RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Question about radio's FM crystals

Old 01-02-2008, 12:38 AM
arsonk9

Default Question about radio's FM crystals

I am new, and I will try to be brief. 2 years ago I bought the ROTOFLY helicopter. (It still works). The radio is a 4 channel fm crystal radio in 72.590(40). I am now looking into getting into airplanes, mainly the Super cub as a trainer but I hate the cheap looking radio.
My question is, will this work with the cub.
1. can I use the 4 channel radio with other models by just switching the crystals?
2. Can I use this radio with other models by adding receivers and different crystals? Like 4 models, interchanging the radio crystal.
3. What receivers would work (if any)?

Any help would be appreciated. And, if I can, when money allows I would like to get the DX7 radio but this is down the road, any comments?. I Have a family to support thats why I have to wait.
Richard
Old 01-02-2008, 02:28 AM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

Hi and welcome to Wattflyer.

The first thing you have to figure out is wheter the receiver is postive of negative shift. Once you know that you can buy a receiver with the crystal to match the Tx. If it is not a prorietary type system which may cause problems...

Your best bet though is to look araound for a good used setup if funds are tight. You can get a decent used radio for under $100 bucks. I just sold a real nice Hitec Laser for $50 with a receiver.

That will serve you much better and work much better than what you have. Most of the ones that come with those type stuff are not very powerful and will have somewhat limited range.
Old 01-02-2008, 02:34 AM
rcers
Super Contributor

Richard sadly those TX's are typically very cheap. I don't have your model but I converted one for a slow stick and it has about 200-300 foot range.... Pretty much useless.

Bill is right - you are much better off to get a better system now. The DX7 is a fantastic radio - and you can find them used right now (with the JR 9X out guys are upgrading).

Mike
Old 01-02-2008, 02:35 AM
arsonk9

Thanks for the response, A hundred is not out of reach for a good used system, but 350 is not in the budget(for new). Thanks for the advice.
Old 01-02-2008, 02:40 AM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

No problem bud. Look around the for sale sections here, and on rcg and rcu. There are plenty out there.

Good luck and let us know how you progress.