Power Systems Talk about motors, ESC speed controllers, gear drives, propellers, power system simulators and all power system related topics

ESC Advice

Old 08-31-2021, 06:55 PM
CheeseyPatty

Default ESC Advice

Hello,

I have a 120100 Outrunner brushless motor 50KV 25000W motor. It was suggested that I use the following ESC:

https://epowerhobby.com/product/fulc...8s-lipo-cells/

This suggested ESC is a bit more than I want to spend right now and was looking for other ESCs that could do the job. I found the following and from my understanding (which is still very much NOOB level) it should work for what I need.

https://www.freerchobby.cc/collectio...tor-paraglider

My question is, less expensive one work for my motor, or are there other suggestions that are around the same price range??

Also, could the less expensive one run 2 of the same motors in parallel?

Lastly, does the ESC help regulate Voltage and Current to the motor in the advent that more Voltage and Current is sent than the motor will use??

As I mentioned above, I am a NOOB and this is my first build, so any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you all in advance!!!
Old 09-01-2021, 02:58 AM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

I think you are looking for answers in the wrong place here. Doubtful any of us have experience with anything like that.
Old 09-01-2021, 03:16 AM
CheeseyPatty

Any suggestions on where I can go to look for this information?? Another forum??
Old 09-01-2021, 03:26 AM
ron_van_sommeren
homo ludens modelisticus

What is your project, what do you want to power, what do you want to achieve?
Is it RC, man-carrying, traction, boat, ...?
Where do you live?

Each brushless motor needs its own brushless controller.
Old 09-01-2021, 03:40 AM
CheeseyPatty

Well, I'm working on building a MAV. I want to use (2) 120100 50kV brushless motor with a 40" prop. I have figured out all the other logistics to my build, Just need to settle on an ESC that wont break the bank. I need to run a 10s-28s ESC in order to achieve the 50lbs. of thrust per motor. I live in the US/Idaho. I posted links above for the ESC I am interested in buying, do you think it will be capable of handling my motor??
Old 09-01-2021, 08:38 AM
solentlife
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by CheeseyPatty View Post
Hello,

I have a 120100 Outrunner brushless motor 50KV 25000W motor. It was suggested that I use the following ESC:

https://epowerhobby.com/product/fulc...8s-lipo-cells/

This suggested ESC is a bit more than I want to spend right now and was looking for other ESCs that could do the job. I found the following and from my understanding (which is still very much NOOB level) it should work for what I need.

https://www.freerchobby.cc/collectio...tor-paraglider

My question is, less expensive one work for my motor, or are there other suggestions that are around the same price range??
That\s some power !! Sorry cannot help on what to use ..

Also, could the less expensive one run 2 of the same motors in parallel?
No it cannot. Brushless motors are essential 3 phase motors and governed by pulsed power. BL ESC can only control one motor as it needs feedback from the rotation of the motor.

Lastly, does the ESC help regulate Voltage and Current to the motor in the advent that more Voltage and Current is sent than the motor will use??
The ESC does regulate the power suplied to the motor - but if you provide too high a voltage pack - then the motor will not be protected if you increase throttle ... so you must keep the stated voltage of the power supply within the range the motor is designed for.

As I mentioned above, I am a NOOB and this is my first build, so any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you all in advance!!!
As another says - the motor / power combo you are asking us about - is way out of our usual range !!
Old 09-01-2021, 09:26 AM
CheeseyPatty

Originally Posted by solentlife View Post
That\s some power !! Sorry cannot help on what to use ..

No it cannot. Brushless motors are essential 3 phase motors and governed by pulsed power. BL ESC can only control one motor as it needs feedback from the rotation of the motor.

The ESC does regulate the power suplied to the motor - but if you provide too high a voltage pack - then the motor will not be protected if you increase throttle ... so you must keep the stated voltage of the power supply within the range the motor is designed for.

As another says - the motor / power combo you are asking us about - is way out of our usual range !!

Thank you for the information you have provided. You have answered some of my questions. I will see if I can find a paramotor forum that might be able to answer these questions. I need to be 100% sure I am getting the right equipment, not just from a cost factor, but a safety factor.
Old 09-03-2021, 06:06 AM
ron_van_sommeren
homo ludens modelisticus

Well, I'm working on building a MAV. I want to use (2) 120100 Kv=50rpm/volt 25kW brushless motor with a 40" prop. ...
I don't want to be the proverbial wet blanket but I feel obliged to warn you.
25kiloWatt is a lot of power for an electrics and eflight noob, especially with a prop attached to it.
Even though I am an electrical engineer I certainly would not start that way from scratch.

An e-motor has full torque available at no/low rpm, it won't stop hacking away at anything in its path.
If hobby is your intention I would definitely learn the ropes and get routines with a less powerful/dangerous/untested setup.
Do you have equipment to measure voltage, rpm, current and power?
Remove props when setting up.

As Nigel already indicated, I don't feel comfortable giving specific advice, only general advice.

... Just need to settle on an ESC that wont break the bank. ...
www.powerdrives.net ?
Kontronik Kosmos series?

More controller advice e.g. in this e-traction forum:
www.rcgroups.com/power-systems-13
www.endless-sphere.com , e-traction

xCopterCalc for multirotor
www.ecalc.ch

Last edited by ron_van_sommeren; 09-03-2021 at 07:47 AM.
Old 09-03-2021, 06:12 AM
ron_van_sommeren
homo ludens modelisticus

... Lastly, does the ESC help regulate Voltage and Current to the motor in the advent that more Voltage and Current is sent than the motor will use?? ...
At wide open throttle the ESC has no say in current and power drawn, it will pass those on as the system demands, even if it would lead to its fiery death.

The system
An e-motor will try to keep the same rpm, no matter the load. Therefore, as load goes up, current has to go up. Because torque and current are proportional.
As a result, even a seemingly small change/error in setup can result in quite an unexpected increase.
Therefore always measure current and power in a new or changed setup.
Because current and power drawn are proportional to
  • pitch
  • #blades
  • voltage≤ respectively voltage≥
  • kv
  • diameter⁴
So even a small change/error in setup can have huge effects.
Increase in current with one or two cells added, simple table - RCG

Expensive examples.
Going from 2s to 3s, a 50% increase, would (3/2)≤=2.2 fold current, more than double, 120% extra.
A 25% increase in velocity konstant kv would (1.25)≥=2 fold current, 100% extra.
A mere 10% increase in diameter would (11/10)⁴=1.1⁴=1.4 fold current, 40% extra.

Extreme examples.
Doubling voltage would 2≤=4 fold current.
Doubling velocity konstant kv would 2≥=8 fold current.
Doubling diameter would 2⁴=16 fold current.

Last edited by ron_van_sommeren; 09-03-2021 at 07:49 AM.