OK Who Crashed today ? Besides me :) - Page 39 - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Crash and Safety Forum Punch something in lately? Have safety suggestions? Tell the story, share safety tips, and show the pictures here.

OK Who Crashed today ? Besides me :)

Old 08-17-2011, 10:15 AM
mclarkson
Super Contributor

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s3DXqJpwYZs[/media]
Old 08-17-2011, 12:58 PM
pd1
Still Learning

Default I Love ARFs

My friend crashed three times this weekend, one plane didn't look repairable, he hit the equipment shed.
He then gave it to me.

I've repaired the fuse and tail and I'm half way through the wing repairs.
Should be ready for cover in a day or two.

Only problem with ARFs is usually there is so little work to repairing them my regular projects take a back seat while I fix the free planes.

Paul
Old 08-20-2011, 02:58 PM
crshbandit

The guy that cares for the club field where I fly decided to cut some paths into the tall grass on the edge of the field where there is a pond in a hollow. Glad he did that because my F86 Sabre was lieing right on the path cut to go down the hill! I probibly never would have found it in all that tall grass otherwise.
Old 08-20-2011, 03:01 PM
crshbandit

I commend you for not uttering any foul words after that crash! I probibly would not have had so much self control!
Old 08-20-2011, 05:45 PM
Aaeolien

Ouch sorry to see that crash. I'm sure there were foul words emitted after the camera was turned off.
Old 08-20-2011, 10:52 PM
crshbandit

Remember in the movie Jaws when they blew up the shark? Kinda reminds me of that. Went in at about 100 onto concrete. Left a perfect silver circle on the concrete where it impacted! Guess this plane had a death wish, 2 flights and 2 crashes. I think I had the CG wrong. Maybe fixable.
Old 08-20-2011, 11:17 PM
crshbandit

But I am not the only one! This happened at the EAA Oshkosh airshow this summer. Pilot was o.k. Just hurt his pride, like me!
Old 08-21-2011, 12:26 AM
billintn

whoo boy!! I would hate to do the paperwork on that one!
Old 08-21-2011, 07:02 PM
earthsciteach

I went to an airshow yesterday and got a little overexcited. I was trying to do a series of 8 snap rolls, recovering at the proper orientation so that the 8 rolls resulted in a full, horizontal circle. This is the result of recovering at the wrong angle on #5 way too low to the ground. Ouch.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Super Cub Crash.jpg
Views:	256
Size:	102.4 KB
ID:	152115  
Old 08-21-2011, 09:57 PM
mclarkson
Super Contributor

Oopsie!
Old 08-22-2011, 01:11 AM
kyleservicetech
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by earthsciteach View Post
I went to an airshow yesterday and got a little overexcited. I was trying to do a series of 8 snap rolls, recovering at the proper orientation so that the 8 rolls resulted in a full, horizontal circle. This is the result of recovering at the wrong angle on #5 way too low to the ground. Ouch.

Lets see
A little epoxy, a little tape to hold it in place, a little time?

Should be good to go!
Old 08-22-2011, 11:37 AM
bbqflyer

This crash made me a little sick at first. I crashed my fairly newly built Stevensaero G300. It was my 5th flight on this sweet thing. I had just changed prop and battery. Basically it was flying good but not good enough. After changing everything I checked everything on a wattmeter, good to go! Took her up, flew like a dream! Long story a little shorter...I didn't set my timer and after about 5 I realized i should come in and as I was heading down to turn in to land, the motor quit and lost all speed turning and she dropped flat onto asphalt. Frame in 3 pieces and broken motor mount. ugh! my first balsa
Old 08-22-2011, 04:12 PM
NJSwede
3D wannabe

I had the the CF rod connecting the elevator halves on my Airfoilz Extra 300NX come loose in flight, so every elevator movement resulted in an uncontrolled roll. Had I realized what happened a little earlier, I might have been able to compensate with the ailerons and get her down nicely, but it all happened too fast.

Result: Broken motor mount (again!) and bent prop adapter. Luckily, the plane's designer himself was right next to me and helped me patch her up.

Cause: Builder error. Bad glue joint. I didn't sand the CF rod before gluing.
Old 08-22-2011, 04:12 PM
NJSwede
3D wannabe

Originally Posted by bbqflyer View Post
This crash made me a little sick at first. I crashed my fairly newly built Stevensaero G300. It was my 5th flight on this sweet thing. I had just changed prop and battery. Basically it was flying good but not good enough. After changing everything I checked everything on a wattmeter, good to go! Took her up, flew like a dream! Long story a little shorter...I didn't set my timer and after about 5 I realized i should come in and as I was heading down to turn in to land, the motor quit and lost all speed turning and she dropped flat onto asphalt. Frame in 3 pieces and broken motor mount. ugh! my first balsa
!!!

Sorry for your loss!
Old 08-22-2011, 04:13 PM
earthsciteach

The Super Cub is all back together with barely a scar. Off to buy a couple of props and engage in more silliness!
Old 08-23-2011, 12:59 AM
bbqflyer

Great news! The G300 has been rebuilt, no shattered pieces and went back together quite well. Just need to recover it and she'll be flying again! This time I'll remember to set the timer correctly.
Old 08-23-2011, 02:13 AM
mclarkson
Super Contributor

Glad to hear that!
Old 08-23-2011, 04:06 AM
earthsciteach

Sigh. Rebuilt the Cubby, flew it at my school grounds today. Resulted in a good 20 second flight which ended in even more foam pieces than the crash 2 days ago. The rudder control horn came detached and resulted in a lovely corkscrew into the ground. Pretty much the very definition of augering in.
Old 08-23-2011, 06:13 AM
cyclingsarge

Default Maxi Swift Crash

Well last week I took the the Maxi Swift out for a little run. I haven't flown this wing in almost a year. I love the Maxi it is a great flying wing and under 2 pounds so it is also park ready. I put the camera on a little mount I made out of EPP foam and would think the camera would be secure with it tightly attached with good old fashion rubber bands. In the video you will see if it worked or not. You can fast forward if you like especially after the crash, though there are credits during the last 45 seconds of the video. Depth perception is a "you know what" because I was certain I was good to go.

By the way the wing itself came down very softly as it flat spinned like a falling leaf or feather seriously. The plane sustained no damage and neither did the turnigy micro video camera.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQFqS8zPAig&feature=youtube_gdata[/media]

Last edited by cyclingsarge; 09-03-2011 at 04:15 AM.
Old 09-03-2011, 10:28 PM
barnburner13

got my Cub all glues back togather, and ready to fly. Took her to the field and she had a tendancy to nose down. Instead of being smart and landing it, I continued trying to fly it, and once I tried turning it went sideways into the ground. Motor mount and a lot of the foam it was glued too came off. Time for some more gorilla glue. I am pretty sure my Cub is more tape and glue than foam now...haha
Old 09-04-2011, 02:00 AM
50+AirYears
Super Contributor

Don't know if these count as crashes or not. About 4-5 years ago, I bought a little ERC ornithopter at Radio Shack. No matter how much flying practice I have with it, at some time shortly after launch, it just dumps it's head, goes into a series of phugoids, and bumps it's nose. Of course, at something less than an ounce weight, it hasn't even scratched the nose decal. But, I don't think I've managed 5 landings in the time I've had it.
Old 09-04-2011, 05:53 PM
kevinm

Default nice catch !

Originally Posted by crshbandit View Post

But I am not the only one! This happened at the EAA Oshkosh airshow this summer. Pilot was o.k. Just hurt his pride, like me!
nice black topsoil @ Oshkosh too- steady hand with the long lens got that pic id say, the whole show on alert while he prepared for a no-nosewheel landing?
Old 09-04-2011, 08:40 PM
Drifter

I suppose it had to happen at some point. Broke the blades on my heli today, luckilly that's all that broke. Still 20 flights before a crash is pretty good going I'd say
Old 09-05-2011, 06:20 AM
50+AirYears
Super Contributor

Strange boom today. Went to get the glider out of the car, caught par of it on the door, tried to change my handhold to avoid breaking something, so the wind took it out of my had and dropped it onto the ground, breaking the tail boom off. Should be easy to fix. Again.
Old 09-05-2011, 02:06 PM
FlyingBrick50
FlyingBrick50

Thumbs up First Balsa

Originally Posted by bbqflyer View Post
I feel you
I have a Alha 40 balsa bird, shes my first balsa as well! & 7 flights so far, don't want to crack her up, being real careful and keeping the crazy stuff for later,....Pre Flights are must at least for me,........

Quick Reply: OK Who Crashed today ? Besides me :)

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.15132 seconds with 14 queries