Should Start a thread on the Eflight DHC-2 Beaver..? - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Scale E-Powered Aircraft Discuss electric powered scale models here.

Should Start a thread on the Eflight DHC-2 Beaver..?

Old 01-25-2008, 01:38 PM
nascarwings

Default Should Start a thread on the Eflight DHC-2 Beaver..?

SPECIFICATIONS
68 in
Wingspan:
43 in
Length:
565 sq in
Wing Area:
4.9 - 6.2 lbs
Weight:
Power 25 or Power 32
Motor (required):
6 channel, 6 mini servos
Radio (required):
12x8E
Prop Size:

FEATURES
  • The firewall setup for outrunner motors gives you the choice between E-flite Power 25 and Power 32 motors
  • Factory-painted fiberglass cowling, dummy motor and landing gear covers offer quality and scale detail throughout
  • The optional floats (available separately) add another level of modeling enjoyment
  • The float mounts built into the fuselage allow the landing gear and floats to be changed quickly
  • The quality balsa and plywood airframe is sturdy and lightweight
  • Removable one-piece wing allows for easy transportation and storage
  • Genuine UltraCote® covering
The DHC-2 Beaver was designed by de Havilland of Canada for flight in remote wilderness areas of the world. The Beaver was designed to be exceptionally rugged and powerful. This single-engine monoplane could easily be retrofitted with wheels, skis, or floats. The short take-off and landing capabilities made it ideal to access areas that could normally only be reached by boat or foot. The Beaver entered into service in 1948 and quickly established itself by flying to the frozen, remote areas of Canada and Alaska. Despite the fact that production ceased in 1967, many of the DHC-2 Beavers are still flying today to access remote areas for fishermen or island-hopping tourists in the Caribbean.
The DHC-2 Beaver 25e ARF is part of E-flite’s PLATINUM SERIES. The platinum series delivers superior, enhanced features and meticulous attention to detail. E-flite’s Platinum Series is just one more way that E-flite brings you the most advanced electric flight experience.
The DHC-2 Beaver 25e ARF is part of E-flite’s PLATINUM SERIES. The platinum series delivers superior, enhanced features and meticulous attention to detail. E-flite’s Platinum Series is just one more way that E-flite brings you the most advanced electric flight experience.
The details of this PLATINUM SERIES scale model includes corrugated flight surfaces, concealed tail linkages, and scale dummy motor. The construction of the lightweight, sturdy airframe is balsa and plywood. The scale enthusiast will admire the scale color scheme, prepainted fiberglass cowl, and genuine UltraCote covering. In addition, the removable one-piece wing allows easy transportation. The DHC-2 Beaver is another exciting opportunity for pilots to experience civilian scale electric flight. Just like the versatility of the full-size DHC-2 Beaver, the E-flite model comes with float mounts built into the fuselage. For added fun, the pilot can quickly change the landing gear to the optional float set (EFLA500) for on water take-offs and landings. The large flap areas aid the characteristic short landings performed by the DHC-2. The DHC-2 gives the modeler options; it is outfitted with the new E-flite adjustable motor mount system which allows either the Power 25 or Power 32 brushless outrunner motors to be bolted directly onto the firewall. With the combination of the PLATINUM SERIES detail and the additional float kit, place the DHC-2 Beaver in a class of its own.

click image to enlarge
ADDITIONAL PHOTOS
Old 02-13-2008, 03:15 AM
navy atc

Thanks for starting this thread nascarwings. I'm sure more will be looking/chiming in, as soon as this baby hits the shelves. I've already ordered mine. Floats, power 32, etc. Usually I wait on new products but, I've been very happy with eflite.(My Taylorcraft is a blast, so what the heck. Out came the CC.) I am a bit concerned the floats they recommend are right on the edge of the recommended weight limits. Was kinda hoping some seaplane savvie gent would pitch in some sage advice on that question.
Countin the days till D-day.Thanks again 4 starting this.
Old 02-13-2008, 03:18 AM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

I really want to get one of these too!
Old 02-13-2008, 03:26 AM
navy atc

I've read you for some time now Fireman Bill.Always good advice.Thanks!
Whats your take on those floats being rated at 6lb and, weight w/floats
(not even counting +beefier than recommended lipo) coming is at 6.2.?

Ive never flown a seaplane this big or heavy before, so strong possibility for sloppy, ploppy landing with me on stick.
Old 02-13-2008, 03:39 AM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

Well I have been a fan, and customer, of eflight stuff for a while now. Cessna, Mini Funtana, Mini Edge, Super Airliner (x2) and 2 CX helis as well as a whole lot of motors and esc's

It has been my experience that these guys do their homework before they put a product out on the market. When it does go out, it is a good unit.

I'd say that this will be no exception. If they say it will work; it surely will.

and thanks for the kind words.
Old 02-13-2008, 03:55 AM
navy atc

Thanks Bill, that assurance certainly allays a lot of my concern. You are correct about eflites products, if this is but 1/2 as good as the Taylorcraft (and its looking that way) then this shall be one fine aircraft.
I once read a thread where a Gent from eflite, who was instrumental in the Taylorcraft, chimed in about the making of it. It'd be nice to hear from someone on the inside, as to what to expect.

I feel like that kid in The Christmas Story movie, waitin on his little orphan Annie decoder ring. Thanks again for the reassurance Bill.
Old 02-13-2008, 04:06 AM
Angler-Hi
Super Contributor

I actually have one of those on backorder. I'm using the gift certificate I got from Doc Holiday. I know he changed his name. It really appealed to me because it was a high-wing plane, good size and you get the floats for it for about $59.99. That's the closest thing I'm gonna get to a seaplane anytime soon. Good thread!

Mike
Old 02-13-2008, 04:07 AM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

That would be cool!

Off topic but a neat story...

My C-130 that I got from EAM a couple years ago has always been one of my favorite planes to fly and has quite a few hours on her now. Just like the real thing she just keeps on hauling the mail too!

Last year at SEFF I was cruising around checking all the planes and my son comes up to me and about jerks my arm off dragging me down the field to the most Gorgeous C-130 I have ever seen. Much better than mine by a factor of 100 at least. I get to talking to the guy who created this work of art and his name is Keith Sparks. I drool over his for a while and bashfully mention that I have one too albeit nowhere near as nice as his, He asked me if it was the GWS model and I say "No, I got it from EAM out of Dallas" He grinned real big and tells me he designed and cuts the kits for them!

I got to meet the creator of my C-130! How cool is that. Needless to say I picked his brain for a while (I'm sure he was ready to get rid of me so he could fly some more) and picked up some really good pointers from him. I have his book now on building with foam and am going to begin a rather large project in the very near future as soon as I can gather up enough motor(s) to make it possible.

Another one of the joys of attending SEFF...

OK sorry... back to the Beaver!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	C-130_-pilot.jpg
Views:	586
Size:	42.9 KB
ID:	55606  
Old 02-13-2008, 04:11 AM
Angler-Hi
Super Contributor

Nice bird Bill! Who makes that...not that I'm in the market or anything
Old 02-13-2008, 04:13 AM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

Thanks Mike, it comes from these guys

www.eam.net

my thread on it

http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6537
Old 02-13-2008, 04:24 AM
Angler-Hi
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by firemanbill View Post
Thanks Mike, it comes from these guys

www.eam.net

my thread on it

http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6537
Thanks Bill. Cool site! Well, I won't stray from the topic here, so thanks for the tip. You the man!
Old 02-13-2008, 12:41 PM
navy atc

Seeemd the same point I was going to Bill. Knowing the insiders viewpoints just adds that much more to the overall appreciation of the aircraft.

If this plane turns out like I think, I'll have to get a bumper sticker that says
I (heart) My Beaver!
(My wife will love me & my neighbors will think me a pervert)
Old 02-13-2008, 01:21 PM
FlyingMonkey
Flite Test Fan

Oh wow, you have to love E-Flite...

It just cries for floats. So much so, they shouldn't sell the kit without them.
Old 02-13-2008, 02:56 PM
nascarwings

Now all we have to do is find a battery to power this bird....mine is on order to....any thoughts guys on a battery?....looks like we are going to have to break the bank to fly this bird...
Old 02-13-2008, 05:55 PM
navy atc

Originally Posted by nascarwings View Post
Now all we have to do is find a battery to power this bird....mine is on order to....any thoughts guys on a battery?....looks like we are going to have to break the bank to fly this bird...
I'm gonna try & run 2 2100 in parallel. Looks like eflite is recommending a 14.8 volt 3300 if you are using floats. I hope and I've been told this will work fine.

I'm getting all my goodies from Atlanta Hobby. He's got a real good combo price and if you're an electron member, they cant be beat.
Good prices and great service. Dont mean to sound like a commercial , but hey, every little bit helps to buy the expensive batteries they recommend.
Old 02-13-2008, 06:20 PM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

Actually the website and catalog suggest a 3s 11.1 3200 Mah lipo with the power 25 motor.

Cliff and the crew at AH are the best.!
Old 02-13-2008, 07:13 PM
navy atc

Thumbs up

Actually the website and catalog suggest a 3s 11.1 3200 Mah lipo with the power 25 motor.

Cliff and the crew at AH are the best.!
Yeah, Cliff is a good man. His customer service is 2nd to none.

I noted the same battery recommendation as you Bill but, also saw somewhere, where if using floats and the recommended power32, they're recommending the 14.8. I'd have to hock the house to buy those puppies. So I'm hoping the parallel will do. Cliff thinks it will.

Wheres that eflite designer guy when you need em'?
Old 02-13-2008, 07:32 PM
nascarwings

I was thinking parallel too...was wondering if any one knows the size of the battery compartment..?..any thoughts on the Kong Power 3s1p 11.1v 2200mAh 25C Lipo Battery Combo ...that Ready heli...has on 120 bucks..?
Old 02-13-2008, 11:25 PM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

yes you'd almost have to do at least a 4s on the power 32. The 3s is on the power 25 setup. I've never flown off water but I can imagine you need a bit more power for takeoff.

How about these bad boys for batts?

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0022.JPG
Views:	419
Size:	90.0 KB
ID:	55667

Two 4s 4000's in series in my big 'ol Waco
Old 02-14-2008, 12:28 AM
nascarwings

Gee..looks like you could haul cargo in the battery comp..lol...how are the maxamps working out for you..?
Old 02-14-2008, 01:31 AM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

Originally Posted by nascarwings View Post
Gee..looks like you could haul cargo in the battery comp..lol...how are the maxamps working out for you..?
It is pretty big! 72" wingspan on this bird.

I absolutley LOVE MY MAXAMPS!!! Best batteries I own. hands down.
Old 02-14-2008, 02:01 AM
navy atc

It is pretty big! 72" wingspan on this bird.

I absolutley LOVE MY MAXAMPS!!! Best batteries I own. hands down.
Hey Bill, Can you recommend where those 4s 14.8 could be reasonably purchased?

Oh, I sent a query to eflite as to anticipated delivery date, and (see below) it appears to be later than I thought.(early March) uh uh

"Dale, thank you for the email. Late March is all we have on the
website. No solid date as of yet, and thanks for the compliment the
Taylorcraft is one of my favorites too." Eflite rep
Old 02-14-2008, 02:14 AM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

Originally Posted by navy atc View Post
Hey Bill, Can you recommend where those 4s 14.8 could be reasonably purchased?

Oh, I sent a query to eflite as to anticipated delivery date, and (see below) it appears to be later than I thought.(early March) uh uh

"Dale, thank you for the email. Late March is all we have on the
website. No solid date as of yet, and thanks for the compliment the
Taylorcraft is one of my favorites too." Eflite rep

I got mine direct from

www.maxamps.com

They are not cheap but you get what you pay for.

www.truerc.com

has some really good prices. I do not personally own any but may soon. I have seen them in action and they perform very well, they come highly recommended by another flyer that is a top notch kind of guy too.
Old 02-14-2008, 02:23 AM
navy atc

Thanks Bill. I check that out.
Reason I hadnt gone this big before was I didnt want to invest as much in a battery as I did a plane. Now look at me. Nearly peering out the windows looking for the ups guy as a junkie would a dealer.
I think I need RC rehab. Naaaah
Old 02-14-2008, 02:26 AM
Airhead
Redneck Member

I really like that Beaver too you guys. I'll be following this thread for sure. I don't think I will be getting one anytime soon though. Have some other stuff to take care of first.. I like the detail in the photos I've seen.

Bill, Your Waco is enormous... Nice job...

Quick Reply: Should Start a thread on the Eflight DHC-2 Beaver..?

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.10534 seconds with 12 queries