E-Flite Fokker New Build - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

WWI Era Discuss all your favorite WWI warbirds here!

E-Flite Fokker New Build

Old 08-01-2011, 04:59 AM
Nieuport Fly Guy

Default E-Flite Fokker New Build

Well here is a pic of my recent build by E-Flite. Put a Heads Up recommended motor in this one...the 2717-17 Outrunner. Seems like lots of power and she just wants to fly. Now have to find a nice park! (Was spoiled last week in Canada on Wife's Niece's property in British Columbia, Canada...beautiful fields to fly in)...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fokker reduced.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	359.9 KB
ID:	151421  
Old 08-01-2011, 04:37 PM
HobbyJumper

Nice shot; nice plane. That one is on my list.

BC is amazing, to be sure. Gazillions of acres of empty space up here and I am forced to live in the most densely populated region. Ugh.
Old 08-01-2011, 07:40 PM
Nieuport Fly Guy

Originally Posted by HobbyJumper View Post
Nice shot; nice plane. That one is on my list.

BC is amazing, to be sure. Gazillions of acres of empty space up here and I am forced to live in the most densely populated region. Ugh.
Me too...I live in a heavily forested area where the school grounds are about the best locations to fly...but California has them all fenced off with no access! Need to choose a place to retire in with wide open spaces for flying! Thanks...Alan
Old 08-02-2011, 05:04 PM
TM4197
Dope&Fabric

Very nice, Looking to maiden mine this weekend. Depending on the winds. Can't beat the Headsup series for these planes. Fly around for a long time at 1/2 power on a 800ma. Have fun!
Old 08-02-2011, 06:29 PM
jensheydel

Looks terrific !!

Jens
Old 08-14-2011, 05:07 PM
Nieuport Fly Guy

Finally maidened my Fokker after a few modifications. I added a second rigging line using Stren sinking line fishing line (the front struts) giving more dihedral. I went with a 8x4 prop with my Heads up 2717 outrunner, and increaded the down thrust to the motor by adding a couple washers behind the firewall mount. Maidened her as the sun dipped below the horizon...and it is quite a sight to see her flying at dusk. Flys well. Glad I got the courage to let her go!
Old 08-14-2011, 05:30 PM
wattman

Congrats on the maiden flight , of my 250 slowflyers the DVII handles some wind better than any of the others .
Old 08-14-2011, 08:39 PM
Nieuport Fly Guy

Here is the maiden video. Attached my 808 keycam to my dx6i controller. Terrible video really...just documentation!

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IBuFw-cUc5E[/media]
Old 08-15-2011, 02:50 AM
barnburner13

I want one of these pretty bad, I think I will pick one up on payday....how well does it handle wind?
Old 08-15-2011, 04:04 AM
Nieuport Fly Guy

I have only flown it in light winds ( under 5 mph)... But it is very stable...and flys better than the Se5a. Also very rugged. I land in tall grass with no damage at all....the Se5a....seems very fragile!
Old 08-15-2011, 06:04 AM
TM4197
Dope&Fabric

Another worn D-VII, flies great...as said above..will handle some light winds..and turns heads when doing a nice slow flyby!!

Name:	DSC_0019.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	127.3 KB
ID:	151916   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0020.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	130.0 KB
ID:	151917  
Old 08-29-2011, 07:59 AM
Nieuport Fly Guy

Here is a "maiden video" of my first real flight of my e-flite Fokker DVII...taken with a mini "gum" cam from three different perspectives! I'm trying to get a little more creative here...

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=K-dXE8ZgUw4
Old 08-29-2011, 02:31 PM
HobbyJumper

The link above didn't work for me, but this does...

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-dXE8ZgUw4[/media]

Really like the multiple camera angles. Thanks for posting.
Old 08-29-2011, 06:39 PM
wattman

Thanks for shareing the video , I really like my Fokker also , and was flying it early this AM , along with the Nieuport , and a PKZ SE5a , talk about different flying planes
Old 08-29-2011, 08:02 PM
TM4197
Dope&Fabric

Nice flying!! I like the view showing the flying wires, you can actually see the tension and release depending on the maneuver. Glad she is flying good for you. Wattman is right....each one of the 250 series has there own nature in flight. I think thats a good thing..how boring it would be if it wasnt!

Great job!
Old 08-29-2011, 09:54 PM
degreen60
Flying Fish

Originally Posted by TM4197 View Post
Nice flying!! I like the view showing the flying wires, you can actually see the tension and release depending on the maneuver.
Great job!
Brace wires on a Fokker DVII, come on now. Brace the wings with CF rods or do as I want to try. Split CF arrow shaft on the leading edge of the wings. Maybe lozinge printed paper glued on both sides of the wings will make the wings strong enough the brace wires will not be needed.
Old 08-29-2011, 10:29 PM
TM4197
Dope&Fabric

OK,,,see.....DeGreen cant get his pilots out to everyone (which are hexed by the way)...so he trys to persuade you to do things that will more than likely make your bird dive in at 100 feet...then you ship the pieces to him and he has another warbird. I'am sticking with flying wires on this girl!
Old 08-30-2011, 11:09 AM
Nieuport Fly Guy

Originally Posted by wattman View Post
Thanks for shareing the video , I really like my Fokker also , and was flying it early this AM , along with the Nieuport , and a PKZ SE5a , talk about different flying planes
Watt...you seem to have about the same collection of WWI birds. I have the SE5a, Fokker, Nieuport, Jenny, Pup. Have to re rig the Jenny...was first one in collection. Right now having great time flying the Fokker. Pup...on the other hand flies 20 ft then nose dives...have to investigate that one. This morning...the Fokker got away from me...winds picked up after launch and carried her halfway across Baldwin lake (dry this time of year thank goodness)...so I got an unanticipated workout this morning! He he
Old 08-30-2011, 04:07 PM
wattman

Yes , about the same planes , only DeGreen60 has more of a collection , he scratchbuilds some of his . And I also recently was flying in a breeze that I should not have , and violtated the rule of NOT getting too high and too far downwind , and the wind picked up
It was a fight of diving and full throttle and struggle to return , but it finally did , thanks to the 8oomah battery for giving me the time and power .
What fun we have with these little biplane beauties .
Old 08-30-2011, 06:56 PM
TM4197
Dope&Fabric

Speaking of DeGreen....I took this picture with my Radian and Flycamone covertcam....this is Dons back yard.....and this dosnt even show his WW1 collection. The guy is gonna need help one day!

Name:	donsyard.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	77.2 KB
ID:	152419  
Old 08-30-2011, 07:32 PM
degreen60
Flying Fish

Originally Posted by tm4197 View Post
speaking of degreen....i took this picture with my radian and flycamone covertcam....this is dons back yard.....and this dosnt even show his ww1 collection. The guy is gonna need help one day!

my dream
Old 09-08-2011, 08:31 PM
TM4197
Dope&Fabric

Just to let everyone know of an issue. It might be that mine will be the only one that this has happened too, but just in case....

I had been flying my D-VII with no issues for about two weeks. Then one flight I removed the plane from a cool dry basement and placed the plane on the ground in the sun. It was waiting for its turn to fly. It probbaly sat in the sun for an hour. When I took off, the plane had become very unstable, I was just able to land the plane in some tall grass. No damage.
I thought maybe a control rod had warped, or control horn maybe became loose. No issue with either. I then looked at alignment and OMG....the right top wing was foward of the low right wing by 3/4 to 1 inch. I checked the cabanes and struts, all were still intact and glued. The rigging was showing slight signs of pulling tight on the left side. I cut the rigging and the wing stayed in place, still almost one inch off. After talking to DeGreen, it was decided to completely remove the wings and all struts. I took a modeling blade and cut each piece loose. The cabanes to the fuse (mounted on both right and left sides close to the cockpit appeared to have bent (twisted). I took a bic lighter and heated each one and attempted to retain the original shape as much as possible. I rebuilt the plane with out rigging and the wings are now back to even alignment. I have placed the plane back down in the basement and will try to emulate what took place last time when I placed it in the sun. I am waiting for a nice sunny day..and will report the findings. Anyone had simular issues? even wwith other planes? All kinds of possibilities, would like to hear what you think!
Old 09-08-2011, 09:02 PM
wattman

Now I am glad that I do not have a cool dry basement

Old 09-13-2011, 07:22 PM
Nieuport Fly Guy

Here is a link to a new video of the e-flite Fokker DVII, taken with a Nikon d3100 from the ground by by loving and ever so tolerant wife Donna...

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxMN-82Iekg[/media]
Old 09-13-2011, 09:40 PM
HobbyJumper

Default Like Frampton Comes Alive in the back window of your Pacer

I haven't experienced what you descirbe, personally, but I have read disaster stories about these planes being left in the sun.

I had my Jenny in the car this summer when the kids wanted to hit the mall. I insisted we drive an extra mile to the LHS so they could babysit my Jenny while we shopped. No way was I leaving it in the car on a 90 degree day with no shade. The kids, of course, thought I was completely nuts.

Originally Posted by TM4197 View Post
Just to let everyone know of an issue. It might be that mine will be the only one that this has happened too, but just in case....

I had been flying my D-VII with no issues for about two weeks. Then one flight I removed the plane from a cool dry basement and placed the plane on the ground in the sun. It was waiting for its turn to fly. It probbaly sat in the sun for an hour. When I took off, the plane had become very unstable, I was just able to land the plane in some tall grass. No damage.
I thought maybe a control rod had warped, or control horn maybe became loose. No issue with either. I then looked at alignment and OMG....the right top wing was foward of the low right wing by 3/4 to 1 inch. I checked the cabanes and struts, all were still intact and glued. The rigging was showing slight signs of pulling tight on the left side. I cut the rigging and the wing stayed in place, still almost one inch off. After talking to DeGreen, it was decided to completely remove the wings and all struts. I took a modeling blade and cut each piece loose. The cabanes to the fuse (mounted on both right and left sides close to the cockpit appeared to have bent (twisted). I took a bic lighter and heated each one and attempted to retain the original shape as much as possible. I rebuilt the plane with out rigging and the wings are now back to even alignment. I have placed the plane back down in the basement and will try to emulate what took place last time when I placed it in the sun. I am waiting for a nice sunny day..and will report the findings. Anyone had simular issues? even wwith other planes? All kinds of possibilities, would like to hear what you think!

Quick Reply: E-Flite Fokker New Build

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.10857 seconds with 19 queries