General Electric Discussions Talk about topics related to e-powered RC flying

I need to pick a few good brains "Help Needed"

Old 03-13-2022, 12:44 AM
Sinbad

Question I need to pick a few good brains "Help Needed"

I hate to have my first post here one where I'm asking for help - but here I am, hopefully in the right place.
I'm 82 and a old disabled vet "trying" to learn this
elec. RC thing while trying to convert a non-powered foamy glider with 46" wing and 32" body into a 5 channel electric foamy ( Thrt., Ale., Rud., Flaps & Elev. -- with a AS3X & SAFE receiver which I need to buy, however I don't understand what the parameters are to successfully link my motor to the ESC to the receiver.
I have a unused AR8010T receiver that doesn't respond so I'm assuming it's DOA.
I have a limited budget so I’m trying to use what I have, which is a Flite Test 1806 - 2280 Kv motor, 2 or 3 cell lipo, 20-amp ESC, DX8-G2 Trans, and 5/6 or 8 chanl. receiver with AS3X & SAFE. I hoping to find someone that can please tell me if what I'm trying to do with this list of equip will work and if not why and what I need to change to make it fly. I've been trying to communicate with Spektrum about a receiver but they keep writing back telling me I need to be more specific so apparently they don't receive my whole message. Write back if you have any ideas and a little time. Thanks -
Sinbad
Old 03-13-2022, 10:27 AM
solentlife
Super Contributor

Hi .. we all have to start somewhere and asking for help is better than wasting effort and gear ..

First - you need to carefully consider what you need to control on the model ... as you add each control function - you also add weight. Second you need to coordinate the gear you have with the range of model it is suitable for.

So lets look at it :

The non-powered glider ? Can you give us a Brand and Model name ? Is it one of those RTF models that are sold but barely fly ?

The motor you quote is for low weight small models and may not be man enough for your model.

5 channel is really IMHO an overkill on a glider of this size ... 4ch is more than enough - leaving out flaps.

I would suggest register with eCalc .. it costs so little - it pays for itself in first setup. You enter model parameters .. motor / ESC / Battery / Prop and it spits out results ... saves so much heartache ..

Ok - your question about Motor - ESC - Rx .. maybe this can help .. The connection setup - we assume your ESC has BEC in it - that is it can provide power to the RX ...

Once we have more info from you - we can go further.

I would hazard a guess that the RX you say is DOA ... may not be working because it needs to be 'BOUND' to the TX ... see Bind procedure in radio manual ...

Old 03-13-2022, 02:48 PM
quorneng
Super Contributor

Sinbad
I would concur with Solentlife that flaps on a 46" powered glider will have little or no benefit and only adds extra weight and complexity.
With the name and model of the glider we can use the internet to find out the exact details which would make any recommendation far more realistic and practical.
Do you actually have the plane?
Would I be correct that you have not flown an RC plane before?
If this is the case there is much to be said to separate the 'learning to fly' from the 'building' a plane.
Controlling plane requires a degree of eye hand coordination that is not inbuild into a human so it has to be learned. Better to start with a plane that does fly and preferably with some 'one on one' tuition.
Building or even just adding to a plane requires some skill and knowledge of how plane aerodynamics work. There is plenty of experience on a site like this to advise you on the what to use and how to use it.
There is quite a bit to learn about but at lest you are asking and remember the only 'dumb' question is the one you don't ask so keep asking!
Old 03-13-2022, 10:57 PM
Sinbad

Thumbs up Sinbad's learning process

First let me thank you both for your replies which included lots of good information for me. Let me answer your questions first.
1. Glider is made by FEI XIONG model; RTF - FX707S Albatross glider that with a hand launch may fly 100 meters. It's made of EPO foam. I'll try to attach a photo but PC isn't acting correctly right now.
2. Currently learning to fly with a E-Flite Turbo Timber with the AS3X-SAFE programing and have 1 year+ under my belt. Have progressed to doing some flying in the intermediate level of skill until I switch back to beginner when I get in trouble. Very well built and easy to fly so far. I've bound 2 other aircraft with this transm. no problem but this receiver just doesn't respond at all.
3. In my head I know that flaps aren't necessary but my curiosity said Hey - let's find out what they'll do - not thinking about the weight issue. I still have access to the servos so I can remove them no problem.
4. At age 70++ I passed the FAA drone certification test with "flying Marks" and just prior to that took and passed the USCG Captains License, so I'm not opposed to learning or pushing the envelope. "Unfortunately" it's difficult for me to not want to change or add to / improve product functionality.
5. I do know the physical between the motor - ESC - receiver but don't know for example if a 1, 2 or 3 cell Lipo is required to fire up a 4,5 6 or 8 function receiver when connected and receiving 8v+_ from battery & ESC.
6. I'm not familiar with eCal but I'll give them a shout.

I think that brings us up to date for now. I'll proceed to fix-in-place my flaps, see if I can weigh my plane & equipment and investigate eCal.
Solentlife & Quorneng you have brought me back to reality and I appreciate your input. Look forward to our next messages Sinbad
Old 03-13-2022, 11:15 PM
Sinbad

Glider Weight Sinbad's Glider Weight Tell me what you think Please
• Body, Tail & Elevator, 2 servos & servo rods to tail = 4.25 oz. / 124 grams
• Wing with 4 servos, flaps, wires, allerions = 5.25 oz / 150. Grams
• Electronics (motor, ESC, 6 channel receiver, 2 cell Lipo = 3.80 oz. / 108 grams
• Total weight – unpainted as above = 13.3 oz. /382 grams +_
• (Less 2 flap servos & wires) = 1.0 oz. / 26.5 grams == lower weight 11.3.oz /350 grams

Best parts balancing act - Center of Gravity now is 1.5" behind leading edge. Not exact.
Old 03-14-2022, 10:18 AM
solentlife
Super Contributor

If the ESC has BEC - then you can stop worrying about the power to RX ... it will be outputting 5V - which is fine.

Not all Rx's can accept full LiPo voltage and in all honesty - better to just use the BEC in the ESC ..
Old 03-14-2022, 04:54 PM
Sinbad

Got-chya and my ESC does have BEC so that's a good thing.
Just received 2 responses plus yours so I'm busy replying to their inputs as well.
1 is from Spektrum support support and the other is from WATT forum. You 3 are the best and I feel I'm learning a lot and making progress. I'm honored that everyone responds so well. Us "old" nu-bees need all the help we can get. I thank you. Sinbad
Old 03-14-2022, 06:49 PM
quorneng
Super Contributor

Sinbad
A bit of Google research shows that the FX707 as a glider has an all up weight ranging from 170g to 220g. You are proposing an all up of 382 g. That is quite an increase, 1.73 to be exact.
This means it will fly faster, by the square root which is 1.3. The faster speed in itself is not a such a problem but the energy it has in any sort of a crash could be. Using Kinetic energy = 1/2 mV2 means it will crash nearly 1.5 times harder..
Thus what might be a gentle crash as a glider will be more serious when flying as a heavier powered glider.
The research also shows many people have done RC conversions both as a glider and as a motor glider but few seem to give many details of the battery, motor or the final weight although In several cases attention is drawn to the fact that the original wings can flex rather easily and additional carbon rods are added to stiffen the wings..
shows the sort of problems you can have with a powered conversion of a FX707S.
My suggestion is to keep the weight as light as possible particularly with your fairly small motor.
What servos are you using? I bet even 4 of them weigh more than the motor!

. .
Old 04-05-2022, 11:09 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Join a RC Club in your area, For hands on Training from other Flyers

https://www.rc-airplane-world.com/no...ane-clubs.html