Scratch and Kit Built Aircraft Discuss and share your scratch built or kit built aircraft as well as building techniques, methods, mediums and resources.

In search of very slow flying...BOF 60

Old 07-26-2020, 08:11 PM
jb48

Default In search of very slow flying...BOF 60

Hello foamies flyers friends. Since about a year, I am in search of the Graal (for me) of rc planes: very slow flying. Since I am as much a builder than a flyer, I spent most of the last year designing, building and test flying a very slow flying machine for outdoor (park flier). The slow flying ability was to rely entirely on lift from airflow over the wing and not on prop hanging. I designed and made 3 prototypes: a small one with a 30 inch wingspan, a kind of narrow chord 60 inch motorized glider and a big motorized Delta. Not one of them was a satisfactory flying machine, mostly because some were too hard to control and every of them were not able to fly as slow as I wanted. After taking out all the reusable parts, the 3 failures made their last flight in the garbage bin.
Then I took a break, using my hobby time to watch many UTube videos of slow planes and reading as much as I can plane designing material. One of the UTube video was about a Flite Test designed slow plane: the Old Fogey, which looks very much like the vintage Clancy's Lazy Bee, except that construction material is foamboard insted of balsa. For many reasons, I opted for my 4th prototype to make an Old Fogey style twice as big as the Flite Test version, my very first try at low aspect ratio wing. I hand drawed some crude plans and made it. A few days ago, a few taxiing runs on my home street and on my lawn showed somme design problems that I corrected. Yesterday, Idrove to my rc club for a maiden flight. Wind was around 3 knots. It took off very easily at about 6 or 7 knots groundspeed, or about 10 knots airspeed. Wind was straight on the plane nose. At about 5 foot altitude, a gust of wind striked simultaneous as I gave throttle: it pitched up violently to about 15 foot height before I cut throttle to idle. Plane the pitched down (maybe a stall but I am not sure), I let it take a little speed, gave a little throttle and resumed flight at about 7 to 8 foot high. The plane that I named BOF 60 for Big Old Foguey 60 inches span) was docile and flying like on a slow speed movie. I then climbed to about 100 feet and circled the club's grass runway for 5 minutes. At about 4 minutes into this maiden flight, the wind piped up a bit at about 10 knots, making the BOF 60 touchy to control. I was mentally prepared for a crash landing. I made a long downwind leg to have time to cool down and enogh lenght to align properly for landing. AT about 25 feet high, I cut throttle for a glide to the runway...it glided very well in a stable attitude but going slowly further and further from runway: its flying ground speed was slightly less than the airspeed! The plane was now at about 15 feet high and about 50 feet from runway threshold. I gave throttle and it pitched up too much for my taste. I then gave it down elevator and it flew straight to the runway, still at about 15 feet altitude. Now was the moment of truth. I slowly cut throttle and flaired in a medium nose high attitude. The plane lost height very very slowly straight down, helicopter style, touched down feather light WITHOUT ROLLING! My very best landing in 6 cumulated years. I simply could not believe it. I was lucky that the headwind was perfectly smooth and straight at the same airspeed of the plane seconds before touchdown!
A few minutes after the maiden, looking for a fresh battery and a camera, gust of wind turned the plane over (no damage)! Wind continued to speed up the rest of the day, so I flew another model.which I know much more than my BOF 60. Today it's rainy and weather forecast is not good for many days. I am so happy that I took a few pic of my creation at home to share with you. Flying video is to come later...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0007.JPG
Views:	19
Size:	1.84 MB
ID:	188144   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0008.JPG
Views:	21
Size:	1.85 MB
ID:	188145   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0011.JPG
Views:	20
Size:	1.93 MB
ID:	188146  
Old 07-27-2020, 02:34 AM
Don Sims
Administrator

Hey JB, welcome back to the site. Nice looking plane!
Old 07-31-2020, 05:02 PM
jb48

Here is my very first video (second flight) of my BOF 60 in a soccer field:
Old 08-02-2020, 12:48 PM
jb48

Default No landing gear flight, 9 oz weight saving

BOF 60 flying a little slower.