Batteries & Chargers Discuss Li-P, Li-Ion, NiMh, Nicad battery technology and the chargers that juice 'em up!

Low battery charge

Old 04-17-2020, 01:16 AM
jromer

Default Low battery charge

I recently had a mishap where my plane "landed" in a tree overnight.
it decided to come down the next morning but the 3s battery was drained down to 1.9 volts. Is it toast now? I have it on charge now?
Old 04-17-2020, 04:02 AM
Wildflyer
Past President of PSSF

YES it most likely is toast.
Watch out it might go crazy and explode.
Anything below 9v on a 3s battery is a bad thing.
I would toss it

I hope you are using a very low charge current
Old 04-17-2020, 08:23 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

yep the battery is toast, replace it and stay away from trees, trees like to grab RC planes out of the air its not the Pilots Fault LOL trees will move closer to RC planes to Snag them out of the air, ask me how I know LOL
Old 04-18-2020, 12:29 AM
quorneng
Super Contributor

Is the battery in any way now puffy? This is a sign the battery chemistry has been damaged.
Even if you get is to recover and charge up to the normal 4.2 V per cell it is almost certain it will now have a higher internal resistance and reduced capacity. This means the voltage will sag badly as the amps increase so it will generate significantly less performance in the plane. To make matter worse some of that 'lost' power is now generating more heat within the cells which is likely to damage them further.
It just has to be properly disposed of before it gets any more damaged and potentially dangerous.
Old 04-18-2020, 08:37 AM
solentlife
Super Contributor

'quorneng' nailed it .... the likelihood is the battery will work - but at much reduced capability.

I have recovered severely depleted cells before - but the pack has not provided many flights before it just says enough is enough ...

BUT all is not lost ............ If the pack does not puff up ... if it charges and holds charge ... you can usually keep as a bench test battery. Instead of using a good flight battery for setting up a model - this bad one can do the job instead.

Make sure you label it so you don't mix it up with the good ... red tape band round it or something.
Old 04-19-2020, 11:52 PM
jromer

What is a good substitute battery for the smart 3s battery?
Old 04-20-2020, 11:31 AM
solentlife
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by jromer View Post
What is a good substitute battery for the smart 3s battery?
We need to know the exact model the battery is for .. especially that you mention SMART battery ... that gives impression of a drone battery - BUT if it was a Smart Drone Battery - it would shut down at about 9V total protecting the cells.

So - what model is it for ?
Old 04-20-2020, 07:07 PM
jromer

Hobby Zone Aeroscout is the plane I am flying. I am wondering if there is a less expensive battery I can use and also a good charger. I have the simple charger that came with the RTF version of the Aeroscout. It came with a Spektrum Smart battery so I bought 2 extras, but they are a bit pricey.
Old 04-20-2020, 11:40 PM
quorneng
Super Contributor

jromer
It looks like the Aeroscout take an perfectly standard 2200 mAh 3s 30c.
Unfortunately the Aeroscout uses EC3 connectors so the batteries are not so common and are thus more expensive (in some cases very expensive). The cheapest suitable appear to be from Hobbyking.
You can adaptors which would allow you to use a Lipo with an XT60 connector with your ES3 on the Aeroscout.

As I rarely need to charge more than one battery at a time I use an IMAX B6 mains charger like this.
It includes several different plug adaptors but unfortunately not one for an EC3.
Old 04-21-2020, 05:37 PM
jromer

THANKS!
Old 04-22-2020, 08:03 AM
solentlife
Super Contributor

If you can solder - buy a sensible priced battery and swap the connector ... or as Q says - get or make an adaptor.

There's also nothing to stop you changing the connector in the model - that way you then give yourself a wider range of batterys to choose from ... change one model connector instead of every battery !!