General Electric Discussions Talk about topics related to e-powered RC flying

Airbrush Suggestions Please.

Old 08-19-2021, 07:56 PM
The Professor
Professional Nerd

Default Airbrush Suggestions Please.

Not sure if this is the right place to ask this question, but I could do with a bit of advice.....

I need an airbrush that does not cost an arm and/or a leg. I may be prepared to give one or two toes 😜

So having never used an airbrush before, I started cheap. Unfortunately it was too cheap. I spent 20 on an airbrush and a can of gas. That did not work at all.

Then I spent about 45 on a more professional gravity fed airbrush with a little compressor. That was OK, but a little hit and miss. When I used a larger 5 CFM compressor it was ok, but the fan pattern was not consistent. It seems to block very easily and I find that the airflow does not seem to match the trigger position.

So, if you were going to buy a 2 stage airbrush, without spending more than 50..... Which one would you buy?

If possible I would want one with variable fan patterns as well as?

Is this even possible for the price I want to pay.

Any help would be much appreciated

Old 08-19-2021, 09:02 PM
solentlife
Super Contributor

I have 4 different and I cannot get the hang of it ... one in fact being an expensive dual action.

But best I ever did was with an old Humbrol single action ... a converted fridge compressor ... back in the 1980's on a Pilot Nieuport 28 ... but ever since - even with 'better' gear and a proper A/B compressor ... never achieved such again.

I think its down to paint viscosity .. I just cannot get it right ...
Old 08-24-2021, 10:44 PM
The Professor
Professional Nerd

Default Made a decision...

So the Chinese airbrush is bin-bound.

I looked at several 'top brand' air brushes, but realised they all seem designed for precision artwork. People seem quite happy that they get lines of less than 0.0X of a millimetre.

Yes I want to be able to create nice narrow lines, but I also want to put a base colour down on fuselage and 40" wings.

I have therefore decided on a Sparmax pistol grip airbrush. It comes with 3 needles from 0.3mm to 0.8mm and a maximum spray width of 60mm.

And halfway between the cost of a cheap dual action and an Iwata. So I hope I am going to be happy. I never thought of using a fridge motor to run it..... I shall have to look into that.

​​​​​
Old 08-29-2021, 12:20 PM
The Professor
Professional Nerd

Default It Lives, It Lives!!!!

So, I used the Sparmax for the first time today, and it is truly Brilliant.

Even on a 0.5mm needle, the coverage is phenomenal. Well worth the money. And very comfortable to use.