Have an "Extra Stiffy"-don't like the weight. - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

3D Flying Discuss everything related to "3D" flying including construction, power setups and flying techniques

Have an "Extra Stiffy"-don't like the weight.

Old 05-09-2009, 09:01 PM
Sttingcheese

Default Have an "Extra Stiffy"-don't like the weight.

I have an OMP "Extra Stiffy" epp-depron foam plane. I am not allowed to post a link yet but I'm sure you know where to find the plane at ohio model planes.

To me it seems to be very heavy while having too much lift (too little wing loading) at the same time. As a beginner I don't know if that makes much sense. It also feels unstable during my attempts at 3D. It does not have any forgiveness when it falls out of harriers, I think because of its weight. the rudder is not designed all that well and looses center during high speed loops. I think there is simply too much play in it. I am looking for a new ariframe to replace my Stiffy.

I was very excited by the Airfoilz 540 but after reading the manual decided the build is too complicated for me. I have little workspace and I am clumsy with glue. I have also looked at the Superzoom and Flash. They are both a little too pricy.

I would like an airframe that feels lighter than my stiffy but that will allow me to transfer my hardware to it. I have a Hacker A20-20L and x20 pro esc and have both 1350 3s and some 2100 3s packs.

I have been really looking at the epp planes a lot. They all seem to have very light wing-loading as well. The planes I do like are Hyperions Sniper, the Superzoom, and the Flash. None of these planes fit my power set up though. I looked at electrifly's planes and while they are nice They are expensive because of the included motor equipment and would take some modification to make my Hacker fit. And I think my haker set up is too powerful and requires too much battery for the electrifly planes. I have not got to the e-foamies sight because it is currently under construction.

I want a plane I can crash some while learning, but not another tank like my stiffy. I know someone here on wattflyer can point me the right direction. Thanks for your help guys and gals!

Mike
Old 05-09-2009, 09:37 PM
Rabbitcreekok
Community Moderator

Hello Mike and welcome to Wattflyer.

I am not a 3D flyer so I don't really know what to recommend. However, you are on the right track with the EPP foam. It is really light and durable. It will survive many bounces.

I am going to move your thread to the 3D forum. I think you will get more responses there, rather than in beginners.
Old 05-09-2009, 10:03 PM
Sttingcheese

Thanks. I have a hard time figuring out where I should be posting, most of the time.
Old 05-09-2009, 11:02 PM
Nitro Blast
Community Moderator

Mike, the AirfoilZ arent as hard as they seem.

I can actually take one out of the bags, and have it flight ready in about an hour, but thats because I've built a few.

The instructions are good, but wordy. Seems more complicated than it does with the parts in your hand.

Even the hardest part, building the center I beam spar is pretty simple and you dont need much room. I build the spar into the wing different from the instructions as they say to put it in on its side and twist it over. I just slide it down in the correct orentation and run thin CA glue down the seam inside. Gravity works.

I just use CA on the motor mount, and hot glue to put in the servos. I use the control rod sparingly, and it gives me enough to replace the cheezy tailwheel wire with a piece of carbon.
(as seen in my video here)
[media]http://vimeo.com/4370059[/media]

I also just slip the landing gear into the block, and drip some epoxy down on top of it on planes where I'm using landing gear (90% of the time).

Use CA hinges, skip the thin decals (they WILL come off) use velcro to hold on your RX, ESC and battery. You are golden.
Old 05-09-2009, 11:19 PM
Sttingcheese

I know you like airfoilz a lot. I think they might be a little fragile for me as well. I am not trying to be argumentative. I am just worried about having something I spend hours on then break first flight.
Old 05-10-2009, 06:48 AM
Sttingcheese

After some further research I found the Hyperion sniper might be just right for me. I'm going to start another thread for where to buy one from.
Old 05-15-2009, 09:09 PM
flashburn

http://kalteisen.com/skeeter_30_arf.html
or
http://www.valuehobby.com/products.php?category_id=4
or if you can build
http://www.swanyshouse.com/primo15/primo15.aspx
All better than what you have now, and all will fly on the equipment from your Stiffy use the 1350 batteries those will give 10 min of 3D with time to loaf around too.
Old 08-09-2009, 12:45 PM
celticflyer

Originally Posted by Sttingcheese View Post
I have an OMP "Extra Stiffy" epp-depron foam plane. I am not allowed to post a link yet but I'm sure you know where to find the plane at ohio model planes.

To me it seems to be very heavy while having too much lift (too little wing loading) at the same time. As a beginner I don't know if that makes much sense. It also feels unstable during my attempts at 3D. It does not have any forgiveness when it falls out of harriers, I think because of its weight. the rudder is not designed all that well and looses center during high speed loops. I think there is simply too much play in it. I am looking for a new ariframe to replace my Stiffy.

I was very excited by the Airfoilz 540 but after reading the manual decided the build is too complicated for me. I have little workspace and I am clumsy with glue. I have also looked at the Superzoom and Flash. They are both a little too pricy.

I would like an airframe that feels lighter than my stiffy but that will allow me to transfer my hardware to it. I have a Hacker A20-20L and x20 pro esc and have both 1350 3s and some 2100 3s packs.

I have been really looking at the epp planes a lot. They all seem to have very light wing-loading as well. The planes I do like are Hyperions Sniper, the Superzoom, and the Flash. None of these planes fit my power set up though. I looked at electrifly's planes and while they are nice They are expensive because of the included motor equipment and would take some modification to make my Hacker fit. And I think my haker set up is too powerful and requires too much battery for the electrifly planes. I have not got to the e-foamies sight because it is currently under construction.

I want a plane I can crash some while learning, but not another tank like my stiffy. I know someone here on wattflyer can point me the right direction. Thanks for your help guys and gals!

Mike
http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...lectric/Detail

Here is a far better motor. You are under powered. I have this plane and if the CG is correct, this is a super flyer. If you are up to it the EX STFY will do anything you can think of.