General Electric Discussions Talk about topics related to e-powered RC flying

RC plane design

Old 10-07-2011, 09:32 PM
willo47

Default RC plane design

We want to make an RC plane out of foam. I think it is going to be 3 channel.
Old 10-07-2011, 09:48 PM
Glacier Girl
Kamikaze Ace

Well that's nice. Post shots as you go!

Oh and Welcome to WattFlyer!!!
Old 10-07-2011, 10:02 PM
slipstick
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by willo47 View Post
We want to make an RC plane out of foam. I think it is going to be 3 channel.
Good idea. Thanks for sharing that .

Steve
Old 10-07-2011, 10:31 PM
prof_fate

He's my son. We have a balsa/cote wing from a trainer I tried some 10 years ago. the fuse and tailfeathers are trashed. It was an ARF in it's day, basically an electric conversion of a gas model I think - this was back in the day of brushed motors and nicad batteries. I guess you might say is was more of a motor glider - no landing gear, folding prop, but the fuse looked like your typical all balsa trainer.

So we've got a double dihedral (think sailplane) wing, no ailerons to start with. I"m thinking a foam fuse - I've got some 2" blue insulation foam...figure mount 9g servos in holes cut into the foam (cause I have 9g servios...) and an epp or something tail.

It's a lot of wing area is my concern...I'll have to try and weigh things to see where it all sits, but other than time it should be a no cost build (i've still got the 'big' esc from back in the day and a spare receiver for my dx6i - if I go brushed just need a motor and prop, or perhaps just update with a brushless motor and esc...I have an assortment of lipos from helis and a rock crawler to work with.
Old 10-08-2011, 03:17 AM
earthsciteach

Look up foam RC plans on the internet. Or just design your own. Either way, foam is great stuff. Buy a bottle of white Gorilla Glue and a roll of Scotch packaging tape-both are very necessary. If at first you don't succeed, learn from it and improve!
Old 10-08-2011, 03:28 AM
prof_fate

I've read about 'foam safe CA' - I know gorilla tape (WAY better than duck type tapes).

My plane building experience is way old - 60s and 70s...balsa, lite play and either monocote or tissue (for rubber powered comets/guillows type planes). As a baby my dad used real glue (the kind they don't sell because it got sniffed too much) and dope to build planes in "my" room. Probably explains a few things...LOL. As a youngster I had a 1 channel plane...yes, they did make such things. The one channel was rudder, and it was trimmed to climb slightly - then you turn to bring it down -I seem to recall it only turned one way too... My dad lost a couple of planes to flying away...building a plane took him months (all winter usually) and he'd often build the gear too (heathkit) my, how things have changed! I picked up the champ and put the included batts in the charger/radio and charged up teh flight batt on the drive home and flew when I got there...20 minutes from store to air!

I played some with foam for model railroading and i'm familiar with the blue (or pink) insulation foam (EPS I guess it is). EPP? Not sure i'd know if it was in front of me...not sure how to connect these foams either. I know somethings 'eat' foams and somethings don't stick well (white glue for one as it needs access to air to cure and needs to be absorbed to some extent).

By packing tape you mean ye old clear or the kind with the reinforcing strings in it? Any particular thickness better than another? I just got a number of rolls of it for work -I got duck brand heavy duty...staples also had light duty and 2 other grades plus the 3M stuff in a couple of grades...how sticky, how thick (aka heavy) and how long lasting are the important factors I assume.
Old 10-08-2011, 02:56 PM
earthsciteach

The packaging tape is also called book tape. Its clear, no reinforcing strings.

Superglue, Krazy Glue, etc will eat foam. So will most spray paints. Foam safe CA is one option, but I wasn't happy with the brand I have worked with (eflite). Took too long to bond and didn't hold well, in my opinion. I prefer white Gorilla Glue by far. It foams as it cures, so it is light in weight, much more so than two part epoxies. It is flexible once cured and can be easily sanded. You can count on it to fill small cavities from missing, broken foam.

One common foam used for building foam planes is fan fold foam. It is 1/4" thick and comes in bundles of 25 sheets folded back and forth. Cost is about $32 at my Lowes store. Sheet size is about 2'x3'. The depron foam (not sure if that is the same as EPO) is much higher quality, though. Of course, it costs more.
Old 10-08-2011, 03:16 PM
prof_fate

I've seen the fanfold at lowes - it appears (from a distance) to be the same as the thicker blue insulation foams - EPS I think, expanded poly styrene.

Good to know on the gorilla glue.

Hmm, book tape?
Old 10-08-2011, 07:08 PM
slipstick
Super Contributor

Blue and pink foams (same stuff, different manufacturer) are actually XPS (Extruded Polystyrene) closed cell foam. Lots of people seem to call them EPS though that's really the open cell beaded white foam commonly known as "Styrofoam".

EPP (expanded polypropylene) is the heavier, more bouncy, slightly greasy feeling stuff that is often used for computer packaging.

BTW "real glue", which over here we call balsa cement, is still readily available as is dope, both nitrate and butyrate.

Steve
Old 10-08-2011, 07:31 PM
Turner
Super Contributor

Here is a long running thread that should give you many ideas and tips for building with foam:

http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17311
Old 10-08-2011, 09:01 PM
mclarkson
Super Contributor

Gorilla Glue FTW!
Old 10-09-2011, 05:27 AM
prof_fate

Originally Posted by slipstick View Post
Blue and pink foams (same stuff, different manufacturer) are actually XPS (Extruded Polystyrene) closed cell foam. Lots of people seem to call them EPS though that's really the open cell beaded white foam commonly known as "Styrofoam".

EPP (expanded polypropylene) is the heavier, more bouncy, slightly greasy feeling stuff that is often used for computer packaging.

BTW "real glue", which over here we call balsa cement, is still readily available as is dope, both nitrate and butyrate.

Steve
OK, so most of the foam planes are EPS - the kind of foam that is made of 'little balls' of foam, more or less.
EPP is then the very flexy stuff.

So then , what is EPO and Elapor?
Old 10-09-2011, 02:19 PM
slipstick
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by prof_fate View Post
OK, so most of the foam planes are EPS - the kind of foam that is made of 'little balls' of foam, more or less.
EPP is then the very flexy stuff.

So then , what is EPO and Elapor?
Stuff that manufacturers with expensive equipment can mould planes out of but which can't easily be used by us mere modellers. Elapor and Parkzone's Z-Foam are trade names for varieties of EPO (Expanded Polyolefin, if that helps )

BTW there are actually very few planes made from EPS these days.

Steve
Old 07-10-2021, 12:51 AM
rcsuperhero
RcDepron.com

hey the best foam is Depron foam. see https://www.rcdepron.com/

here is an example of how it flies

&