General Electric Discussions Talk about topics related to e-powered RC flying

Midwest Aero Electric

Old 10-28-2008, 09:26 PM
Voltron

Default Midwest Aero Electric

I recently purchased a mint condition Midwest Aero Electric at a swap meet. I would like to obtain a manual for this plane. I contacted Midwest Products to see if I could download or purchase a manual from them. Midwest's Customer Service responded that they no longer have any information available for this plane. Does someone on this forum have a manual that they are willing to part with? I would not mind a copy if the owner does not want to part with their original.
Old 01-27-2009, 06:18 PM
Voltron

Default Balance Point of Aero Electric

I hate to bump this thread, but I did not get a response to my request for a manual. I am ready to install the radio, battery and speed control in my Midwest Aero-Electric and need to know where the balance point is from the leading edge of the wing. Does anyone out there have any experience or information on this aircraft?

Voltron
Old 03-07-2009, 03:21 PM
Ken C.

I am a little late on this but have just registered. I was looking for some info on this plane myself. I am sure you have worked the CG out by now.

I am flying one and they do fly very well.

I have no manual as this one was given to me complete...and not terribly well-built...it was a guy's first project...that is another story.

If you are still wondering...<g>...I balance mine at 2-1/4" behind the L.E. and oddly enough, that is where it balances without the wing.

I have flown it on everything from 7-1 ah nicads to 7-1.7 ah nicads.

I was going to stick a little image of a take off here but I couldn't because this was my first post.

Ken C.
Old 03-07-2009, 05:38 PM
Voltron

Originally Posted by Ken C. View Post
I am a little late on this but have just registered. I was looking for some info on this plane myself. I am sure you have worked the CG out by now.

I am flying one and they do fly very well.

I have no manual as this one was given to me complete...and not terribly well-built...it was a guy's first project...that is another story.

If you are still wondering...<g>...I balance mine at 2-1/4" behind the L.E. and oddly enough, that is where it balances without the wing.

I have flown it on everything from 7-1 ah nicads to 7-1.7 ah nicads.

I was going to stick a little image of a take off here but I couldn't because this was my first post.

Ken C.
Hello Ken C. Thank you for the response and welcome to Wattflyer. I found the balance information I needed on the other forum. I'm surprised that I did not get a response sooner on this forum. The members on this forum are very informative and willing to help if someone has a question.

My Aeroelectric is now finished and waiting for its maiden flight if the wind ever stops blowing.

The original electric setup was pretty basic, just a servo controlled on/off switch for the motor and a fuse. I set my plane up with an ESC and a 3 cell Lipoly battery. I also added ailerons. I can't wait to see how it flies.

Do you still have the original brushed motor in your plane? If so, does it have enough power? I plan to try my plane first with the original motor and maybe later change it over to brushless.

Thanks again for the response,
Voltron

Last edited by Voltron; 03-07-2009 at 05:40 PM. Reason: typo
Old 03-07-2009, 06:27 PM
Ken C.

<snippage>
Originally Posted by Voltron View Post
The original electric setup was pretty basic, just a servo controlled on/off switch for the motor and a fuse. I set my plane up with an ESC and a 3 cell Lipoly battery. I also added ailerons. I can't wait to see how it flies.

Do you still have the original brushed motor in your plane? If so, does it have enough power? I plan to try my plane first with the original motor and maybe later change it over to brushless.

Thanks again for the response,
Voltron
Well, I tell you, Voltron, I did nothing to the motor and didn't know what it was other than it looked like a 500 ferrite. I put an 8-4 on it because it looked right.

The big servos were already in it and I had an old ESC (no BEC) and I put that and an old Ace receiver in it. As you can tell, I wasn't expecting much.

I charged a 7-cell, 1 amp pack and went to the field. There were several OFBs there and I told them that the model was a gift and "If it will take-off, I will fly it. It it takes off, watch for 'snap-roll city' because that is what I expect it to do."

Everyone lined up to see the show.

I gave it power, it went down the field...the thrust was pushing the nose over on the trike pretty good so I gave a little up and lifted right off.

I was really being careful on that first turn.

It flew extremely well...and a fair while. I have since flown it a lot. I have taken off a bare spot at the top of a river levee, one car track lane across a field, and it does fine.

There are some questions though. I didn't like the lightness of the wing and didn't feel comfortable trying to loop or roll it. Later, I clipped a wing tip landing as the motor batteries were dying, and the wing pivoted on the two T.E. screws and folded back.

No spar! The two wings were butt glued at the roots. Was that wing really sparless? I have since opened the bottom sheeting and put a ply dihedral brace in it. I will check it tomorrow. It will fly fine.

I should not have removed that much monokote because I could see some more of how poorly it was built. Considering these things, it is a lot better model than I first thought.

Oh, yeah, the motor has a flux ring on it besides.

This is it taking off the car track.

Ken C.
Old 03-08-2009, 01:31 AM
Voltron

Ken C.
Based on your setup, It looks like my Aeroelectric should have enough power. With the 3 Cell Lipoly I should have about 2.7 more volts and less weight than your nicad. I also used an ESC with BEC a fairly small Hitec receiver and mini servos. I did add a little weight with the ailerons, but the added wing area should provide a little more lift. I used a 9 gram micro servo for the ailerons for size and weight reasons. I imagine I will have to use full throttle sparingly because I'm not sure how long the brushless motor will hold up at 11.1 volts.

I am also surprised that there is no wing spar where the two wing halves join together. There are two small 1/8" x 1/4" basswood spars in each wing half, but nothing at the joint. My wing has been fiberglassed in the center where the two halves join. It seems pretty strong, but time will tell.

I was also told to beef up the former at the front of the fuselage where the pivot for the nose wheel attaches. I am told that the light ply does not hold up very well to rough landings. Not that I've ever had a rough landing. If you believe that, I'll tell you another one.

Voltron

Last edited by Voltron; 03-08-2009 at 03:54 AM.
Old 03-08-2009, 03:39 AM
Ken C.

<snippage>
Originally Posted by Voltron View Post
Ken C.
I am also surprised that there is no wing spar where the two wing halves join together. There are two small 1/8" x 1/4" basswood spars in each wing half, but nothing at the joint. My wing has been fiberglassed in the center where the two haveds join. It seems pretty strong, but time will tell.
Voltron
OK, so mine is not oversight. There is no spar brace between wings...except in mine. <g>

Glassing the joint is not the same distribution of loads as a spar brace would have but you are not having the heavy batteries I have.

When you try your first loop or snap roll, try to have someone on the field doing some video taping. <g>

Ken C.
Old 03-24-2009, 04:14 AM
orion318

Default Aero-Lectric

Voltron...

How did the Midwest Aero-lectric do with ailerons added? Did you do a basic set up for them? Also what kind of motor are you running in yours?

Thanks....
Old 03-26-2009, 01:23 AM
Voltron

Originally Posted by orion318 View Post
Voltron...

How did the Midwest Aero-lectric do with ailerons added? Did you do a basic set up for them? Also what kind of motor are you running in yours?

Thanks....
I haven't flown the plane yet to try it. I have only had one decent weather day since I finished it. I took it to the field and could not get enough power out of it to get it airborne. I only have one battery that is big enough for this size plane and I suspect there is something wrong with it. I haven't had a chance to check out what is wrong yet.

I am using the stock brushed motor and prop that came with the plane. It is either a 550 or 600 motor, I'm not sure which.

To answer your aileron question, I just used a basic setup with the servo mounted in the top of the wing.

I'm pretty sure I am going to convert this plane to a brushless system, but I wanted to try it with the brushed motor first.

I'll probably see if I can borrow a battery from someone in my club to try it again if the wind ever stops blowing here.

I don't want to purchase any more batteries for this now until I decide what I am going to put in it for a brushless setup.

I'll let you know how it flies once I get it airborne.

Voltron