Standard & Large E-Heli Talk Discuss all standard and large sized electric rc helicopters in here

New heli

Old 10-08-2013, 05:09 PM
Pilot Error
Phi Crasha Planea

Default New heli

From an estate sale, Trex 600esp.

Waiting on a new gimbal for the DX7 that came with it. Then I can set it up and test it out.
Old 10-08-2013, 05:45 PM
pizzano
Behold The Renaissance

You'll need this:

http://www.e-fliterc.com/ProdInfo/Fi...013-Manual.pdf

And, since it's not the "super combo" edition, a better gyro, cnc(metal) blade holders, CNC tail rotor assembly and a decent digital tail servo other than what came stock......unless it's been upgraded.....and check for slop in the main bearing and shaft assemblies...trust me....worked on a few of these. There pretty good birds due to the size and being Align.....but like all fly-bar birds, there a pain to keep fined tuned and out of the turf.
Old 10-08-2013, 06:16 PM
Pilot Error
Phi Crasha Planea

It's got the GY401 gyro, S3151 Futaba tail servo, and a bunch of other changes. The manual actually came with it! I have a good friend who builds and 3D's the heck outta these and many other helis this size, and she (Yes, a girl!) is gonna help me go through this one with a fine-tooth comb when I get the TX back and we'll check her out and get it flyable! I have a 450 already, so I was looking for a bigger bird. I just happened upon this by accident! Not sure about the canopy though, my have to get a custom one. White isn't doing it for me....
Old 10-08-2013, 07:58 PM
pizzano
Behold The Renaissance

You may want to consider a better gyro:

Futaba 611
JR 770
Spartan 760

They are still available, under $200 and most of us who have used them swear by them for birds your size and 700/750's.......

Also consider a better tail servo if you upgrade the gyro......

Have fun, good thing youv'e got a buddy to help out with the builds.
Old 11-06-2013, 07:12 PM
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

I've been flying my 'new second hand' Trex 600. It had never turned a rotor because the original owner didn't know how to set up the electronics.

It flew great, almost perfect right from the get-go, just a little tail heavy because I was using smaller batteries for the maiden. I cant believe how much easier these large helis are compared to the 450. The 450 is so twitchy that I often felt like I was chasing it, the 600 is completely different.

Here's the maiden (boring video warning!). I hope your maiden goes as smoothly.

Old 11-06-2013, 10:53 PM
Pilot Error
Phi Crasha Planea

JetPlaneflyer, your video was cool! I can't wait to fly this one. Gotta order a couple parts and then I'll get her set up and ready to go. Working on some other projects right now that are taking all my spare heli time!
Old 11-08-2013, 04:06 AM
molokaiboy

Glad you like it. Nice flying. People do not realize how different the larger helis fly compared to 450's and smaller until they actually get one in the air for themselves.

I have one too but not the DFC version. Mine flies great, best 600 out of the other Align versions in my opinion. I have not flown the DFC version but I love my non DFC one a lot.

Mahalo,

Les
Old 11-08-2013, 05:55 PM
pizzano
Behold The Renaissance

I certainly agree that larger heli's (once one gets over the intimidation & $$$ shock factor) perform more predictable given outdoor environmental conditions and are much easier to mechanically maintain......however, a well set-up, higher end 450 with the proper equipment and TX/RX system will provide just as much enjoyment and excitement as any larger bird......and will be considerably less expensive to maintain.......of course, the difference btw. the nitro vs. electric becomes evident once you get larger than the 450 size.......but for pure electric fun, the 450 remains a very good choice! (flybar-less preferred).......
Old 11-08-2013, 06:42 PM
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

Yeah, the 450 is fun alight, but you need much faster reactions. The bigger helis seem to make me look and feel like a better flyer.
Old 11-10-2013, 02:17 PM
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

Pilot Error, To give you a little encouragement to get it set up and in the air here's another video of my Trex 600 flying yesterday, you gotta love the noise this thing makes on a fast pass!:
Old 11-10-2013, 09:26 PM
Pilot Error
Phi Crasha Planea

Originally Posted by JetPlaneFlyer View Post
Pilot Error, To give you a little encouragement to get it set up and in the air here's another video of my Trex 600 flying yesterday, you gotta love the noise this thing makes on a fast pass!:
Thanks for the video! I have to get a couple things for mine and I'm hoarding $$$ for the holiday season so I will most likely wait until January to get mine in the air. I still stare at it every day, just happy I finally have a big bird! Never thought I could afford one on my limited military disability income!
Old 11-11-2013, 11:02 AM
barry777

This is nice but hard to get bits for as there are new FBL one's out but is very nice with the blue upgrades that now we find hard to replace. CNC machined main gear for excellent balance and stability. looks great fly's well if set up correctly .....
Old 11-11-2013, 11:18 AM
Pilot Error
Phi Crasha Planea

Originally Posted by barry777 View Post
This is nice but hard to get bits for as there are new FBL one's out but is very nice with the blue upgrades that now we find hard to replace. CNC machined main gear for excellent balance and stability. looks great fly's well if set up correctly .....
Not sure what you are saying? Where do you live that you have trouble finding parts? I live 30 minutes from a HUGE hobby shop with lots of heli parts, (In fact it's own department there) and great techs.

http://www.gravesrc.com/
Old 11-24-2013, 10:32 PM
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

Pilot error,

I hope the 600 is getting close to flying. I managed to strip a gear on one of the cyclic servos on mine so it's grounded until I fit a near gear set, should be ready to go next weekend.

With the 600 sidelined I was practising with my 500 and plucked up the courage to do a few loops and also practising auto rotates at the end of the flight (ignore the 'bounce' just after lift off)

Hope this inspires you to get the 600 flying

Old 11-25-2013, 03:34 AM
Pilot Error
Phi Crasha Planea

Nice flying! I am having to wait a couple weeks before I can get to setting mine up. I am swamped right now with hot rod work...Grrrr....!