Power Systems Talk about motors, ESC speed controllers, gear drives, propellers, power system simulators and all power system related topics

"Twin ESC's--Cutting Red Wire?"

Old 01-01-2009, 03:13 AM
Brner
AMA16634

Question "Twin ESC's--Cutting Red Wire?"

Ok ...I've read where you "must" cut the power (Red) wire on one of the ESC's in a twin setup...also read where it isn't necessary. Need some knowledgeable input on this. TIA,

Don
Old 01-01-2009, 03:38 AM
Bub Steve
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by DEG View Post
Ok ...I've read where you "must" cut the power (Red) wire on one of the ESC's in a twin setup...also read where it isn't necessary. Need some knowledgeable input on this. TIA,

Don
Yes yes yes, you must as they will trip each other up :
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	petty an red 8800.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	272.9 KB
ID:	88652   Click image for larger version

Name:	petty an red 760.jpg
Views:	259
Size:	221.5 KB
ID:	88653   Click image for larger version

Name:	petty an red 539.jpg
Views:	264
Size:	220.7 KB
ID:	88654   Click image for larger version

Name:	petty an red 341.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	232.7 KB
ID:	88655   Click image for larger version

Name:	petty an red 357.jpg
Views:	235
Size:	248.6 KB
ID:	88656  

Click image for larger version

Name:	petty an red 770.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	43.6 KB
ID:	88657   Click image for larger version

Name:	petty an red 499.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	206.9 KB
ID:	88658  
Old 01-01-2009, 03:46 AM
rcers
Super Contributor

NEVER NEVER NEVER do it.....

Manufactures say OK but the Electrical Engineers I know say now way. Disable both and use a BEC.

$20-30 bucks of cheap insurance...

Mike
Old 01-01-2009, 03:49 AM
Bill G
Super Contrubutor

I you do run on one, remove the connector pin from the S-connector and insulate it. No need to hack it.
Old 01-01-2009, 03:58 AM
Bub Steve
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by rcers View Post
NEVER NEVER NEVER do it.....

Manufactures say OK but the Electrical Engineers I know say now way. Disable both and use a BEC.

$20-30 bucks of cheap insurance...

Mike
I've lost a twin not do'in it then almost lost another the same way (Forgot to cut it) and in 100's of flights sence NO PROB'S! If your use'in less than 3or4 mini servos you don't need a UBCE, but at 12.99 for a good one at Heads Up RC you'll never worry anyway, I rigged a harrness to use one on differant planes ( two of my twins have six servos) but for the others I just cut one and forget itbub, steve

Name:	petty an red 809.jpg
Views:	270
Size:	119.6 KB
ID:	88668   Click image for larger version

Name:	petty an red 810.jpg
Views:	309
Size:	125.4 KB
ID:	88669   Click image for larger version

Name:	petty an red 717.jpg
Views:	285
Size:	183.8 KB
ID:	88670  
Old 01-01-2009, 06:30 AM
Wrench66
Ya' need to use mo rudda!

Default Strange differences

Well........I can say that my one and only twin engine plane has both of it's Turnigy 10a ESC's in tact....no wires cut
Could it be a mfg thing? I know Castle's ESCs will run together and it seems my Turnigy's are cooperating......hmmmm.

--Ray
Old 01-01-2009, 06:45 AM
Bub Steve
Super Contributor

Ray: you and Mike are on to something here, Could it be a mfg thing? Which ESCs will run together, Mine didn't work together Two E-Flight 20's and two tower-pro 25's, but there common theme seem's to lean toward UBEC's , Those Castle's are the best out there but I only have one unfortunately! I've heard they've (Castle's)got esc's that will run two outie's! bub, steve
Old 01-01-2009, 07:10 AM
Dr Kiwi
Super Contributor

Apparently CC ESC's don't need the red wire cut (though you do need two ESCs for two motors). For other makes, it would be wise to disable the power lead from one of the ESCs - the easy way around this is to use a short (3") servo connector with its red wire severed between one of your ESCs and the Rx - leave the other one alone. Then both your ESCs are fully functional for future projects.
Old 01-01-2009, 07:14 AM
Brner
AMA16634

OK...so either cut one or cut both and use an external UBEC. Rather than cut one, how about a short servo ext on one of the ESC/s with the red being cut in that, this would retain the original ESC for another use if wanted. Unless this old brain is failing more than I think it is, electrically that'd do the job...wouldn't it?

Another question.....this is the first brushless I've set up....what's with the bells that go off on startup? Directions with these was non-exsistent....if fact the only schematic showed a brushed, single ESC setup....lol....lot of good that did me.

Although I did as suggested in other posts on here (switched two of the wires going to the motor) to obtain the correct rotation, don't understand why changing any of the two works. None of the three are marked so just had to plug them in and do a test.

Still absorbing this stuff, so any help is greatly appreciated.

Don
Old 01-01-2009, 07:15 AM
Brner
AMA16634

oooops.....Dr Kiwi beat me to it...lol You posted what I was thinking while I was typing it Dr.....thanks, that answers that one.

Don
Old 01-01-2009, 09:39 AM
Wrench66
Ya' need to use mo rudda!

I have heard of some folks being able to run a pair of outrunners on one esc......doesn't seem the norm though as way too many others have written about either one motor not starting or even the ESC just seemingly getting confused and flat refusing to work at all. To make clear, if there was any confusion, my particular set up is equipped with a pair of Turnigy 2205/50 brushless motors, 2 Turnigy Plush 10A escs, a y-harness tying the two esc's into the RX's ch3 port, a y-harness to tie both escs into one Zippy 1000mah 3s battery.
I read the same thing Steve.....those Castle's may be the only ones to run both on one esc. Seems things were a bit easier when the brushed stuff was still in style.....coulda ran 4 j250's on one 20a esc!

Happy New Year everyone!

--Ray
Old 01-01-2009, 03:18 PM
rcers
Super Contributor

Don trust me. Just use a BEC.

Castle indicates it can be done - and yes I have done that with the settings they recommended. After watching a very expensive twin go in - BEC failure - I just think that a $20 BEC is the way to go. I have seen others we now think were related to BEC failures.

Just because it "seams" to work, does not mean it will continue too. I had a really smart EE type guy explain it to me. Moral of the story was he said BEC's are just not designed for parallel use - regardless of it working for a time.....

Twins are expensive investments - are they not worth an additional $20 for a good BEC? If not that - are they worth $10 for a cheap one?

Simple but we all make our own choices!

Mike
Old 01-02-2009, 01:39 AM
Brner
AMA16634

OK...here's what I've found out so far, that's if I'm understanding all this correctly. The ESC's are Thunderbird 18's...BEC rating of 2 amps. I removed the red wire from a servo extension and inserted it into the line of one of the ESC's. There are three servos but only two are used in flight (Aileron and elevator and the other one is only for nose wheel steering....there is no rudder control) If I understand this right, the BEC in the one ESC should be adequate to handle this.

I also found a PDF file (User Manual) for the ESC's and that fully explained the programming beeps I was hearing....lol....told you guys, this is all new to me.

One thing I found disturbing was the flying weight called out by the manufacturer....it's listed as 470 grams. Just out of curiosity (you know, the thing that killed the cat) I weighed all the components that came with the kit after unpacking everything....no glue allowance, no battery allowance, but the receiver and servo's were included...589 grams....now how the heck are you supposed to assemble a unit like this and lose over 100 grams in the process?? And the 3S lipo is gonna add another 159 grams to the AUW. Guess the Chinese use a different scale than I do...lol

Anyway...gonna do the programming on the ESC's and hopefully maiden this thing tomorrow, weather permitting......in Sunny Calif so that shouldn't be a problem...

If I'm off base with any of this please feel free to comment....need all the education I can get here.

Hope all are having a great New Year....TIA

Don
Old 01-06-2009, 07:44 PM
Bill G
Super Contrubutor

Originally Posted by DEG View Post
OK...here's what I've found out so far, that's if I'm understanding all this correctly. The ESC's are Thunderbird 18's...BEC rating of 2 amps. I removed the red wire from a servo extension and inserted it into the line of one of the ESC's. There are three servos but only two are used in flight (Aileron and elevator and the other one is only for nose wheel steering....there is no rudder control) If I understand this right, the BEC in the one ESC should be adequate to handle this.

I also found a PDF file (User Manual) for the ESC's and that fully explained the programming beeps I was hearing....lol....told you guys, this is all new to me.

One thing I found disturbing was the flying weight called out by the manufacturer....it's listed as 470 grams. Just out of curiosity (you know, the thing that killed the cat) I weighed all the components that came with the kit after unpacking everything....no glue allowance, no battery allowance, but the receiver and servo's were included...589 grams....now how the heck are you supposed to assemble a unit like this and lose over 100 grams in the process?? And the 3S lipo is gonna add another 159 grams to the AUW. Guess the Chinese use a different scale than I do...lol

Anyway...gonna do the programming on the ESC's and hopefully maiden this thing tomorrow, weather permitting......in Sunny Calif so that shouldn't be a problem...

If I'm off base with any of this please feel free to comment....need all the education I can get here.

Hope all are having a great New Year....TIA

Don
Finally caught this one. Yeah it is pretty funny how the AUW doesn't even allow everything they put in the box, let alone any needed gear. I've never seen advertised weights that were totally honest. I think Eflite's were about as close as it gets, although you still end up a bit heaver with their EXACT gear.
Old 04-04-2009, 10:44 PM
Larry Dudeck

My TBJ has 50+ flights on it. It uses twin Tsunami 36 amp ESC's, all the wires are intact.

Fans are MF480's, HET3W motors and one 4sx3300 TP LiPo.

All play together nicely.

Name:	TBImkIV 002.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	145.0 KB
ID:	98100  
Old 04-05-2009, 07:41 PM
PerlAddict
Community Moderator

Don't ever cut the red wire. As others have said, either take a small file (like the one in a pair of fingernail clippers) or a flathead and push the pin down in the connector, then pull out the red wire from it and wrap it in electrical tape. Or put an extension on the end of it first and cut the red wire in the extension, leaving the ESC wire intact in case you ever want to use it again.

When I started this hobby, I was told Linear BEC's could run in parallel, Switching BEC's could not. I know Don ran his Executive Jet at one point on two Turnigy ESC's with linear BEC's in them and didn't cut/remove either red wire.

I don't know under what circumstances that does/doesn't hold true, as I have yet to build and maiden any of my twins.