Beginners New to e-power flying? Get the low down in here from experienced e-power RC pilots!

flaps mod on Conscendo

Old 10-11-2019, 05:30 PM
jangodog

Default flaps mod on Conscendo

Howdy. Is it possible to install flaps on Conscendo advanced and if, what section of the Ailerons should be cut off? Near the fugelage or near end of wingtips?
I have the Spektrum DX6.

Last edited by jangodog; 10-11-2019 at 05:46 PM.
Old 10-11-2019, 06:10 PM
quorneng
Super Contributor

jangodog
If you are going to fit separate flaps then they must be inboard of the ailerons for good aerodynamic reasons. Cut down the fuselage end of the aileron.
The Conscendo has quite big ailerons so you will have to cut then down a bit to give a reasonable size flap. Aim for the flap and aileron to be the same length. You will loose a bit of aileron authority though.
The Conscendo is not exactly a 'heavy weight' do you really need flaps?
Old 10-11-2019, 07:42 PM
jangodog

Well, the flaps is more for speed brake when landing. i did see a video on Youtube
whitch clearly shows that he made the split near to the fuselage. Not halv but more 1/3 of the aileron lenght.
Old 10-12-2019, 03:12 PM
quorneng
Super Contributor

jangodog
If its only a brake you want then what is shown in the video is quite adequate but note the small flap is taken to 60? degrees although a full 90 would be better at creating lots of drag - a true air brake.
My only comment on such a layout is that the turbulence it creates when fully applied could effect how well the elevator functions. An effect that was noted in the video although in my opinion wrongly attributed to the elevator linkage.
On full size gliders it is common for the air brakes to be positioned just far out along the wing so their turbulence does not effect the tail plane.
Old 10-12-2019, 04:22 PM
solentlife
Super Contributor

Have to side with Q ....

IMHO ... forget flaps ... they are intended to increase lift at slow speed ... not as brakes.

If you want to land at steeper angle and not keep floating on ... then spoilers are the answer ... and you only need a small angle up ... you can program ailerons if separate channels to both UP to create spoilerons .... my Edge 540 racer has this.

To create brakes .... then you only need small surface area and as Q says try to make so not to interfere with elevator or other control surfaces.

Look at military jets and the air-brakes .... see how small they are and where located...
Old 10-12-2019, 05:12 PM
jangodog

Well, good info guys. I can understand the optimal solution would be regular brakes mid wing like the real gliders. I'll reconsider the mod with flaps.

Thank's