Batteries & Chargers Discuss Li-P, Li-Ion, NiMh, Nicad battery technology and the chargers that juice 'em up!

Where is best place to store lipos - refrigerator?

Old 06-19-2008, 03:03 AM
ransom peek

Default Where is best place to store lipos - refrigerator?

I was recently advised to store lipos in a cool place.

Is the refrigerator the best location, maybe putting all the lipos together in a ziplock bag?
Old 06-19-2008, 03:57 AM
max2112
Super Contributor

Default I wouldn't.

Originally Posted by ransom peek View Post
I was recently advised to store lipos in a cool place.

Is the refrigerator the best location, maybe putting all the lipos together in a ziplock bag?
rp,
I wouldn't store any RC batteries in the fridge. The way I see it, we use our batteries pretty often. Putting them in and taking them out will develope condensation.
And water is Very bad for LiPos. Room temperature and dry is much better than cold and the possibility of moisture.

That's my $.02 , maybe some of the gurus will jump in and give a definitive answer.

btw I have seen many electronic repair shops that store alkaline (AA's , 9 volts, etc.) in the refridgerator but that was long term storeage until they were used for the first time.

Some folks use a fireproof safe to store their LiPos. Some use an old army ammo can. Some use a LiPo sack they bought on the internet. I use a shoebox on a shelf.

John

Last edited by max2112; 06-19-2008 at 03:59 AM. Reason: added the last sentence
Old 06-19-2008, 05:37 PM
Hughes500Bob
Full Scale Pilot

Long term storage at 50% mAh capacity in a cool place (55-75) like in your basement. Moisture in fridge would be bad! I would not put all my eggs in one basket!!! An ammo can is bad unless it is WELL vented .... like leaving the lid unlatched.

I lay mine out on top of the wood stove and on the basement fire place hearth. No flammables are any where near them in these locations.
Old 06-19-2008, 09:46 PM
everydayflyer
Southern Pride

3.85 volts per cell for LiPolys in Zip Lock freezer bags in the frig at approx. 40-45 F. Remove from frig. let reach room temp (several hours) remove from bag charge fly,charge fly , recharge / discharge to 3.85 per cell return to bag place back in frig.

I have three year old LiPolys which perform exactly as they did when new using this routine.

Charles
Old 10-11-2008, 08:18 AM
skyzoid

Default Storing

Hello
I've been keeping mine in the BBQ in the shade outside.
Old 10-14-2008, 07:34 PM
whitecrest

A fairly large, square Tupperware (or similar) container works well for storing lipos in the fridge. I keep the lid on for about an hour after removing from the fridge to allow them to reach room temperature and no condensation forms on the batteries, even during humid days in summer.
Old 10-15-2008, 12:56 AM
iflyrc1012
Insane Wiggy pilot

and if the batteries torch the fridge. . . you can bbq the hamburgers,hotdogs & chicken all at once, while keepin the beer cold!!!
Old 11-26-2008, 03:25 PM
spikegomez

For me, it is more better in room temperature... the humidity is more leveled than inside of my refrigerator. Ukf8001axx.
Old 11-26-2008, 07:26 PM
1320fastback

Originally Posted by skyzoid View Post
Hello
I've been keeping mine in the BBQ in the shade outside.

Great idea, although I wonder what lipo's smell like flame broiled
Old 11-07-2020, 04:09 AM
averycamila

Lipos should be store in temperature-controlled areas, it shouldn't be store in places that are too cool or too hot to try to keep it as dry as possible. also, use a proper container like a fireproof bag, and Lipo should never be stored fully charged, or with less than 50% of capacity remaining. Storing batteries in cooler temperatures might extend their life span of some, but not the case for all. it is always preferred to keep batteries in dry environments at room temperature or slightly cooler.

Last edited by firemanbill; 02-05-2021 at 03:05 PM. Reason: deleted OT link
Old 11-07-2020, 06:21 AM
Turbojoe
Mountain Models Minion

Been storing my "storage charged" Li-Po's in the fridge for going on 20 years now. Never a condensation/corrosion issue and not a single battery fire while stored there. I have close to 70 batteries now and they don't all get flown very often. I recently tested some packs that have been fridge stored for years without flying and still test damn near as good as new. The fridge storage works great for me. Do whatever you feel most comfortable with. Don't do anything stupid with a Li-Po and it probably won't bite you.I can honestly say I have NEVER seen a Li-Po fire that wasn't the result of a crash or being plugged in backwards. I treat my batteries with respect but I don't fear them like a hand grenade with the pin pulled.

Joe
Old 11-07-2020, 09:20 AM
solentlife
Super Contributor

OK ... lets get down to physics .....

1. Fridge storage of LiPo's reduces the temperature of the cells such that reaction is slowed and extends the slow self discharge time significantly. Heat is one of the biggest enemies of batterys.
2. Storage charge level of LiPo's incl High Voltage is 3.7v to 3.85v per cell.... with the best storage at the low range. (as given me by Senior Tech at Mallory). According to him - 3.75v is best, but 3.85v if you want shorter recharge time.
3, The safest LiPo is one reduced to minimum charge level and that is around 3.0V per cell. But only for short period and only if really necessary. Check out LiPo Fuel Table - and also refer to IATA rules for carriage of LiPo's on aircraft where they require you to discharge LiPo to lowest charge level.

Me > I store mine in open containers on the shelf near window where I can throw them outside if anything happens ... the chargers are there as well ... so all I have to do is pull power lead on charger and throw the whole kaboodle out the window on to open grass area.
I do not agree with using closed or vented containers ......
ALL LiPo sacks are a RETARDING containment - they are NOT Fireproof and LiPo will eventually burn through - BUT they give you time to act and throw to safe area.
Old 01-07-2021, 01:34 PM
RKTLaunch

I guess mine are going into the spare fire safe I have. I don't cool and heat my whole house, they'll be in my bdrm, bath or office.