Top Flite Monokote - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Scratch and Kit Built Aircraft Discuss and share your scratch built or kit built aircraft as well as building techniques, methods, mediums and resources.

Top Flite Monokote

Old 03-01-2018, 11:48 PM
garyp1029

Default Top Flite Monokote

I have read that a few years ago there was a problem of getting Monokote to shrink. Anyone know if that is still a problem? Thanks.
Old 03-01-2018, 11:53 PM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

I just recently covered my 1/5 scale Waco with Monokote with no issues. I do like Ultracote better but couldn't get it in the color I wanted for the Waco
Old 03-02-2018, 12:55 AM
birdDog
Charging....

A few of us have been using the film from ValueHobby. You can not beat the price. Shrinks what seems to be a mile. Sticks as well as Ultracote. One guy swears it is identical to ultracote but I think it is a little bit stiffer. The stuff from Hobbyking "aint bad",butI will continue to use the stuff from ValueHobby.
In my experience, the current version of Monocote seems to require quite a bit more heat.
Old 03-02-2018, 06:03 AM
Wildflyer
Past President of PSSF

Monokote has always been a high heat material, I use it on tough strong airframes because it will pull hard, a glider wing might crush.

I have never had a time where it did not shrink.

Some materials may shrink or stretch more or less than others, but that's why we have different types. Compound curves will test your ability, I find the hot air blowers used for making greeting card to be very helpful. Mine has an outlet about 1/2" dia, you can really get into tight spots.
Old 03-02-2018, 12:36 PM
solentlife
Super Contributor

I used a domestic iron for years .. great for flats but always had those awkward spots. Then I bought the Solarfilm Iron ... then I realised what I had been missing.
I also had a Hot Air gun designed for film use instead of the too low temp Hairdryer or too hot Paint Stripper versions

Of course that was many years ago and I lost them ..

Scroll fwd many years and I bought the Hobby King Iron and their 'pizza cutter' .... magic. All I need now is another Hot Air gun for film.

I use nearly always HK film now as Solarfilm - my preferred is too expensive ...

HK film - I like but its heavier than Solarfilm and has that white adhesive back that 'creeps' leaving a joint line. Why they cannot have clear like others ?

Nigel
Old 03-02-2018, 03:33 PM
Panther
Super Contributor

I mainly use the Hobby King film and just wipe the joint with some acetone quickly to remove the glue line but I don't really have a problem with it. I have a iron with a digital display and I write down the temps for each different film I use. 5 degrees can make quite a difference sometimes. I got the digital iron for less than what some were charging for the iron with the adjustable knob.
Old 03-02-2018, 04:11 PM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

Once again this hobby shows the variations that make it so great. So many different methods, brands, and ways of making it all work. I learn something just about every time I read one of these threads.

And all done without smashing other products. Great input guys.