hear what I'm seeing and hearing?
Old 08-19-2010, 05:09 AM
Sagiv

Here is the video guys
Old 08-19-2010, 12:46 PM
Numbthumbs
Master of Bisaster

I can't watch that video at work, but the T-28 is infamous for that annoying, constant peeping tone. It is your digital servos, not your receiver. The servos are fine, the sound is totally normal. It will get less and less over time. I have two T-28's (one is RIP) and both made that sound. No need to worry.

You need to take the cowl off (3 tiny screws hold it on) to get to the steering knuckle screw. The question is, why would you want to? You can adjust the trim directly on the (peeping!) servo.

Belly landing is no problem with the T-28 in case you want to fly without gear. Use your throttle cut function to kill the prop spin before you land to prolong your props' life. You will still break the odd one however, so have some backups ready. If the grass is cut well enough, it should be ok with gear, if it is not regularly cut, take the LG off!

Also, I highly recommend taping the leading edges of the wings, the INSIDE of the cowl (it still looks good and it is bulletproofed) and the bottom of the fuse with good, strong packing tape to help against road rash. I do this even if I leave the gear on.

Cheers, and have fun with the T-28, it is a great plane!
Old 08-19-2010, 02:21 PM
SHADY
Got Glue??

The tone is normal for digital servos, I promise, you won't hear it after it's in the air.lol...
As for the front set screw on the landing gear, you can get to it with a long enough screwdriver, but you have to 'tweek' it upwards a bit to bite on the screw.
My nephew bought his last week and had all the same issues you are having.
It is also very easy to remove the cowl and access the front screw.
IMO, do not belly land, i almost always crack a prop when doing so. Besides, it's way more fun to touch and go than to scrape your new plane on the ground.
Also, tape your control surface hinges to re-enforce them, my elevator broke off in flight yesterday...

Last edited by SHADY; 08-19-2010 at 02:37 PM.
Old 08-19-2010, 05:30 PM
Sagiv

Originally Posted by SHADY View Post
The tone is normal for digital servos, I promise, you won't hear it after it's in the air.lol...
As for the front set screw on the landing gear, you can get to it with a long enough screwdriver, but you have to 'tweek' it upwards a bit to bite on the screw.
My nephew bought his last week and had all the same issues you are having.
It is also very easy to remove the cowl and access the front screw.
IMO, do not belly land, i almost always crack a prop when doing so. Besides, it's way more fun to touch and go than to scrape your new plane on the ground.
Also, tape your control surface hinges to re-enforce them, my elevator broke off in flight yesterday...

HUGE help. Thank you very much.

Sagiv
Old 08-20-2010, 02:55 AM
Sagiv

Well I just noticed that my rudder is reversed. I know I can reverse that channel on my radio, but I'd rather fix it physically if I can (reversing how it's plugged it?)

So, #1) Why is it reversed?
#2) Can I make it right without reversing on the radio?

Thanks again guys,

Sagiv
Old 08-20-2010, 03:11 AM
SHADY
Got Glue??

Originally Posted by Sagiv View Post
Well I just noticed that my rudder is reversed. I know I can reverse that channel on my radio, but I'd rather fix it physically if I can (reversing how it's plugged it?)

So, #1) Why is it reversed?
#2) Can I make it right without reversing on the radio?

Thanks again guys,

Sagiv

Not exactly sure how to reverse servos on the DX6, I do know there is an adjustment on the Tx somewhere.
The Dx5 has switches on the front.... Check your manual, there is sure to be an answer there...
Old 08-20-2010, 03:15 AM
Sagiv

Not exactly sure how to reverse servos on the DX6, I do know there is an adjustment on the Tx somewhere.
The Dx5 has switches on the front.... Check your manual, there is sure to be an answer there...
Right...but I don't want to reverse it on the radio unless that's the only way. Why would mine just come reversed? Does this just happen? Some people get reversed servos?

Also, I'm having trouble charging my battery. When the battery is plugged into the included charger and I press the start button, it will flash red (charging) for about 1 second, and then go to flashing green (ready to charge).....at no point does it give me solid green (charge complete). Am I doing something wrong here?
Old 08-20-2010, 03:25 AM
SHADY
Got Glue??

In my opinion switching it on the controller is the easiest/best way to go.
Check the connection to the Rx to be sure it's not plugged in wrong.

Those OEM chargers aren't very reliable, I would definitely suggest springing for a good 'quick charger', I have a Turnigy, it can charge Lipos, Nicad, Lead Acid and more types of batteries...
Old 08-20-2010, 03:28 AM
Sagiv

In my opinion switching it on the controller is the easiest/best way to go.
Check the connection to the Rx to be sure it's not plugged in wrong.

Those OEM chargers aren't very reliable, I would definitely suggest springing for a good 'quick charger', I have a Turnigy, it can charge Lipos, Nicad, Lead Acid and more types of batteries...

Is it possible that I plugged it in backward? (I thought it could only go in one way)
Old 08-20-2010, 03:32 AM
SHADY
Got Glue??

It is possible, the connectors are not so very different, they can be plugged in backwards, I have done it....
Old 08-20-2010, 03:46 AM
Sagiv

Ok, I'll reverse the rudder channel.

Still need help figuring out what's going on with my battery charger. Any of you T-28 pilots come across what's happening to me?
Old 08-20-2010, 06:07 AM
Numbthumbs
Master of Bisaster

The main point of being able to reverse on the TX is so that you don't have to take the servo out and re-glue it in the right position. Why do it the hard way??

On the DX6i, from the Main list, press the roller button, go to option 9 (setup list), then go to "Reverse" and press the roller again. Scroll to Rudd and if it is on R, change it to N, or vice versa.

When you say "at no point" does it give me a solid green, how long are you waiting? It should take at least an hour, up to two. Maybe it is already fully charged? Surest way to tell is with a wattmeter, or a decent charger. The balance plug is hard to plug in backwards, because on the bottom, it has two grooves. I don't know the charger you mean, but do you plug in both the EC3 AND the balance plug, or just the balance plug? Could be the battery is bunk as well. A wattmeter or good charger will tell you for sure, and before you risk your plane.

Two of the best investments you can make in the hobby are the above two mentioned items. I and many others will recommend getting them.

Cheers,

Quick Reply: Just got T-28 Trojan. A few newb questions

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.10037 seconds with 14 queries