Electric Ducted Fan Jets Discuss electric ducted fan jets here including setup tips, power systems, flying techniques, etc.

About Lipo Chargers

Old 11-14-2020, 03:17 AM
Suprawill1

Default About Lipo Chargers

Hi All,
As far as discharging, I realize most chargers won't apply much current to discharge a lipo. In fact, when I'm discharging a 3200mah 6S, it will only go to 0.8 amps. My question is then, when I discharge a 2200mah 2S, why does it go up to 2.2 amps?

Will
Old 11-14-2020, 11:49 AM
solentlife
Super Contributor

Its all about WATTS ....... or as most chargers do - create heat via resistors to 'burn' off that energy.

Very few chargers have setup where the energy can be passed to another lower receiver as in regenerative.

Think about your 6S pack at 0.8A .... lets say you start at 4V per cell ... that's 24 x 0.8 = 19.2 W

Now take your 2S pack at 2.2A .... 8 x 2.2 = 17.6 W

If your 6S was to hit 2.2A ... that would be 24 x 2.2 - 52.8 W ...

Check your manual for total max W discharge ... very few can handle significant amps ..... watts ......

Last edited by solentlife; 11-14-2020 at 07:50 PM.
Old 11-14-2020, 07:32 PM
Suprawill1

Thanks for your post. I was advised that my charger has a 20 watt capacity for discharge. 6S would eat that up 3x as quickly as 2S would. It makes sense now.
You were more explanatory.
Old 11-14-2020, 07:52 PM
solentlife
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by Suprawill1 View Post
Thanks for your post. I was advised that my charger has a 20 watt capacity for discharge. 6S would eat that up 3x as quickly as 2S would. It makes sense now.
You were more explanatory.
I corrected my post - I mistakenly said 3S .....

20W is about usual for many chargers .... and you also will find you may never hit 20W due to losses in cables etc. So the 19W in the calc's is actually about best you can expect.
Old 11-14-2020, 08:59 PM
Suprawill1

Originally Posted by solentlife View Post
I corrected my post - I mistakenly said 3S .....

20W is about usual for many chargers .... and you also will find you may never hit 20W due to losses in cables etc. So the 19W in the calc's is actually about best you can expect.
I saw an option for "regenerative" while scrolling through the settings. Is that what you spoke of earlier concerning slaving an additional power soak?
Old 11-14-2020, 09:52 PM
solentlife
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by Suprawill1 View Post
I saw an option for "regenerative" while scrolling through the settings. Is that what you spoke of earlier concerning slaving an additional power soak?
I may have used wrong term ... but I think thats the one.

Some chargers allow you to connect another battery to bleed of the excess charge to. In fact I have a discharger for my DJI batterys that recharges mobile phones / tablets etc - anything that takes 5V USB style rates.

Most are still limited ampage though .....

I think you'll have to read carefully your manual ................. What charger is it ??
Old 11-14-2020, 11:08 PM
Suprawill1

I may have used wrong term ... but I think thats the one.

Some chargers allow you to connect another battery to bleed of the excess charge to. In fact I have a discharger for my DJI batterys that recharges mobile phones / tablets etc - anything that takes 5V USB style rates.

Most are still limited ampage though .....

I think you'll have to read carefully your manual ................. What charger is it ??
Turnigy Reaktor 300W 20A

and

Detrum Supermate DC6
Old 11-15-2020, 02:13 PM
solentlife
Super Contributor

OK ... Reaktor : as per manual .... yes the Regenerative means you can put up to 300W from discharging battery into the battery providing the chargers power .... that is if you are powering from a 12V car battery etc. Of course you cannot direct that to a mains adaptor power supply !

Old 11-15-2020, 08:31 PM
Suprawill1

OK ... Reaktor : as per manual .... yes the Regenerative means you can put up to 300W from discharging battery into the battery providing the chargers power .... that is if you are powering from a 12V car battery etc. Of course you cannot direct that to a mains adaptor power supply !
Oh, ok. Good to know. Thanks for this info!