Informal Clubs Club Talk

The Official Texas Hill Country Wattheads Thread

Old 02-02-2010, 02:21 AM
Angler-Hi
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by al c View Post
Being new to the hobby I asked the guys in Kingsland and they wanted me to make sure if had the trainer port and if it was compatable with another tx / radios.

My thinks I should go 2.4, but I see alot of guys using the 72 stuff. Why did you switch if you don't mind me asking.

When you get to burnet hang a right on 29 and bear right on 261. That will put in my area. When we go to FBurg I go through LLano and down 16. There is a lot less traffic at least thats what I think.

Thanks

I was a beginner whn I bought both radios. I bought the Hitec Optic 6 (72mhz) because it was a recommended radio when I bought my first balsa plane.

I noticed that alot of the guys here on Wattflyer were raving about the new Spektrum DX7, so I decided to get that one too, lol. I have only flown two of my planes with the DX7 and all the others on my Optic 6. I've decided to go with the better of the two radios. Besides, I like not having the antenna wire hanging out the end of my planes, lol. The DX7 is a 7ch radio and the Optic 6 is a 6ch radio. I don't really have the need for two radios, so I'm consolidating.

al
Mike,

Is the manual on line? Maybe I can spend sometime reading it and not bother you.

al
I haven't seen the manual on-line. I'm not sure if it is or not friend. If you see yourself staying in the hobby, it's only a matter of time before you go with a 2.4ghz radio, lol. Your radio will be the most important investment you'll make in this hobby...When starting out, you want at least a 6ch radio. As you progress you'll want something like the DX7. Your needs will become more complex, calling for a more complex radio. The DX7 does it all! If you have anymore questions feel free to ask, please. If you don't want her, it's no big deal friend...I just don't want you to quit this awesome hobby due to not having the equipment needed. Always here to help a fellow watthead, lol.

Mike
Old 02-02-2010, 02:47 AM
al c
Real new

Default With much thanks

Mike,

This is a great hobby and the people I met have been really great and very helpful.

As a radio guy I've learned not to let antenna's bug me. This will at the very least get me started at I learn more. By the way the sim is killing me.

Let me know when and were you want to meet (Lampasas), you call it.

Thank you very much!
al
Old 02-02-2010, 02:27 PM
Angler-Hi
Super Contributor

Mike,

This is a great hobby and the people I met have been really great and very helpful.

As a radio guy I've learned not to let antenna's bug me. This will at the very least get me started at I learn more. By the way the sim is killing me.

Let me know when and were you want to meet (Lampasas), you call it.

Thank you very much!
al
No worries friend. I don't know much about Lampasas, other than passing through on my way to Fredericksburg, lol. I can always meet you somewhere up in Marble Falls, or I could even mail it to you. Just let me know.

I should be home from work today around 5:00pm if not before. If you want, give me a call. My number is 254-213-2079.

Mike
Old 02-02-2010, 08:45 PM
al c
Real new

Post will make the call

Mike,

The link below is the club I will join. Two the guys in the neigborhood also below, which makes it all the more fun. So far the guys have been great and most helpful to the new guy.

http://highlandlakesflyers.org/index.html

Thanks for the phone call, I can sure tell that you have been at this for sometime. It's guys like you that attract guys like me to get of his rear and get into the hobby.

If get the rain their call for Buchanan may be boatable mid spring. Can't wait haven't had the boat in the water for a year.

Give me a call thursday will set up the meet; you have the home number and my cel number 916-947-7444 for the record.

Thanks again
al

Last edited by al c; 02-02-2010 at 11:43 PM.
Old 02-03-2010, 12:07 AM
Angler-Hi
Super Contributor

No problem Al. I'll give you a hollar on Thursday, and I'll see you on Friday. By the way, here's a pic of my boat, lol.

Mike
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	1998 Nitro 700LX 2.JPG
Views:	90
Size:	116.2 KB
ID:	119696   Click image for larger version

Name:	1998 Nitro 700LX.JPG
Views:	77
Size:	97.7 KB
ID:	119697  
Old 02-03-2010, 01:27 AM
Capt Easy
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by Angler-Hi View Post
No problem Al. I'll give you a hollar on Thursday, and I'll see you on Friday. By the way, here's a pic of my boat, lol.

Mike
Wow...Mike! Nice looking rig. Not difficult to see why you're so excited about it. I hope you'll still find time to do some flying....

Can we mount some twin .50's up front.....? Just a thought.
Old 02-03-2010, 01:35 AM
rea59
BEEP..Bleep..BEEP

Mike
Nice! you do realize that a boat is just a hole in the water that you pour money into. LOL
Old 02-03-2010, 01:43 AM
Capt Easy
Super Contributor

Mike,

The link below is the club I will join. Two the guys in the neigborhood also below, which makes it all the more fun. So far the guys have been great and most helpful to the new guy.

http://highlandlakesflyers.org/index.html

Thanks for the phone call, I can sure tell that you have been at this for sometime. It's guys like you that attract guys like me to get of his rear and get into the hobby.

If get the rain their call for Buchanan may be boatable mid spring. Can't wait haven't had the boat in the water for a year.

Give me a call thursday will set up the meet; you have the home number and my cel number 916-947-7444 for the record.

Thanks again
al
Al,
Just visited your club website and read some of the interesting history. Sounds like you have a great bunch of guys up there. I we can join you sometime and share some flying.
Looks like the weather will have to improve a bit before any of us get the chance to fly for a while now though.
I'm Looking forward to meeting you sometime
Best,
Dick
Old 02-03-2010, 02:02 AM
al c
Real new

Default Good Bunch

Originally Posted by Capt Easy View Post
Al,
Just visited your club website and read some of the interesting history. Sounds like you have a great bunch of guys up there. I we can join you sometime and share some flying.
Looks like the weather will have to improve a bit before any of us get the chance to fly for a while now though.
I'm Looking forward to meeting you sometime
Best,
Dick
They have sure been a great help in understand the hobby, hints and kinks so much so that I'm going into information overload. They seem to have a lot fun kidding and helping each other. They had a float fly in LLano this morning, I found were they were and watched for about anhour. That's fun stuff!

I haven't jointed yet, but well very soon.

I look forward to meeting all of you soon as well.

al
Old 02-03-2010, 02:36 AM
groundrushesup
Super Contributor

I haven't seen the manual on-line. I'm not sure if it is or not friend. If you see yourself staying in the hobby, it's only a matter of time before you go with a 2.4ghz radio, lol. Your radio will be the most important investment you'll make in this hobby...When starting out, you want at least a 6ch radio. As you progress you'll want something like the DX7. Your needs will become more complex, calling for a more complex radio. The DX7 does it all! If you have anymore questions feel free to ask, please. If you don't want her, it's no big deal friend...I just don't want you to quit this awesome hobby due to not having the equipment needed. Always here to help a fellow watthead, lol.

Mike
Al,

Which manual were you looking for?

Here is the manual to the FM version of the Optic 6.

Here is the DX7 manual.

Cheers.

Josh
Old 02-03-2010, 05:36 AM
Capt Easy
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by groundrushesup View Post
Al,

Here is the DX7 manual.

Cheers.

Josh
Good call Josh....
Al, if you haven't guessed by now Josh is our tech advisor. At least I've taken it upon myself to pin that title on him. He's a great friend, asset and good pilot.
Mike, Josh and I have only been flying a relatively short time but I think we're all fortunate to be brought together by the same compulsion that drives this sport/hobby and it's such a pleasure to share it.
If there's anything we can do to help you out please lst us know.
Dick
Old 02-03-2010, 12:38 PM
al c
Real new

Default Thanks

Al,

Here is the DX7 manual.

Cheers.

Josh
I have found the manual and have been doing my home work in advance of Mike and I's meeting.

But I do have a question that no one at the club seems to be able to answer. Can I use the Optic 6 with a Futaba as the buddy box? I haven't found much info online.

Josh, everyone I've met in this hobby (including a few other new guys) are good people and it just keeps going. I will be honest I'm glad to meet the tech!

al
Old 02-03-2010, 04:41 PM
groundrushesup
Super Contributor

Good call Josh....
Al, if you haven't guessed by now Josh is our tech advisor. At least I've taken it upon myself to pin that title on him. He's a great friend, asset and good pilot.
Mike, Josh and I have only been flying a relatively short time but I think we're all fortunate to be brought together by the same compulsion that drives this sport/hobby and it's such a pleasure to share it.
If there's anything we can do to help you out please lst us know.
Dick
I'll take that moniker on the condition that I can stipulate that I don't know half of a third (1/6th!) of what some guys who have been in the hobby for much longer know. And that it doesn't make me a target for nerd comments
Old 02-03-2010, 04:43 PM
groundrushesup
Super Contributor

I have found the manual and have been doing my home work in advance of Mike and I's meeting.

But I do have a question that no one at the club seems to be able to answer. Can I use the Optic 6 with a Futaba as the buddy box? I haven't found much info online.

Josh, everyone I've met in this hobby (including a few other new guys) are good people and it just keeps going. I will be honest I'm glad to meet the tech!

al
Al,

It is a complicated subject for sure. I have seen threads that say that if both radios have the six-pin connection there is a way to make them work together.

What model, year and frequency is the Futaba? I'll do some research this afternoon.

josh
Old 02-04-2010, 12:05 AM
Angler-Hi
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by rea59 View Post
Nice! you do realize that a boat is just a hole in the water that you pour money into. LOL
Lookin forwared to it, lol!!
Old 02-04-2010, 12:13 AM
Angler-Hi
Super Contributor

Sorry I missed some of these recent posts guys...my house went elecrtical crazy on me. Some of my lights got extremely bright, then I heard light bulbs busting throughout my house!! My house was filled with that electrical burning smell...BAD! I had my wife and kids along with our three dogs outside in the front yard freezing our butts off, while waiting for the electrician. It fried the transformer on my A/C unit, completely fried my computer (yes it as plugged into a surge protecter), and friend my cable box!! I'm using my daughter's computer right now, until I can get out and buy a new one this weekend.

Been a long day waiting on the electrician to show up and fix things...AGAIN (he was here last night). I had to take my daughter to her Dr appt this morning so she could have an ingrown toe nail removed on both toes, waited on the A/C guy, and had to go by the cable company to swap out router, cable box and modem, lol.
Old 02-04-2010, 12:59 AM
Capt Easy
Super Contributor

Mike,
What an ordeal...I'm glad you got everybody out I guess you're luck it didn't catch fire. I'm afraid to ask........how's your DX7?
Old 02-04-2010, 02:19 AM
al c
Real new

Mike,

I assume everyone is OK, besides being cold. I hope the electrician got everything fix. Any idea what caused it? Take care and take a break.

al
Old 02-04-2010, 02:27 AM
al c
Real new

Default Thanks for you help

Al,

It is a complicated subject for sure. I have seen threads that say that if both radios have the six-pin connection there is a way to make them work together.

What model, year and frequency is the Futaba? I'll do some research this afternoon.

josh
Josh,

To be honest I really don't know the models or year, I will check with my neighbor across the street in the morning and I know his is 72mhz. I'll let you as soon as I can.

I have spent several hours searching the web and WF without much luck.
al
Old 02-04-2010, 02:23 PM
Angler-Hi
Super Contributor

Mike,
What an ordeal...I'm glad you got everybody out I guess you're luck it didn't catch fire. I'm afraid to ask........how's your DX7?
Thanks Dick. All seems to be good though. My DX7 is fine, lol.

Mike,

I assume everyone is OK, besides being cold. I hope the electrician got everything fix. Any idea what caused it? Take care and take a break.

al
Hey Al, I never got an answer as to what caused this, but he changed out some electrical outlets and did something with the breaker box. My home phone is out right now due to the weather, but hopefully it will be working by the time I get home from work. Everytime it rains here, there's an issue with my phone or cable box.

Also, I have a 12:30 dental appt tomorrow, so we will have to meet early friend. I forgot all about that, lol.

Mike
Old 02-04-2010, 05:06 PM
al c
Real new

Default That's OK

Mike,

If the phone is out either post a replay or email me at: [email protected]. I'll will work with your schedule without a problem. Hope things are getting back to normal.

Al
Old 02-04-2010, 05:38 PM
Angler-Hi
Super Contributor

Mike,

If the phone is out either post a replay or email me at: [email protected]. I'll will work with your schedule without a problem. Hope things are getting back to normal.

Al
I'm home for lunch right now, but I should be home today at about 3:30pm. I'll give you a call as soon as I get home bud.

Mike
Old 02-04-2010, 06:34 PM
Capt Easy
Super Contributor

Dick - I found this page that seems to recommend a three-stage process.

http://www.bare-metal.com/Experts-Ch...ecal-Film.html

I am looking to order some of the Liquid Decal film, Micro Sol and Micro Set for my own purposes. I looked on the microscale website but minimum order is 20 bucks so I might just buy two bottles of each.

http://www.microscale.com/Merchant2/...y_Code=FINPROD

Wx looks piss poor tomorrow but I am gonna cruise up anyways after I try again to get my hair cut. That is of course unless you have plans. Let me know.

Josh
Josh - I'm almost ready to apply some of those beautiful decals. I gave them four light coats of Kryon Matt Clear so far but don't want to screw the application up.

I understand after studying the suggested link the Micro Set preps the surface and the Micro Set softens the decal. Sounds good to me but I was curious what your personal experience has been thus far and if you had additional tips in particular.
No rush, I'm just trying to cover all the possabilities.

Thanks bud.
Old 02-04-2010, 06:43 PM
groundrushesup
Super Contributor

Josh - I'm almost ready to apply some of those beautiful decals. I gave them four light coats of Kryon Matt Clear so far but don't want to screw the application up.

I understand after studying the suggested link the Micro Set preps the surface and the Micro Set softens the decal. Sounds good to me but I was curious what your personal experience has been thus far and if you had additional tips in particular.
No rush, I'm just trying to cover all the possabilities.

Thanks bud.
Dick,

the Liquid Decal film would fulfill the same purpose as the Krylon - The Micro SET sticks the decal and the Micro SOL is the stuff that melts it onto the surface.

I haven't checked my mail in a few days but I would bet that my order is sitting in the mailbox. I dunno if you can apply the micro sol after the decal dries but I will look into it. Either way like I said its 15 bucks for a bottle of Set, Sol, and the two other things I forget what they are now. I doubled up on the order just in case you were interested.

I'll cal you up today or tomorrow when I get a spare minute.
Old 02-04-2010, 06:56 PM
Capt Easy
Super Contributor

Dick,

the Liquid Decal film would fulfill the same purpose as the Krylon - The Micro SET sticks the decal and the Micro SOL is the stuff that melts it onto the surface.

I haven't checked my mail in a few days but I would bet that my order is sitting in the mailbox. I dunno if you can apply the micro sol after the decal dries but I will look into it. Either way like I said its 15 bucks for a bottle of Set, Sol, and the two other things I forget what they are now. I doubled up on the order just in case you were interested.

I'll cal you up today or tomorrow when I get a spare minute.
Thanks, Josh -

From what I understood the MiCro "Set" preps the surface of the model but maybe I misunderstood. Anyway the Kryon has been applied to the surface of the decals.

I'd like to use the Sol to "soften" the decal but now I'm wondering if the Kryon might interfere with it.

Quick Reply: The Official Texas Hill Country Wattheads Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.12113 seconds with 13 queries