General Electric Discussions Talk about topics related to e-powered RC flying

Covering material

Old 12-12-2020, 01:49 PM
superdave62

Default Covering material

What covering material do you like to work with? I've only used TopFlte Monocote. Pros and cons of other materials would be appreciated.
Old 12-12-2020, 09:44 PM
Panther
Super Contributor

I have been using exclusivly Hobby King film. It is one of the best and stays tight. I have several planes years old and it is still tight as a drum, however the purple on one gliders wings has faded a bit but still looks good. I really think it is the best value film.
Old 12-13-2020, 02:36 PM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

I like ultracote, especially the park lite stuff for gliders.. I use Monokote as well.

The biggest differences I encounter is that ultracote seems to be easier for me to work around corners and such, however it does not hold up well to glow fuel if you are flying that as well. It works great on electrics though. UC does seem to wrinkle a bit and require some reheating form time to time to get it tight, more so that I find with MK.
Old 12-23-2020, 03:07 PM
yorcram

i like solartex, but my stash has run dry, not sure what I will replace that with
Old 08-24-2021, 11:04 PM
The Professor
Professional Nerd

Default I use easycoat

Ha, that title sounds like I know what I am talking about.

I have just made and covered my first plane. So I looked for something cheap enough for me to make mistakes with. The model shop sell rolls of seconds, so I can buy 10mtrs for less than 2mtrs of either perfect material or other brands.

It seemed quite nice once I got the temperature right. The flaws are not material flaws, but colour patching, as I painted the model, this was not a concern.

It took a while to get the shrink temp right, and my next plane will use the same covering.athough I want to create a fabric effect of the next one to match the vintage of the plane.... Will see how that goes. I shall return and post pictures of that.
Old 08-25-2021, 02:48 PM
AEAJR
Community Moderator

I have used a variety of coverings over wood and foam. They all work. I have used Monocote and Ultracote more than the others but can't say I have a favorite.
Old 10-05-2021, 10:58 PM
E-Challenged

Ultracote Parklite, for small electric powered models. Does not curl back and stick to itself while separating from backing, easier to separate from backing than other "lite" coverings.
Old 10-06-2021, 12:39 PM
solentlife
Super Contributor

With the demise of Solarfilm - that means Solartex is no longer ..... one of the best 'fabric' style for WW1 etc.

Looks like I'll be going back to 'nylon + dope' for wood jobs ... 'nylon + pva' for others.