Beginners - Helis A forum where beginners can get help on the fundamentals for experts who know their stuff!

Buzz Fly 2.4G

Old 11-16-2008, 01:39 PM
Jaguar

Default Buzz Fly 2.4G

I can't find any mention in this forum of the BuzzFlyer Buzz Fly 2.4G

I'm a newbie so I'm not allowed to add a link in my first 3 posts

I've persuaded my wife to buy me a heli for Christmas, and I had pretty much settled on the Honey Bee FP.

The Buzz Fly looks cute, and is probably more suited to the size of my house for indoor flying.
It's not cheap, but looks more fun as a beginner's heli than a coaxial.
Does anyone have any experience of this little fella?

Thanks
Old 12-23-2008, 11:52 AM
ryder666
heli noob

just alittle personal experiance

dont go for something small and cute you wont beable to fly it as it is very unstably go for something larger as it will be easyer to fly

i got a walkera 4#3 and i killed the poor little thing in a week once i have learned to fly my 22e i'll resurect the little gnat

hope you have fun this christmas
Old 12-31-2008, 04:22 PM
MaxAdventure
AMA 198798

if you are just starting to explore what heli's are available. The masses usually come back with "I wish I'd just bought xxx in the first place", and those xxx are usually one of the CP 400 class helos like the Blade 400, trex 450, axe 400, and equivelant Walkera/trex clones.

They will take you mountains further,and last much longer. Really, you never out grown them, when you will out grow a FP or Coax. Those that love the FP and Coax usually have them as a 'rainy day' heli when they're not flying something bigger.

Although, it's also popular to use a coax for flight orientation training, they are good for that. The problem with the little 'cute' ones, as stated; they are quite quirky and unstable, so trying to learn, and having fun becomes very difficult.

Bigger IS more stable, and I nice CP helo can be tuned to fly softer for a beginner.
Old 01-05-2009, 05:11 PM
Jaguar

Originally Posted by ryder666 View Post
just alittle personal experiance

dont go for something small and cute you wont beable to fly it as it is very unstably go for something larger as it will be easyer to fly

i got a walkera 4#3 and i killed the poor little thing in a week once i have learned to fly my 22e i'll resurect the little gnat

hope you have fun this christmas
Good advice, sadly too late
A couple of minor breakages, then I crashed into the side of a building (outside on a calm day). The "chassis" has a vertical post which appears to hold the swash plate from revolving. This has snapped, requiring a new chassis. Not an expensive component, but it means I've got to dismantle the entire thing and reassemble it in the new chassis. I also managed to snap the tail boom. Not so bad to replace, but a delicate soldering job is needed to reconnect the tail motor wires.

The trouble with this little heli (Buzz Fly) is that it is so twitchy. The art seems to be to get it off the ground as quickly as possible. Any attempt to take off slowly causes it to scoot sideways on the ground until it flips over.
The scale speed seems so fast that as a beginner I can't react quickly enough.

Should I rebuild it and persevere, or would I be better learning with a bigger heli?
Old 01-05-2009, 08:08 PM
zirconx
RC Flyer

I think those tiny ones (like the Buzz Fly and the Walkera ) are definitely not beginner helis. I had a 4#3 and didn't find it to be overly twitchy, but it would be very hard for a beginner.

I love the Honey Bee FP, its durable and cheap. I know everyone says the even larger ones (Blade 400) are more stable, but I found the Honey Bee FP easier to fly than the Blade 400.

I would suggest your best course of action would be to purchase a simulator, then move on from there to a Honey Bee FP.

Helicopters are very hard - a simulator will save you a lot of greif.
Old 01-06-2009, 09:28 AM
Jaguar

I was originally going to go for the Honey Bee FP, but decided it would be too big as an indoor heli. By choosing the Buzz Fly (in the UK it's slightly more expensive than the Honey Bee!) it seems I am trying to run before I can walk.
I'll definitely try a simulator. I think I only need the cable for the Tx as the software is a free download from the BuzzFlyer site.
I'll wait for some warmer weather before I go for a Honey Bee. Meanwhile I'll get the magnifying glass out and try to rebuild the Buzz Fly.
Old 01-06-2009, 04:12 PM
zirconx
RC Flyer

You are right about the FP being too big for indoors, I praticed hovering indoors with mine, but thats it.

If you are after an indoor one, you might want to look at the coaxials such as the Blade MCX and the Blade CX2. I own them both and enjoy them. The MCX is much more durable though. You don't need sim time to fly these, so it would get you in the air right away.
Old 01-06-2009, 04:34 PM
Jaguar

Thanks Zircon
From a brief read about the Blade MCX it appears to have more control than I expected from a coaxial. Perhaps I was too hasty to dismiss coaxial!
I think I can use the same 2.4Tx as the Buzz Fly which will keep costs down.
Even if I can't, it will probably end up cheaper and more fun than to keep crashing!
Isn't it fun climbing the learning curve
Old 01-06-2009, 05:22 PM
zirconx
RC Flyer

Unfortunately uou won't be able to use your Buzz Fly TX with the MCX.

But the version of the MCX that comes with a transmitter is only $20-$30 US more than the version without.

Its a cheapie transmitter though, it looks and feels like a toy. I fly mine with a DX6i. You could also pick up a LP5DSM, the transmitter that comes with the CX2. They are around $60 new, I've seen them for $25-35 used.

So I would buy the MCX without a transmitter, then look for a used LP5DSM or DX6i to fly it with. The DX6i is a great transmitter and you can use it on other planes and helis later.
Old 01-06-2009, 05:32 PM
Jaguar

I'm in the UK and prices are roughly dollars=pounds but you're right, it's not a big outlay.

Out of curiosity, one website I'm looking at says:
"The fantastic Blade mCX micro-helicopter is also available in a “Bind-N-Fly” version (EFLH2280) that is compatible with any other Spektrum 2.4Ghz DSM2 transmitter enabling users to get in the indoor helicopter scene without breaking the bank!

All you need to do is bind your 2.4 Ghz DSM2 transmitter or 2.4 module equipped transmitter to the Blade mCX's pre-installed receiver, and you can be enjoying the fantastic performance of this superb helicopter in the time it takes to charge the flight battery."

The Buzz Fly is 2.4g, so is there more to it than there appears?
Old 01-06-2009, 05:38 PM
bassplayinDude

Yes, there is more. The important piece is "DSM2" compatibility. DSM2 is controlled by Horizon Hobby / Spektrum RC, so only companies they allow can be compatible with DSM2.
Old 01-08-2009, 09:50 PM
Jaguar

I now realise that "cute" is not the way to show off to friends with an indoor heli!
So the Buzz Fly will stay in its box (repaired when I get round to it) and it's time to rethink.
Bearing in mind our rubbish English weather, should I get a Honey Bee FP (my original choice) and be patient with some weather to fly outdoors, or should I try a Blade mCX and get orientation and flying experience indoors?
If I go for the Blade, one question: with regard to the Spektrum DSM2 controller, what does "Mode 1" and "Mode 2" mean?

Is it realistic to expect to learn to fly a heli indoors, even with an "indoor" heli?
The Buzz Fly has taught me to pay more attention to the advice on this forum, so I'm banking on you guys!
Old 01-09-2009, 06:46 PM
bassplayinDude

Mode 1 means throttle is controlled by the right stick on the Tx. Mode 2 means throttle is on the left stick.

As for flying indoors vs. outdoors, it depends on how much space you have inside.
Old 01-11-2009, 12:20 AM
Hedders

Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
Is it realistic to expect to learn to fly a heli indoors, even with an "indoor" heli?
I am heli noob myself. I have had a couple of 'llama' type heli's but they have been too big for my living room and i broke them , so i have just bought a Buzz fly CX today.

I have had sustained, controlled flights of 2-3 minutes, culminating with perfect coffee table landings, and i have had many 'accidents' but it keeps bouncing back!

As a noob, i would say get one!

Last edited by Hedders; 01-11-2009 at 01:10 AM.