Humor Have some funny jokes or stories? All is fair game except political, religious or too explicit.

Quads, Why do People like Them

Old 07-22-2018, 09:53 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Question Quads, Why do People like Them

IMHO, Flying a Quad is Like Watching Paint Drying on a Wall, Nothing to it No Real Flying Skills Involved, I think if a Person Cant Really Fly, Then They Buy a RC Quad or a RC Boat or RC Car LOL , OK OK Just Kidding, I Know there are a lot of Quad Fliers Here, Just Had to Tease you Quad Fliers a Little Take care and Have Fun, Chellie
Old 07-22-2018, 10:07 AM
Panther
Super Contributor

Talking

You mean helicopters don't you?
Old 07-22-2018, 10:21 AM
solentlife
Super Contributor

My Quads ...

I have a whole bunch of 'em ... I was for a while and they would get sent to me .. virtually all of them now stay in their boxes ... I occasionally check out the LiPo's !

The DJI is basically a camera platform and not much use for anything else. It is the most boring model I have. At least the cheaper quads need some skill to fly as they don't have the GPS etc. to 'hold your hand' ... but the DJI ? take off ... landing are about the only vaguely interesting bits to 'fly' ... rest is point and go.

I have to say that my P3P has just upset me ... the Controller (Quad boys do like to rename bits !!) has basically fallen apart ... the twin antenna's broke free yesterday and when I took case apart to repair ... the screw posts for the case shell all fell apart ..
The antenna are now hot glued in position and the case halves taped together. Looking for replacement .. just for the plastic empty shell will cost me over $80 ..... for a complete Controller ... near $200 !!

Nigel
Old 07-22-2018, 10:34 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Hi Nigel Nice to Hear from you Again, I just had to stir the pot a little again I am so Bad Take care and have fun, Chellie
Old 07-22-2018, 11:11 AM
Panther
Super Contributor

Here is a pic I took today of my messy Den. Well, there is 2 of my Quads in the pic..
Nigel, that would have been very disappointing. Hope you can sort it out OK.
And yes, Chellie is a bad girl. She needs sorting out.

Old 07-22-2018, 01:31 PM
solentlife
Super Contributor

Guys offered me a hardly used in good condition exact same version GL-300A controller for 125 UKP ... that's about $180 incl. shipping ... so I said yes ... being the same version - I can keep my old as spares as it still works ... but feels horrible as the case creaks / moves where its not screwed together.

Panther ... blimey your den looks very tidy ... that's no true modellers bench !

Nigel
Old 07-22-2018, 09:11 PM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by solentlife View Post
Guys offered me a hardly used in good condition exact same version GL-300A controller for 125 UKP ... that's about $180 incl. shipping ... so I said yes ... being the same version - I can keep my old as spares as it still works ... but feels horrible as the case creaks / moves where its not screwed together.

Panther ... blimey your den looks very tidy ... that's no true modellers bench !

Nigel

Thats great that you were able to Get another Controller Nigel Yea Panther, Your work bench is Way to Clean, Stop it, Mess it up a Little
Old 07-22-2018, 10:32 PM
Panther
Super Contributor

Oh dear, I won't turn the camera around and show you the rest of it....
Old 07-23-2018, 12:09 AM
dahawk
Super Contributor

The racing quads are a different story. Lots of skill involved going through obstacle courses. I have a couple of WiFi toy like folding pocket quads. Not much skill involved. But a conversation piece at a party. Better yet, live vid of the neighbor lady sunbathing by the pool. I’m bad !

Last edited by dahawk; 07-23-2018 at 01:08 AM.
Old 07-23-2018, 12:29 AM
birdDog
Charging....

FPV racing quads are a riot. Built light they have no autonomous functions. No flip this "switch to hover" stuff. No return to home. Many people don't even use the accelerometer. They just haul butt and can maneuver on a dime. Plus,PLUS!, you are onboard! I have an older set of goggles that you can remove the shroud from so it's basically just a TV. Occasionally I just leave it on the table as I fly, then I keep an eye on whos looking through it with my FPV cam. Even some of the old farts that are openly "anti quad" spend quite a bit of time viewing the feed. lol. Building is interesting with all the small solder joints and wiring schematics. Tuning is a whole nother beast. I enjoy it. It's a time sink, exactly what hobbies are for. Currently have six 5" models, two 3" models and a few smaller. Buzzing around the house or tearing around outside, programing or building, it's all fun.

4 2100kv to 2600kv motors running on whatever your 4 cell will put out, spinning 5x4.5 to 5x5.5 tri blade props really provides a response. Pretty danged exciting. 6s equipment is on the market, for a price. Those quads are insane!
Old 07-23-2018, 01:15 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by dahawk View Post
The racing quads are a different story. Lots of skill involved going through obstacle courses. I have a couple of WiFi toy like folding pocket quads. Not much skill involved. But a conversation piece at a party. Better yet, live vid of the neighbor lady sunbathing by the pool. Iím bad !

That sounds cool
Old 07-23-2018, 01:21 AM
Panther
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by dahawk View Post
The racing quads are a different story. Lots of skill involved going through obstacle courses. I have a couple of WiFi toy like folding pocket quads. Not much skill involved. But a conversation piece at a party. Better yet, live vid of the neighbor lady sunbathing by the pool. I’m bad !
She isn't 64 and lives in Hesperia by any chance?
Old 07-23-2018, 01:24 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by Panther View Post
She isn't 64 and lives in Hesperia by any chance?

Yes 64 but it takes someone 30 or less to be able to keep up with me
we need some videos of the Quads Racing