Delta & Flying Wings Discuss electric powered delta (flying wing) style aircraft here.

funjet launching

Old 02-21-2011, 07:05 PM
collective itch

Default funjet launching

just ordered a funjet, and have heard can be sketchy during launch, and is danger from prop. i launch my flying wing, by holding one side and throwing sort of frisbee style so im clear of the prop. is this possible with a funjet at all?
thanks
Old 02-21-2011, 07:07 PM
Grasshopper
Some Assembly Required

I always gripped the bottom of the fuselage on my Funjet and gave it a regular toss. I just made sure I followed through on the throw and my arm continued in an arc downward and away from the plane. I never had an issue with it.
Old 02-21-2011, 07:19 PM
collective itch

yeh thats what im gonna try, still got a bit of chilli in my shorts over it tho
Old 02-21-2011, 07:55 PM
TylerJCooper

Originally Posted by Grasshopper View Post
I always gripped the bottom of the fuselage on my Funjet and gave it a regular toss. I just made sure I followed through on the throw and my arm continued in an arc downward and away from the plane. I never had an issue with it.
Ditto, same thing here. If you are paying attention, you don't have too much to worry about.
Old 02-21-2011, 11:30 PM
flydiver
Super Contributor

Before you chuck it...think carefully.....follow though.
Then you'll be fine.
Old 02-21-2011, 11:46 PM
collective itch

lol, great so on the maiden ive got to make sure it doesnt torque roll, stall, and i launch it ok. brilliant lol cheers for all the input, tho seriously, much appreciated
Old 02-21-2011, 11:57 PM
Grasshopper
Some Assembly Required

It's really alot easier than it sounds. Mine flew at 105 mph and it had no problems with torque rolls. Launches were smooth and uneventful. You'll be fine.
Old 02-22-2011, 12:24 AM
collective itch

Thumbs up

cheers hopper, no doubt youll see a post about my maiden
Old 02-23-2011, 08:51 PM
collective itch

is everyone gluing the rear hatch down, or doing the mod with magnets?
seems if glued its hard to reach esc, adjust cog etc
what about this mod?
[media]http://www.rcuniverse.com/magazine/reviews/913/fj8.jpg[/media]
Old 02-23-2011, 08:55 PM
Grasshopper
Some Assembly Required

I used a few spots of hot glue to hold mine down. I made sure everything was where I wanted it and the CG was correct then glued it. I was afraid magnets wouldn't hold it at over 100 mph. By just using a spot of glue in each corner, it was easy to remove if needed.
Old 02-23-2011, 08:57 PM
Grasshopper
Some Assembly Required

You might want to limit your question to one thread instead of 5. It will be easier for people to answer and you won't have to keep checking 5 different threads for answers to your question.
Old 02-23-2011, 09:11 PM
collective itch

Originally Posted by Grasshopper View Post
You might want to limit your question to one thread instead of 5. It will be easier for people to answer and you won't have to keep checking 5 different threads for answers to your question.
yeah, jus wanted to get the answer, as im building now. your right though, im used to other forums where it takes weeks to get an answer. point taken though, and thanks for the info
Old 02-23-2011, 09:16 PM
Grasshopper
Some Assembly Required

Originally Posted by collective itch View Post
yeah, jus wanted to get the answer, as im building now. your right though, im used to other forums where it takes weeks to get an answer. point taken though, and thanks for the info
No problem. We're here to help. You'll find most of the members try to answer questions pretty quickly. Not always the case, but most of the time.
Old 02-24-2011, 01:42 AM
TylerJCooper

I'm still with hopper. I glued mine will because I am getting over 100 mph. I have changed out motors, ESC, etc. It hasn't been too hard to snake the wiring through the fuselage. I always use a battery extension from the ESC to the lipo to get there with ease.
Old 02-24-2011, 07:36 PM
collective itch

cheers, what and how do you secure esc with velcro? i was thinking of runninng a long strip of velcro down fuse, so i can adjust. how does that sound, or have u just velcroed in one place.
thanks
Old 03-01-2011, 02:00 AM
iflyrc1012
Insane Wiggy pilot

i have all types,sizes,weights of flying wings and no matter what
i launch them all this way,into the wind, sidearm, left-handed,half throttle and slightly up.(the little kick with my foot is optional)
the launch 50 seconds into the video.with this technique there is no way to get bit by the prop.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJJe7QLT0vE[/media]
Old 03-01-2011, 02:03 AM
FlyWheel
Ochroma Pyramidale Tekton

If our throttle control is on the left (mode 2) and you throw right handed (or vice versa) you could always launch power off "with your finger on the trigger" and start the prop as soon as the plane leaves your hand. Momentum should keep it aloft for the millisecond it will be gliding unpowered.

Just a suggestion.

Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-01-2011, 09:38 AM
collective itch

Originally Posted by iflyrc1012 View Post
i have all types,sizes,weights of flying wings and no matter what
i launch them all this way,into the wind, sidearm, left-handed,half throttle and slightly up.(the little kick with my foot is optional)
the launch 50 seconds into the video.with this technique there is no way to get bit by the prop.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJJe7QLT0vE[/media]
yeah i was thinking that, as thats how i launch my flying wing, but was advised against launching a funjet like that as it wouldnt have enough airspeed. you ever launched a funjet this way or seen anyone launch this way?
Old 03-01-2011, 09:40 AM
collective itch

Originally Posted by FlyWheel View Post
If our throttle control is on the left (mode 2) and you throw right handed (or vice versa) you could always launch power off "with your finger on the trigger" and start the prop as soon as the plane leaves your hand. Momentum should keep it aloft for the millisecond it will be gliding unpowered.

Just a suggestion.

Posted via Mobile Device
i had also thought about this, but heard there would be an even bigger amount of torque/prop spin from powering up like this. thoughts?
Old 03-02-2011, 01:22 AM
iflyrc1012
Insane Wiggy pilot

there is no noticeable roll either way if you throw into the wind.. if you have to toss it crosswind, just be ready for it to turn that way and adjust your toss. don't try to throw it too hard, just get it flying, the motor will do most of the launch. at half throttle, it should want to fly, so you throw it just fast enough to fly, then accelerate into a climbing turn. in the vid you can see this one fly straight out of my hand, until i turn it, and that was a tiny wing in 20 mph gusts.it's been windy as heck here for the past three months. i will say i avoid doing maiden flights this way, i'd rather have both hands on the sticks for the first one. but once it's trimmed out, the backhand toss works fine. both of these get launched this way also.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	orange stryker.jpg
Views:	367
Size:	117.2 KB
ID:	144122   Click image for larger version

Name:	nightflyer5.jpg
Views:	346
Size:	75.6 KB
ID:	144123  
Old 03-02-2011, 01:34 AM
iflyrc1012
Insane Wiggy pilot

collective itch,
to answer your question, yes i have seen funjets tossed in this manner, also strykers,combat wings and alot of other stuff.(i'm like the go to guy to handlaunch anything on our field.. some weekends i'll do 25 or more...) be aware, off power launches will produce a roll due to the sudden torque of the motor.that's why i launch with 1/2 throttle

Last edited by iflyrc1012; 03-02-2011 at 04:02 AM.
Old 03-03-2011, 02:52 PM
r_kopka
Electric Only

I also launch it by gripping the bottom, no scars until now.

But it may happen. One of our club made a mistake and needed some stitches. I don't remember exactly what happened, but he either stumbled during launch or changed his mind after beginning the toss.

So just stay concentrated, have a good stand, don't run and give it a good steady level toss.

RK
Old 03-04-2011, 12:22 AM
iflyrc1012
Insane Wiggy pilot

any time the motor is connected to a power source, and has a prop on it you can get bit.. i treat my planes like my guns, their always loaded. but if you use common sense, you can limit your exposure to the live swinging prop. but accidents happen...anybody who's been doing this hobby for any length of time has scar and a war story to tell about it..i guess we have all shed a drop or two in search of the perfect plane and flight. my biggest enemy is that X-acto blade.. i've cut off the tip of my fingers so many times i can't remember.
Old 03-04-2011, 12:29 AM
collective itch

definately food for though i suppose, i think im gonna try the wing grab toss like i do with my wing...hopefully should go ok
Old 03-04-2011, 12:41 AM
iflyrc1012
Insane Wiggy pilot

you'll be fine, if you got the skills to handle a funjet, then the handlaunch will be easy...

Quick Reply: funjet launching

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.13996 seconds with 13 queries