Off Topic Chit Chat Get to know other eflight modelers in the WattFlyer community here in this off topic forum. NO politics or religion discussion please (Holiday well wishes are ok)

Can you identify these ?

Old 01-13-2021, 01:11 PM
solentlife
Super Contributor

Default Can you identify these ?

No prizes I'm afraid ... but obviously 'Brownie Points' if you do.

No good looking at Photo Info data - that has been deliberately altered to hide it.

The next question is why would there be two of them ? (right hand one has been opened up for you ... ).

???
Old 01-13-2021, 01:58 PM
ron_van_sommeren
homo ludens modelisticus

One for northern hemisphere, the other for southern hemispere? Whatever they are, navigation tools?
Old 01-13-2021, 02:41 PM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

Early version of the E6B flight calculator
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	StudentE6BFlightComputer.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	461.2 KB
ID:	188336  
Old 01-13-2021, 09:20 PM
solentlife
Super Contributor

I'll let you into a bit ... my Father was the CAA Chief Flight Ops Inspector and was on the first British Commercial trans polar flight .....

Those two 'computors' were 'tools' of his trade. Now I do not know how to use them - but I remember him saying that he had two because one would be used on traditional mapping format - but other would be used on GRID format due to the polar regions having all longitudes converge to one point.
Rest of info about them sadly - I cannot pass on as my Father passed away some years ago.
Old 01-14-2021, 03:35 AM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

Used them many times, well the later versions anyway. The left side helps you plan and determine air speed, ground speed, altitude, fuel burn etc. the right side helped determine true north for course heading variations. No matter where you are on the planet except for the poles there are slight variations that the computer adjusted for.
Old 01-14-2021, 09:11 AM
solentlife
Super Contributor

Just for interest ... My Father was involved in setting up Concorde flight routes ... etc. Of course most were then cancelled because of the Sonic Boom over land.

His work on the Trans Polar flights was his most favourite work though. He always said that Concorde was an amazing feat of engineering but economically wrong. He used to compare passenger numbers across Atlantic between a 747 and Concorde .... for one 747 flight time - Concorde could not repeat enough flights to equal the passenger number.

Prior to his joining Civil Aviation - his last RAF work was with Civilian developers : Flight Refuelling, Ringwood, Hampshire UK. They were developing and pioneering In-Flight refuelling systems.