Off Topic Chit Chat Get to know other eflight modelers in the WattFlyer community here in this off topic forum. NO politics or religion discussion please (Holiday well wishes are ok)

Dying clubs with bad attitudes

Old 03-19-2021, 03:24 PM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

Default Dying clubs with bad attitudes

Saw a post on facebook this morning that got me to thinking...

I am president of our club. Took over about 6 years ago. We are a very small club, that had lost most of our members to clubs over an hours drive away. We have been trying to build it back up ever since I took the position. All the folks I run into in our area that used to be members say they left because of attitudes that degraded foamies, ARF's, quads or whatever wasn't a scratch or kit built glow plane.

We had dropped down to only 6 members and just about locked the gate for good. We are slowly building, back up to 20 or so now and damned if that attitude will run any more off. This is a great hobby and to see one of my members enjoying the day flying his Timber with his son is what makes this hobby great. I just built a 15ft wingspan sailplane and love watching them, that gives me as much joy as flying mine.

I will never understand the need for someone to pick on anyone or bully anyone else. there are so many good things in life to focus on instead of degrading people who think differently that you do. I guess this is an age old thing that carries over to this hobby or any other for that matter. I just find it terribly sad that so many new folks are run off from being potential ALA and Club members to fly in fields or elsewhere, mostly alone. One of the joys of this hobby for me is seeing other folks and what they are doing. Like the father/son/Timber combo.

Happy flying, wave and smile at someone!
Old 03-19-2021, 04:44 PM
solentlife
Super Contributor

Your club is not alone in this.

Its a battle to convince 'loners' to join a club and enjoy the camaraderie ... and a battle to contain the bias that some display. We have a very good club where I fly - BUT it has its share of them. One is a real pain about Stabilisers (gyros) ..... he will make comments plain to all if a model is flown with one ...
I have a unique one as well ... because I don't speak Latvian - there is one who makes comments at times about my lack of latvian but living there ... fact that I put into the club benefiting all including him is ignored.
Old 03-19-2021, 09:45 PM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

It was at my previous club as well. I started out as electric and was the only member along with my son that was electric at the time. for exception of a few guys we were pretty much shunned. My dogged determination finally got us accepted. It took me buying and flying a glow powered cub to really get in but we did.

I remember vividly a club meeting where the president asked people for open and honest opinions about how to make the club better. I stood up and said quit making fun of new guys and electrics and several older members openly laughed at me for saying it. I went on to host our annual electric event with 100+ pilots on average and was our biggest fundraiser for the club every year. Those same old guys complained that the field was electric only that one day out of the year, even though it raised enough money to drop club dues by $20 a year.

And yet they still wondered why club numbers were dropping every year.

I just don't get it.
Old 03-20-2021, 03:20 AM
Don Sims
Administrator

I visited several clubs when we moved to middle TN and one was full of folks that were totally negative about electrics. I didn't join them but went back three years later at the invitation of a guy I bought a plane from. The complainers were all flying electrics.I got a good chuckle out of it. They complained about other things that day.
Even though the field is a nice one, I'll drive further to a club with less drama. Don't have the time nor patience that you gents do to change attitudes from within.
Old 03-20-2021, 03:34 AM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

My patience is wearing thin with it for sure. I just want our club to survive. I like my 5 minute drive to my field! Next closest one is just under an hour away.
Old 03-20-2021, 10:05 AM
solentlife
Super Contributor

Myself and a few others are moving away from the club we've supported for years and actively looking for alternative site. One reason is that one person - actually same one who likes to deride gyros - is self appointed Judge and Jury on Club events and programs.

It may not seem much - but examples :

Invited to provide display show at Childrens festival.
During solo displays - I offered to let kids hold any model and have parents photo them.
HE objected and asked me to stop ...

Next show we were invited to - HE set up a photo area round HIS models as the 'official' club Photo with a Model.

At every show we did - HE would have a solo session at least twice while all of us were either all together or a few of his pals might get a single solo flight.
Comments were made to try and make the shows more 'freestyle' and reduce the speciality solo stuff ... but it never changed ... till a number of us just said - ENOUGH ... WE WILL FLY.

Shows now of course are a problem as I am the only person in the club legally allowed to fly at public events - being registered and with suitable Insurance. I've tried helping the club - even offered to pay the block Insurance for them - repayment via club subs - but I'm up against HIM ... if its not organised by HIM - it doesn't happen.

Old 07-22-2021, 12:35 AM
guapoman2000
Space Ship 1

Hello good people,

Like to say that my RC Club (Moon Port Modelers RC Club) located at Titusville, Florida (Exit 215 on Interstate 95) is perhaps the most diverse now and do not have any issues with groupies, nasty people criticizing other's stuff.

Even when I became a member back in late 2002 there was only one member (George) that was the only Electric flying member and the rest were traditional Glow / Gas.

20+ years later we have lost at least 10 members that passed away including one President that held this position for a long time. Others were Snow Birds (Seasonal Members) that came during the winter months from up north on their large RV rides.

I am one of five RC Instructors and can tell you that we have just a terrific bunch of guys in our RC Club. Many come almost every day and hang out at the RC Club and later some of them head over at the close by McDonalds near the I-95 and SR-405.

If anyone visits Central Florida then, please come and visit us.

Warm Regards,
Carlos M.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Direections Moon Port2.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	595.4 KB
ID:	188490  
Old 07-30-2021, 07:24 PM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

Would love to come visit your club. sounds like a great one!
Old 08-01-2021, 08:01 PM
solentlife
Super Contributor

Back in UK I was member of a number of clubs and each had their clun evening meets. They were good affairs with swaps and sales .. chats ... etc.

Tried to get then here to do similar but it fell on deaf ears. I even offered to source a caravan as a club 'house' .....

Don't know what else to do.

This year though - I've asked a few others about meets and also club subs .... each one I spoke to said they haven't paid subs this year based on lack of flight meetings. SAD