Crash and Safety Forum Punch something in lately? Have safety suggestions? Tell the story, share safety tips, and show the pictures here.

Christmas Crash

Old 12-26-2008, 02:17 AM
R6_Infantry

Default Christmas Crash

Maiden'd 2 planes today, ABC flew like a champ, next up the cub knock off made by Union Model, I got it off craigslist for $30 NIB (15yr old ARF) with a 40Mhz Fut tx/rx no use to me here in the states however. ROG on the snow looking good so far, aaaannd stall burns in from 30ft, adjust wing and hand toss, make almost 1 lap and Wow where did that tree come from? velcro to the highest limbs and the tree is barely big enough to support itself in a strong wind, up I go anyway with my 5yr old son yelling "Dad you're such a good climber" it was about 40+ ft to the top but I got it, what was the worse that could happen I fall into 3ft of snow. All that happened was it broke the rudder off the fuse. All in all not a bad day. I know there must be some other noob that crashed on Christmas....right?
Old 12-26-2008, 03:17 PM
tipsy mcstaller

Default Mini F4 edf

Got a new mini F4 from Hobby-Lobby from my staff just prior to Christmas. Decided to try this new world of EDFs. I went out with my PZ Trojan to warm up - it was windy (~15 mph) with some gusts, but I though, this thing is going to be so fast, and with such little wing area, the wind shouldn't bother it right?

Had my brother-in-law hand launch, the plane got up on step very quickly. Banked left, and must have lost orientation. I think I was too hard on the bank, and ended up inverting the plane. Forgot all about "three mistakes high", and must have been around 15 feet off of terra firma. Needless to say it powered in - I think I tried to pull back to get altitude, but the plane was upside down, so it augered in.

Anyway - replacement parts totaling ~$100 with shipping are on their way. Hobby-Lobby gets a slightly merrier Christmas, and I'm wondering:

Does anyone have any advice on how to fly this little thing? I could sure use some pointers...
Old 12-26-2008, 04:28 PM
GreenAce92
RAWR!!! Lets fly...

Oooo ouch! dang sorry to hear both!
Old 12-26-2008, 07:00 PM
thomdoe

Merry christmas
Old 12-26-2008, 07:29 PM
cbatters
Super Contributor

Tipsy - Sorry to hear about your crash. Low rates on controls and less wind will increase probability of success.

Clint