FZ and ST Cessna's - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Scale E-Powered Aircraft Discuss electric powered scale models here.

FZ and ST Cessna's

Old 08-27-2009, 06:59 AM
kik
L337 Cr4sh3r

Default FZ and ST Cessna's

Some of this is a re-post as I would like some answers to my puzzling problem, some is replies to people with the FZ Skylane.

Firstly I own both the FZ Skylane and the ST Skylane, both are crap.
The FZ like most here will attest to is under powered and a waste of money,
mine would not fly right from the box, so I decided to expel the batteries of all power and recharge, I did this three times, no luck plane climbed a little under full power and full elevator then dropped like a stone.

I put it to one side and prepared my ST, the FZ was going to be my trainer for the more expensive ST, but as it didn't work I had no choice but to fly the more expensive junk then the cheaper junk

Now for the re-post.........but wait there's more, read on at the bottom for a rather humorous lesson in what not to do.

I recently purchased the ST Cessna 182 Skylane and my question is this, why is it when I turn off my transmitter all the control surfaces max out?, IE elevator full up, rudder full left ailerons full left bank.

This model has done this right out of the box, and a few days ago I had transmission failure and the model flipped upside down and dived, I had enough height the regain control and increased altitude to see if it doen it again, it did and the result was identical, so I decided to land it immediately and try and figure out this anomaly, slow approach into the wind (very mild breeze really) and again it happened this time obviously to close to the ground to recover, broken wings,snapped fuselage, broken prop and shaft broken nose gear............a right off so to speak.

Have I got a dud here or what?, here is a list of issues I have had with my ST since purchase.

1. Seized servo (ailerons) made for tricky banked landing, minor damage.
2. Broken servo horn mid flight. (ailerons again tricky landing).
3. Broken servo horn nose gear very wobbly landing .

Radio gear in my opinion is cheap crap, servos are rubbish, servo horns are
not high impact flexible plastic but rather brittle hard plastic that takes very
little to break them.

Nose wheel is a joke, as is the bulkhead battery placement is all wrong.

All pre flight checks were fine before my final flight, whether I had radio failure,
or even a bad cell in the transmitter the planes flight control systems should return
to pre flight trimmed settings.

Has anyone else had this problem.

Kind regards Terry.

Ok now for the lesson, as my ST was now dead I decided to put the cells
from the ST into the FZ as it was under powered, all pre flight checks completed I took off, and boy did it go, I had it doing loops so tight I could see the wings flexing, I was having a ball, I then did a flyby and noticed it smoking, first I thought I was imagining things but my dutiful daughter asked "is it supposed to smoke like that?".

So with that I turned the model back towards me and by this time it looked more like a nitro then electric, I landed in haste but it was too late fire ensued and engulfed the nose of the plane.

Do not use lipo batteries in a brushed motor, voltage was supposed to be 8.6 volt for the FZ and 11.1 for the ST.

Wish I had recorded it, would have made a great video :P
Old 09-01-2009, 06:30 AM
kik
L337 Cr4sh3r

Default Reply from manufacturers on faulty ST

This is the actual email sent by the vendor on behalf of ST models Australia.

"Hi Terry

Can you please send all the "bits" back to me at the address listed below. I will then post to the distributor who will assess the plane and then provide me with an answer as to the issues you have outlined and make an assessment on where to next.

They did say this however in response to your email:

The action of the aircraft when the tx is not on, is normal.

This model is not PCM or 2.4G so is not fitted with any internal fail safe.

If range is lost there is no pre set setting that any of the aicrafts controls will return to. Certainly has no auto landing feature.

For your information.

Once we receive all the plane back and pass it on, I will be in contact with you. Please make sure you send the failed servo as well….

Thanks

Regards

Michelle

Michelle Peterson Clark
Managing Director
Not Just Enterprises Pty Ltd

1/47 Quinn St
Preston, Victoria, 3072
Australia

(Ph): +61 3 9017 1004
(Fax): +61 3 94847454
(M): 0416 024566"
Old 09-01-2009, 06:32 AM
kik
L337 Cr4sh3r

Default My reply

BODY {font-family="Arial"} TT {font-family="Courier New"} BLOCKQUOTE.CITE {padding-left:0.5em; margin-left:0; margin-right:0; margin-top:0; margin-bottom:0; border-left:"solid 2";} SPAN.TABOOHEADER {display=none} "This model is not PCM or 2.4G so is not fitted with any internal fail safe."

Once TX is lost all flight controls should return to pre-flight trim, if this is the standard the manufacturers
state is normal
(ie "The action of the aircraft when the tx is not on, is normal") if this
is normal then they will deny warranty, in which case this e-mail will be posted on www.wattflyer.com and
all members will be made well aware of this ridiculous setup and warned to stay clear.

Also this is bad business for you as I will never purchase an ST model again, for Christ sake even the crappy
FZ has a "return to center" feature.

This is a bloody joke.

Do I have to pay for postage also?, I suppose I do, and I suppose if I want the pile of rubbish back I'll have to
pay return postage also?.

If this is the case I will do a blanket bombing of all e-flight web sites letting the unknown purchasers to stay clear
of ST models.

Send this to the bloody distributor.

Regards Terry.

At 06:39 PM 8/31/2009, you wrote:
Hi Terry

Can you please send all the "bits" back to me at the address listed below. I will then post to the distributor who will assess the plane and then provide me with an answer as to the issues you have outlined and make an assessment on where to next.

They did say this however in response to your email:

The action of the aircraft when the tx is not on, is normal.

This model is not PCM or 2.4G so is not fitted with any internal fail safe.

If range is lost there is no pre set setting that any of the aicrafts controls will return to. Certainly has no auto landing feature.

For your information.

Once we receive all the plane back and pass it on, I will be in contact with you. Please make sure you send the failed servo as well….

Thanks

Regards

Michelle

Michelle Peterson Clark
Managing Director
Not Just Enterprises Pty Ltd

1/47 Quinn St
Preston
, Victoria, 3072
Australia

(Ph): +61 3 9017 1004
(Fax): +61 3 94847454
(M): 0416 024566

-----Original Message-----
Sent: 29 August 2009 04:08
To: Michelle Peterson Clark
Subject: RE: ST

Thank you Michelle.

Glad you changed your font for the business it was hard to read

Terry.
At 05:45 PM 8/27/2009, you wrote:
>Hi Terry
>
>I have forwarded your email to the Australian distributor of the ST asking
>for their advice. I will be in contact with you as soon as I hear from them.
>They did not indicate to me how long it would take them to review the
>problems outlined in your email, so your continuing patience would be
>appreciated.
>
>Thanks
>
>Regards
>
>Michelle
>
>Michelle Peterson Clark
>Managing Director
>Not Just Enterprises Pty Ltd
>
>1/47 Quinn St
>Preston, Victoria, 3072
>Australia
>
>(Ph): +61 3 9017 1004
>(Fax): +61 3 94847454
>(M): 0416 024566
>
>
>-----Original Message-----
>From: Terry Halmshaw [mailto:[email protected]]
>Sent: 28 August 2009 05:30
>To: [email protected]
>Subject: ST
>
>Just making sure you got this.
>
>Dear Michelle:
>
>I have yet another serious problem with the ST, I will explain and
>you can advise
>me where to go from here.
>
>Ever since I bought the plane when I turned off the transmitter all
>flight controls
>would extend to their fullest capacity, IE the ailerons would bank
>fully left, the
>rudder would move fully left and the elevator would move to the full
>up position.
>
>As soon as I turned the transmitter back on all flight controls would return
>to
>their preflight trim settings.
>
>I had never come across this before, as models are designed to go
>into the trimmed
>setting should radio failure occur, this is so the plane can
>hopefully glide to the ground
>with minimal to no damage. I have known one lose transmission and
>land perfectly on
>a golf course some 2 kilometers away.
>
>My thoughts were that this is the standard to which this plane was
>built and provided
>I have no radio failure all will be well. (just another disappointing
>aspect of the purchase).
>
>This wasn't the case however, Friday last I was happily flying my
>field when the plane
>flipped and dived at the same time with no input from me, fortunately
>I was high enough
>to recover and increased height to about 150 feet, again it happened
>and again I regained
>control, my thoughts then were get the bugger down and try and save
>it, as I was landing,
>level flight quiet slow approach it did it again, flipped over went
>into an immediate dive and
>crashed, to be honest the plane is a shattered mess.
>
>I need you to contact the suppliers and find out why this particular
>plane behaves this poorly
>when transmission is lost, I'm not sure whether I have a faulty
>transmitter or a bad cell in the
>transmitter, but either way the plane should not behave in this
>manner once transmission is
>lost, as stated they are supposed to go into the "trimmed" setting
>and fly straight and level
>until either transmission is regained or the plane lands on its own accord.
>
>This purchase has become a thorn in my side, I have since ordered a
>new model from Banana
>hobby in the US, I wont deal with you if this is the poor standard of
>all your models, given the
>fact this is the only model I have purchased from you I either have a
>dud or it's the typical standard
>of the ST models pathetic performance in regards to reliability.
>
>Let me remind you of its past issues, faulty servo, crashed minor damage.
>Broken aileron horn, harsh landing damaged nose wheel cracked wing.
>
>Faulty transmission complete flight control failure, broken fuselage,
>broken wings, broken prop and
>prop shaft, shattered bulkhead, and a very angry and disappointed Terry.
>
>Regards.
>
>Terry Halmshaw.
>
>
Old 09-22-2009, 10:28 PM
greenthumb25

i think ive got the same problem. this thread was very helpful thanks a lot!
Old 09-22-2009, 10:32 PM
sam94

The ST Cessna looks awesome but I've heard its crap, I'm glad i didn't get it in the end.
Old 09-23-2009, 03:25 AM
kik
L337 Cr4sh3r

I ended up getting a full refund, Michelle (AU distributor) was very helpful.

I originally purchased the model off eBay, and it was supposed to come with a flight simulator valued at something like $300.00 plus a whole load of other stuff that would be pretty much useless, such as a tech support via email, you got 4 emails at a supposed value of $384.00, that's $96.00 per email, not a bad wicket huh?.

But then of course everything came apart at the seams, the guy I was dealing with (Chris) was not interested in helping me at all with support for his totally crap model, so what I done was this, now all please take note that what I did here (and have done many times before) is perfectly legal.

I re-advertised the model on eBay showing the slight damage (this was after the first minor crash from the seized servo) I listed where I bought it from and listed about the so called bonuses, the flight sim was FHS freeware, I took screen shots of his ad in case he decided to change it.

I also listed the emails I sent that I had no reply to, now Chris was warned what I would do, but again I got no reply, I listed the plane for the same price I paid for it to ensure it wouldn't sell and listed it for ten days, I then sent Chris another email stating the ad was listed and gave him the link.

Then the alarm bells started ringing, as did my phone, I had Michelle on the phone (lead distributor of ST here in AU) asking me exactly what I wanted to resolve the matter, I told her I wanted a new nose wheel a new servo and that I wanted Chris's fraudulent ad removed from ebay, and until that happened the ad will run it's course and that by the end of the 10 days the issue still isn't resolved I will re-list it and continue to do so until no one will purchase from them.

I had many hits from people who had the same terrible issues and listed those in the ad, after two days I had 26 questions listed in the ad.

Michelle called back and said she will now take care of me, I was reimbursed the so called bonuses, sent a new servo and nose wheel and she made Chris change the ad.

Then I had the TX problem and threatened to re-run the ad, money refunded in full.

If anyone wants to do this, and anyone can, you must use legal terms and DO NOT lie or exaggerate the problem, if you do it will be you in court for all the wrong reasons.

Always state the truth, keep all emails, never hand anything back until you are reimbursed. Let the truth prevail via the truth lying will get you into a whole lot of trouble, and remember to take screen shots of the ad should that ad be misleading or fraudulent.

kik
Old 09-23-2009, 03:56 AM
kik
L337 Cr4sh3r

I just sent this email to Amy at Banana Hobby, this should give you people a rough idea of how to conduct yourself in order to protect yourselves.

Amy:

Seems as you have not had the decency to answer my email's I find it necessary to give you
notice of my intentions to list the plane I bought from you on eBay, I will be listing the images
of the second hand parts that were installed in the model and paying particular details to the
fact that the model was listed "brand new" not refurbished or used.

Your company "Banana Hobby" will be very prominent throughout the advertisement, as will the
lack of an offer to partially reimburse me for the purchase of a "used" model instead of a brand
new model as was advertised and what I paid for.

You may seek legal advice in regards to this matter, but you will find it is my "common law right"
to seek compensation via this method, the benefit of going about this in the manner I am is that
with luck no one else will get burned by your cheap standards in the retail industry.

Replacing the secondhand parts is one thing, but selling an item as "brand new" when it is in fact
refurbished or second hand (depending on what angle you look at it) is another thing altogether.

The ad will be listed internationally so as the folks in the US will also be aware of your dealings.
The ad will be a 10 day listing and will continue to run until I am satisfied.

By law I have to state what justifies my satisfaction and that would be a percentage of my purchase
price reimbursed and the faulty parts replaced.

By law I also have to give you a response time before listing the advertisement, this will be 7 days
from receipt of this email.

This email is noted with a receipt for your convenience and my protection.

Sincerely Terry Halmshaw.
Old 09-23-2009, 03:59 AM
kik
L337 Cr4sh3r

I just sent this email to Amy at Banana Hobby, this should give you people a rough idea of how to conduct yourself in order to protect yourselves.

Amy:

Seems as you have not had the decency to answer my email's I find it necessary to give you
notice of my intentions to list the plane I bought from you on eBay, I will be listing the images
of the second hand parts that were installed in the model and paying particular details to the
fact that the model was listed "brand new" not refurbished or used.

Your company "Banana Hobby" will be very prominent throughout the advertisement, as will the
lack of an offer to partially reimburse me for the purchase of a "used" model instead of a brand
new model as was advertised and what I paid for.

You may seek legal advice in regards to this matter, but you will find it is my "common law right"
to seek compensation via this method, the benefit of going about this in the manner I am is that
with luck no one else will get burned by your cheap standards in the retail industry.

Replacing the secondhand parts is one thing, but selling an item as "brand new" when it is in fact
refurbished or second hand (depending on what angle you look at it) is another thing altogether.

The ad will be listed internationally so as the folks in the US will also be aware of your dealings.
The ad will be a 10 day listing and will continue to run until I am satisfied.

By law I have to state what justifies my satisfaction and that would be a percentage of my purchase
price reimbursed and the faulty parts replaced.

By law I also have to give you a response time before listing the advertisement, this will be 7 days
from receipt of this email.

This email is noted with a receipt for your convenience and my protection.

Sincerely Terry Halmshaw.
Old 09-23-2009, 04:01 AM
kik
L337 Cr4sh3r

No idea why it posted twice, sorry if it seems boring second time around
Old 10-14-2009, 12:24 PM
kik
L337 Cr4sh3r

I was bored on Friday so I decided it would be a good idea to get what little life was left out of both my FZ and my ST, so I cut the nose off my ST and glue gunned it to my FZ to allow for the out runner BL located the 3 lipo's in the correct CG and took to the air, oh boy what an interesting flight it made, the thing sent like a rocket, doing loops I could swear the wings were going to snap off, any harder and I'm sure they would have clapped hands.

Problem was as it turns out the motor mount on the ST was mounted upside down from the factory, which explains its horrible flight characteristics right out of the box, as a consequence I couldn't stop my FZ from climbing, even with the trim set to the max it still climbed, so I was forever pushing forward on the elevator to bring it down a bit, stunts galor tons and tons of grunt it was like a jet, but there was no way I was going to get it down in one peice the way it flew, or rather that's what I prefered to think at the time, so I hit full power and put it into a constant loop until it finally slammed into my gate that leads to the field, there was a big puff of foam the motor was still at full noise with half a prop chopping the plane up even more, I swaer my kids and I had tears rolling down our faces from laughter.

Best end to an FZ/ST ever I think. Good riddance!.