Batteries & Chargers Discuss Li-P, Li-Ion, NiMh, Nicad battery technology and the chargers that juice 'em up!

Permanent installation of parallel lipo batteries

Old 07-16-2021, 07:54 PM
amadill

Question Permanent installation of parallel lipo batteries

I'm building a RC electric airboat and I'd like to use a pair of matched 5000 mAh 3S lipos. They will be mounted in an area that will be inconvenient to access, ie under a screw down waterproof hatch. I know there is no problem in tee'ing the power leads to the ESC in parallel. I'd like to put the 4 wire charge connectors in parallel and run them to an external charging connector on the deck so that I don't have to take the batteries out in order to charge them. Are there any issues in leaving both the power and charge connectors tied in parallel 7/24?

I know that I'm going to get admonished about charging in the model and possibly about charging in parallel but the batteries will always have the cells in balance and the voltages will be the same between the two packs. I'll make sure that model is someplace where I can't set the house on fire when charging. Most of the horror stories I've read about batteries going up in flames were the result of improper hookup or physical damage to the packs.

TIA
Old 07-16-2021, 08:07 PM
solentlife
Super Contributor

Basically paralleling main or balance leads is same thing in effect. If you have mains going to one ESC ... you already have connected the batterys .....

The only difference with the balance lead is that you will be paralleling the cells as well as the battery as a whole.

There are LiPo's that are parallel batterys ...... ie 3S 2P etc.

You will need to regularly check the individual packs to make sure one is not degrading faster than another ... if one cell is going down faster - it will drag others as well.
Old 07-16-2021, 08:19 PM
amadill

Thank you for the quick reply. :-) The batteries will be a pair of DXF 5000 3S1P (
Amazon Amazon
) so I guess I will have a 3S2P pack. They will be powering a Surpass C2216-08 1120KV (
Amazon Amazon
) swinging a 7 x 4 x 3 blade prop in a Dumas Windy airboat. I should get well over 1/2 an hour of run time as I don't think I'll ever get it up to full throttle.
Old 07-16-2021, 11:52 PM
ron_van_sommeren
homo ludens modelisticus

Same make/type/capacity/C-ratinghistory, charge and discharge them as one pack.