Chelliegear- Custom made LG - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Scratch and Kit Built Aircraft Discuss and share your scratch built or kit built aircraft as well as building techniques, methods, mediums and resources.

Chelliegear- Custom made LG

Old 05-12-2013, 08:23 PM
dahawk
Super Contributor

Default Chelliegear- Custom made LG

Check out Chelliegear !
When I was building my GWS Formosa II kit, I quickly discovered that the supplied landing gear was ultra-cheap and would not work well on a grass field. I hate nose overs.
Our very own WF super contributor Chellie reached out with a solution. I now call it: “ Chelliegear” She actually can make custom LG for a variety of airplanes. Her work is superb quality and her prices are very reasonable.

For the Mosa as pictured here, she supplied the aluminum legs and two versions of the wood mounting blocks. One version for a 15 degree forward rake angle and the other for a 30 degree forward rake angle. I chose the 30 degree and it turned out to be a great solution for ROG.

The aluminum legs appeared to be chilled cast. They are lightweight yet very strong. Holding them in my hand they almost felt like magnesium. Clearly no weight penalty. She thought of everything. Holes are drilled along the entire length of the legs so that air can flow through. Without the holes, there would be an adverse blocking effect much like the Tacoma Narrows bridge disaster. The axle holes I requested were 2mm dia which I drilled out to support the 4/40 set screws she recommended I use for an axle. I supplied my own low bounce Dubro wheels.

Installation was a snap. I simply epoxied the wood blocks in the LG cavities and then screwed the LG in using wood screws. I can now ROG with confidence.

Chellie can make gear to suit any application. One piece, two piece. Just provide her with some dimensional details, AUW and pics of the plane. She can also recommend the proper wheels and hardware.

When I really like something, I become an evangelist. I highly recommend Chelliegear ! Interested? Just contact her.

-Hawk
Old 05-13-2013, 01:14 AM
Turner
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by dahawk View Post
...The aluminum legs appeared to be chilled cast...
Looks like common extruded aluminum bar stock.