Yardbird Y-22 / ClearView Simulator - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Flight Simulators Discuss computer flight simulators here

Yardbird Y-22 / ClearView Simulator

Old 05-11-2011, 05:51 AM
donovan604

Default Yardbird Y-22 / ClearView Simulator

I am a Clearview flight simulator user and I fell in love with the flight characteristics of the yb-22 in that particular simulator. I loved it so much that I want to purchase the product and start my rc adventure, though when flying the same flyer in a different simulator, it is quite different. Could someone who owns a yb-22 please let me know if the flight characteristics are the same as in Clearview? Example: when you pitch the nose up full, the flyer instantly noses up and ALMOST HOVERS a second before taking off on the direction pitched. And if Clearview IS accurate, what is the set-up (esc, motor..etc.) Thank you.

Yes I am a noob, and I do not know the proper lingo. Please no insults or cracks. I'm just a dude who needs to find a good past time. Thank you
Old 05-11-2011, 05:54 AM
donovan604

Default Yardbird Y-22 / ClearView Simulator

Let me rephrase my question above:
What gear would I need to set up the YB-22 to act just the way it does in the Clearview simulator. What motor, propeller, and esc.
...sorry

Last edited by donovan604; 05-12-2011 at 12:17 AM. Reason: Bad grammar
Old 05-11-2011, 01:44 PM
ggunners

Check out the videos in the Yardbird site. They show the typical flight characteristics of the model setup as recommended.

You should know though, that every model build is a little different than every other model build. Total weight can be off, sometimes all surfaces are not square, the CG could be different, even variability in motors and batteries can make a difference.

The sim modeler is only able to make one version, it is up to each flyer to adjust the parameters to fly more like their own. On top of that, each sim has slightly different flight physics. So, take the sim versions with the variance that is due and look at as many flight videos of the airplane to get an idea how it could really fly.

Happy Flying! -- ggunners
Old 05-11-2011, 05:59 PM
donovan604

Ok, thank you ggunner. So basically I need to save for multiple motors, esc, and props and just do the trial and error thing. I have already registered and account with yardbirds website, and even went as far as emailing them for an answer, so far no response. What I want the plane to do is basically "drift", just like an off-road rc would do when turning at high speeds. In RealFlight I just cannot get the "drift" action going, even trying different motors, esc, battery, eleron degree, and prop configs. What am I doing wrong? How do I get the drift? If the yardbird acts as it does in Realflight, then I'm just going to look elsewhere. Any other information would be appreciated.

Thank you
Old 05-11-2011, 06:20 PM
ggunners

What you are describing is called a "high alpha" maneuver. Alpha is the angle of attack of the wing. To make this easier to do, you usually have to move the center of gravity (CG) back on the model a bit until it starts to misbehave and then move it forward enough to gain back some sanity.

With a real airplane and a modern transmitter you would also program in "exponential" and "dual rates" for the two types of flying, more straight and fast using low rates and more acrobatic using high rates.

I would start with the recommended setup for this airplane and yes, there will be trial and error, unless you have a friend with the same model that can help you build it and adjust it before they hand it over to you.

Good luck! -- ggunners
Old 05-11-2011, 06:22 PM
donovan604

Ggunners, I found the youtube vids from the site. The f-15 model does the super g loop just like I was trying to explain. And the gentle high alpha wing stall is the hovering that I love. Would the f-22 act the same?

Thank you for pointing out those vids.
Old 05-11-2011, 06:25 PM
donovan604

Thank you very much for your time and info ggunners. YOU WERE ACTUALLY THE PERFECT CANDIDATE FOR MY QUESTION! lol.. you made the model that I freakin' have so much fun with everyday on the simulator. (Just found that out) That is way too cool for my simpleton kind of lifestyle. haha. Thanks so much Mr G. I hope that I can build a yb-22 to resemble your models characteristics.

Last edited by donovan604; 05-11-2011 at 11:20 PM.
Old 05-12-2011, 01:31 AM
tampaflyer
to the skies of tampa

i use to make shirts for him.. and he sent me planes also.. you use his set up and they fly just like that.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62KCmLXy9mE[/media]
Old 05-12-2011, 03:32 PM
donovan604

Tampaflyer, could you please check my vid, to see exactly what it is that I'm talking about? I have a new post with the link.

I apologize if I'm not explaining myself well. I don't want to piss anyone off here, just have a legitimate question, and very curious as to the answers.
Old 05-12-2011, 03:45 PM
Bub Steve
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by donovan604 View Post
Tampaflyer, could you please check my vid, to see exactly what it is that I'm talking about? I have a new post with the link.

I apologize if I'm not explaining myself well. I don't want to piss anyone off here, just have a legitimate question, and very curious as to the answers.
the only dumb ? is the one you Don't ask!!!your bubsteve
Old 05-12-2011, 03:48 PM
Bub Steve
Super Contributor

heres the plane that'll do the do for ya!! bubsteve

larger image Profile Mini-22

$29.99

Nico Hobbies Profile Mini-22

Wing Span: 18"

Length: 25.25"

Flying Weight: 4oz to 7oz

Requirements: Brushless motor comparable to our 1806 2500kv motor, light esc to match motor, propeller, two 5 gram servos, 500-800mah 3 cell LiPo battery, light weight receiver and computer radio with delta wing or Elevon setting. Quick setting epoxy, foam safe contact cement or CA glue with accelerator, and hinge tape are recommended for plane construction.

Includes: Foam parts, carbon fiber spar, ply motor mount, ply control horns, 2 lengths of control wire (music wire), and 2 EZ Control Rod clevises.

CLICK HERE to download the full color construction manual.

CLICK HERE to check out the build thread with pictures and information about this plane

Add to Cart:

• Model: Mini22kit
  • Shipping Weight: 1.25lbs
  • 2 Units in Stock
Old 05-12-2011, 04:06 PM
crxmanpat
Community Moderator

Thanks for the props Steve!

I actually saw the other thread before seeing this one. If you decide to go with the 6mmFlyRC kit I posted on the other thread, I have all the info for the perfect power combo. And if you decide on one of my minis, I sell the full power package for it as well.
Old 05-12-2011, 04:13 PM
tampaflyer
to the skies of tampa

well if your going to push product now...

just go to parkjets.com and download plans for FREE . all kinds of planes like those.
Old 05-12-2011, 05:18 PM
donovan604

Default Thank you

At work right now, but I see that I have mucho info to sort through when I get home. THANK YOU ALL SOOO MUCH!!
Old 05-12-2011, 08:52 PM
Bub Steve
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by tampaflyer View Post
well if your going to push product now...

just go to parkjets.com and download plans for FREE . all kinds of planes like those.
True enough but gett'in the plans printed and go'in to buy blue-board or whatever you can get then to the Hobby shop for rods, horns, clevises, motor mount, carbon fiber,Etc, 29.99 is sound'in real good to me, I've seen Pat fly this plane and it's an astounding flyer, (and he's a great guy as well), bubsteve
Old 05-12-2011, 08:55 PM
donovan604

Stevecooper.. I think your right! I think that the MINI f-22 from crxman is the perfect plane for these characteristics. (haha. I couldn't wait to get out of work) thought I'd sneak this in. This stuff can be pretty exciting you know. lol
Old 05-12-2011, 10:50 PM
crxmanpat
Community Moderator

First off, let me say that I'm not here simply to "push product". Yes, I own Nico Hobbies and sell a competitive product to the YB-22. But the YB-22 is a great flyer in its own right, and I would not presume to talk it down regarding its flight characteristics. Set up properly it will do exactly what Donovan wants.

All of the planes that I have posted links to have free plans available at various places such as here, Parkjets.com, rc.tomhe.net and RCGroups just to name a few. In fact I have threads of the mini F-22 both at RCG and here, and have happily shared the PDF plans for free for anyone that wanted to cut their own.

With that said, I would say to Donovan to look at all the options, and decide what you think would suit you best. You actually have 3 good choices: my mini at an 18" wingspan, the YB-22 at 24", and the tomhe F-22 at 28" (and Yardbird also has a 16" mini version as well). All of them will perform pretty much the same in the hands of an experienced flyer.

Let us know what you decide to do, and we're here to offer you tips and advice no matter which plane you go with.
Old 05-13-2011, 04:00 AM
tampaflyer
to the skies of tampa

that what i thought this thread was about.

helping him with that plane not trying to recommend others.

any of these designs are excellent flyers
Old 05-13-2011, 05:09 AM
donovan604

umm.. ..lol. Well, the yb-22 was the only plane that I thought even existed in that class, before this post. Now I know that there are so many other options available and one really has to admire that he has options. I've searched youtube thoroughly for the yb-22 for a performance that resembled what I was looking for, but to no avail, because "YB-22" was my only known search word for the topic.
The vids and planes in these posts were exactly what I needed this whole time PLUS now I'm even more so inspired to build one from scratch as well. And now I know the resources that I will go to start my work. I think that I might be delving into this new hobby deeper than anticipated.
I'm new to the whole Forum thing, but I needed to post, and you ALL went well out of your way to give me very useful advice.
I feel like I can engineer for NASA.. haha, well, maybe not that extreme, but I've learned more in this post than hours of research on the interweb and experimentation with flight sims, even though those are both great tools too. I guess I did'nt really know how to ask the right questions. I believe I have all the answers I was looking for now, so I'd better get cracking on how I'm going to approach my model. I'll let you all know how it goes! Again, thank you all!! I'm stoked about this.

D
xXx
Old 05-13-2011, 05:21 AM
crxmanpat
Community Moderator

OK, so if you do decide to build one from plans, go ahead and do it the right way first. Get some good quality 6mm and/or 3mm depron (white is best), and cut it with new sharp blades. For the bigger planes, it usually takes me two Xacto blades to cut one out. The minis take only one blade.

Let us know if you have any questions. And happy building!
Old 05-16-2011, 05:25 AM
donovan604

Question

Originally Posted by crxmanpat View Post
OK, so if you do decide to build one from plans, go ahead and do it the right way first. Get some good quality 6mm and/or 3mm depron (white is best), and cut it with new sharp blades. For the bigger planes, it usually takes me two Xacto blades to cut one out. The minis take only one blade.

Let us know if you have any questions. And happy building!

crxmanpat, how could I go about sending you an email or private message? I've tried both through this site and it didn't seem to go through. Basically I submitted the message and it just refreshed the page with no confirmation. And I still show 0 messages sent in my stats.

Thanks
Old 05-16-2011, 05:36 AM
crxmanpat
Community Moderator

I did get a PM from you and replied. Let me know if you did not get it. Or email me at [email protected].