2 words: Parkzone VAPOR! - Page 12 - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Indoor & Micro Electric Planes Talk about indoor & Micro electric powered flight here

2 words: Parkzone VAPOR!

Old 04-06-2010, 08:25 PM
Rockin Robbins
Super Contributor

I've been flying my new Radian for a couple of weeks now. Last night, just on a whim I bound my Vapor to the DX5e radio and wow! What a difference! Now the plane is much more controllable while keeping the same flying characteristics that make the Vapor special. I'm not sure what the reason is (I suspect greater controller resolution in the DX5e) but this is amazing. That alone makes the Radian purchase price worthwhile!
Old 05-20-2010, 03:53 AM
gramps2361
Community Moderator

Well I bit the bullet and I'm joining the vapor fan club.
I was at the LHS and ordered the new vapor with lights. This is supposed to be available, and ready for pickup 5/25 according to the owner . Mine will be the first one he sells with the light setup this should be fun to scoot around outside on a summer night when the wind is settled down. Let you folks know how it is when I get it.
Old 05-20-2010, 04:05 AM
philipa_240sx
Super Contributor

I used to love flying my Vapor on calm summer evenings. Haven't had it out for months due to the wind...
Old 06-09-2010, 07:17 AM
rc_03

The vapor is the perfect beginner plane in my opinion. Nearly indestructible, can fly it indoors, and cheap to repair.
Old 06-09-2010, 04:54 PM
Rockin Robbins
Super Contributor

I would replace "nearly indestructable" with easily repaired, as the plane inspires so much confidence that I ended up flying it in ways it never should. This caused lots of damage. I ratcheted back on the stupid stunts and have had a great time ever since.

I do still love to do inverted flat spins. Take the thing up to decent altitude, 100' or so, chop the throttle and jam the stick into the upper left-hand corner. Because the Vapor loves to tuck under in a dive, it falls into the prettiest inverted flat spin you ever saw. Give yourself at least 15' to recover, let go of the stick and gently pull out of the dive, mixing in throttle as you regain level flight.

As far as standard aerobatics go, the Vapor's very flexible airframe make for some unanticipated and sometimes very destructive bad habits. Those bad habits contribute to making the Vapor a GREAT learner's aircraft, as you have to learn to analyze and properly react to some pretty crazy stuff.
Old 07-04-2010, 03:07 AM
Tommyr

LOVE my Vapor but the plane's wing/tail/rudder skin comes off the frames fairly easily. I use clear packing tape to make repairs. Other than that it's a GREAT bird.
Old 07-04-2010, 11:20 PM
Rockin Robbins
Super Contributor

I'm leery of adding too much weight with tape. I always reattach the PET film with thin CA adhesive. Works great and doesn't release again under normal use.
Old 07-25-2010, 09:54 AM
Rockin Robbins
Super Contributor

Wow! Everyone bored with their Vapors? Not me. I just received three new Turnigy 160mAh 1S 30C batteries and are they ever great for outdoor flight! I also turned my charger down from the default "fry batteries" position to something more like a 1C charge rate (that's below 1C for the 160s). Your potentiometer has a red line on it. If you call its present position 12 o'clock, turn it counterclockwise to the 9 o'clock position and you'll be very close to where it ought to be. It will save your batteries! It will also take an hour to charge them now. These Turnigy batteries are supposed to be good for a 2C charge but I'm not believing it. I'm also not running down to LVC any more.

I like to walk my Vapor around the block. One battery is worth about three trips, then I shut it down with plenty of reserve power left. It's just like walking a dog, but more obedient!

One trip around my block is 2,070 ft, so 6,210 feet for three trips, and the plane is zigzagging back and forth, up and down the street all the while, so I would guess the plane flies at least four feet for every foot of walking distance. That's a a conservative 4.7 miles of flying per battery with power to spare!
Old 07-25-2010, 04:14 PM
Real Gambler

Interesting maths for sure!

Yes, I love my Vapors too. (The "s" at the end of Vapor stand for all 5 of them...)
Old 07-28-2010, 12:13 PM
mclarkson
Super Contributor

That sounds great, RR. I really want a Night Vapor. Of course, I really want about 6 planes at the moment.
Old 07-28-2010, 02:38 PM
Rockin Robbins
Super Contributor

Mark, with your winds you'd be stuck flying it indoors only. Any detectable wind at all makes this plane a challenge to fly and depending on how bumpy it is, maybe not much fun. If indoors is doable for you, I'd say go for it.

Luckily, in Florida I have lots of evenings and mornings with no wind at all and I can get my Vapor outside of the walls to let her fly free! No undignified untangling my plane from basketball nets for me. No sir. I prefer retrieving from the top of rotten 75' pine trees...

Last edited by Rockin Robbins; 07-28-2010 at 03:01 PM.
Old 07-28-2010, 09:35 PM
mclarkson
Super Contributor

Oh, no! That's a tragedy! Can you get her back together, do you think?

The thing is, I keep a very late schedule and am up all night. At 1am-2am it is often dead calm, even though it's windy all day. That always makes me think, "Man, I wish I had a slow-flying night plane right about now..."
Old 08-21-2010, 09:31 AM
barnburner13

Just got my Vapor today, unfortunately upon opening the box, the rudder was broken off....so now I am waiting for replacement parts...can't wait to fly it
Old 09-02-2010, 08:20 AM
Pete894

Build Review Night Vapor

Just got a BNF Night Vapor and DX6i; have flown it for 3 days as a rank newbie in the backyard and it's fun! My theory was to get a plane that would fly real slow so I could learn to fly and then move up to larger and faster planes as I felt more comfortable. I fly in the early evening with no wind and the little LEDs on the plane are very cool. They also allow me to keep my orientation as the light dims. NO night flying for awhile! I set up my DX6i for 50% low rates for the elevator and 75% for the rudder and it flies perfectly. Could not fly it on high rates!

The very first night I took it up for its maiden flight, I broke the elevator hinge, which was made either of very thin carbon or wire, about 0.5mm thick or a bit smaller. I used a straight pin as my replacement part, cut to length, and CA glue to set only one end, with the point stuck in the other hinge bracket. The only problem I had in the fix was that the broken end of the elevator pin was set in CA so I had to dig it out of its little bracket and re-form it gently with small needlenose pliers. A drop of CA then secured the new pin. The other end of the original pin seemed to be stuck into the other bracket, so that's where the pointed end of the pin was inserted using the pliers as I'd had to cut off the pin head. Lots of crashes and rough landings as I learn, but this little guy can take it as it has no mass or inertia. And yes, it's been "tree'd' twice already, and all the bushes know its name by now!
Old 09-03-2010, 11:02 AM
Rockin Robbins
Super Contributor

I agree with you that the Vapor is the perfect learn to fly airplane. I've remarked a couple of times how ugly the Night Vapor is. But when I saw one up close at the hobby store it wasn't ugly at all. Those are just ugly photos!

And like you say, the Vapor is pretty crashworthy, but teaches you repair AND flying. You get two courses in one. I guess that's pretty much true with every plane...
Old 09-06-2010, 08:05 AM
Pete894

Thanks for your encouragement...I'm getting better each day!!
Old 09-06-2010, 10:05 PM
Rockin Robbins
Super Contributor

And that's exactly why the Vapor (and perhaps the Ember too) is the perfect learn to fly plane. You can put more stick time per week into it than any other plane because you can fly it just about anywhere there isn't any wind. You just invest in two or three extra batteries, do surgery to turn your charger down from its default "incinerate" position to a decent 1C charge rate, go out and fly the wings off it!

The only downside I can see is that the plane inspires confidence over and above your ability to perform and that can result in crashes and damage until you ratchet back the craziness. I know I did....
Old 09-08-2010, 07:30 AM
barnburner13

My vapor is my, "man I am stressed out and need to relax" plane. I have so much fun flying it. I love flying it slow and low up and down the street late in the evening...just incase anyone was wondering...haha
Old 09-08-2010, 04:02 PM
Rockin Robbins
Super Contributor

Yes, I love flying mine outdoors much more than I like flying indoors. Grass and dirt are much more forgiving than running into hard stuff indoors and the freedom of unlimited height and distance, coupled with the challenges of magnetic trees makes for a challenging environment.

I'm using mine to train myself that my depth perception lies and that I must learn to assume it's lying when I fly! The trees are helping me with that task...

That will keep me out of trouble when flying my Radian!
Old 09-28-2010, 03:39 AM
mclarkson
Super Contributor

Well, I broke down tonite and got a Night Vapor with the ill-gotten winnings from my monthly poker game. Took me a while to get the switches set properly on my DX5 but, after that, up and away she went over the driveway. No problems at all.

It's Kansas, so the wind never dies except at night. I have a Blade MCX2 for indoors when it's windy. The Night Vapor is my "outside after the wind finally dies" plane.
Old 09-28-2010, 11:10 AM
mclarkson
Super Contributor

My front driveway, 10 minutes ago (4 AM):
Old 09-28-2010, 11:38 AM
motoguy

Originally Posted by mclarkson View Post
My front driveway, 10 minutes ago (4 AM):
Ok, now THAT is cool! I'm kinda curious...how does that thing fly compared to, say, the Champ?
Old 09-28-2010, 01:30 PM
philipa_240sx
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by motoguy View Post
Ok, now THAT is cool! I'm kinda curious...how does that thing fly compared to, say, the Champ?
I've never flown the Champ, but compared to my UM J-3 Cub the Vapor is a lot slower. You can practically slow the plane to a crawl. Literally, I've taken mine for a walk around the block!
Old 09-28-2010, 05:00 PM
Rockin Robbins
Super Contributor

That's my favorite thing to do with my Vapor, take it for a walk around the block. Compared to my dog it's a lot more obedient, there is no risk of it taking a dump in someone's front yard and it never barks at strangers, squirrels or birds. My block is just about 2000 feet in circumference and I get three trips around with plenty of just flying around per battery.

Love those pics of the Night Vapor! I saw one in the wild for the first time Sunday afternoon and don't believe Horizon Hobby's pictures. The plane is not butt ugly! Only the photos are. In the wild the plane makes perfect sense day or night, has some significant improvements over the original Vapor and remains a great value.

I rate it the #1 learn to fly plane because it is always so close in, can be flown in your front yard and you can put double the hours on it that you would put on a larger plane just because you don't have to go somewhere to fly it. It is also so unique in appearance and flying characteristics that you'll enjoy flying it long after you've outgrown any need for "training."
Old 09-28-2010, 10:10 PM
mclarkson
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by motoguy View Post
Yeah, I've never flown the champ. :shrug: The Vapor is slow and floaty. I'm having a hard time getting it to slow down as far as I'd like - probably trim issues. It's hard to see exactly what's going on when it's pitch black outside.

However, it's super-easy to fly and a buncha fun, I'll tell you that.

Quick Reply: 2 words: Parkzone VAPOR!

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.10000 seconds with 13 queries