Company Discussions Discuss your company experiences here.

Robbed by United Hobbies/Hobby City

Old 03-15-2008, 01:50 AM
SaltySeaDawg

Default Robbed by United Hobbies/Hobby City

I ordered 3 Li-Po battieries back in September. As of today (3/14/8) no batteries and no refund despite many, many requests. Customer service rarely answers my E-Mails. When they do it is excuses or empty promises.
Here's the highlights...

9/26/7 Ordered (3) Loong Max 800mah 3S Li-Pos.
9.27/7 Confirmation and credit card charged.
11/15/7 Notice from United Hobbies that my address is no good and
parcel was returned.

(checked the address they provided and it was; in fact, correct)

11/16/7 Informed Maggie at UH that address was correct and she repied
that they would re-send the package.
12/20/7 E-Mailed for package status. NO REPLY!
1/3/8 E-Mailed for package status. NO REPLY!
1/10/8 E-Mailed for package status. NO REPLY!
1/31/8 E-Mailed and asked for refund. NO REPLY!
3/3/8 E-Mailed and asked for refund.
3/3/8 Recieve reply saying that the shipping snafu is the shippers fault
not thier problem. They will try to get me a partial refund.
3/14/8 STILL WAITING

I'll update this post if anything changes. Right now I'm thorougly disgusted with United Hobbies. I'll pay a little more for quality batteries and good customer service in the future. LESSON LEARNED!

Dave
Old 03-15-2008, 01:53 AM
gfdengine204
Super Contributor

Dave,

How did you pay? If you used PayPal, you may have recourse available to you.
Old 03-15-2008, 03:02 AM
aviatordave
Super Contributor

I wish peoples first posts were more constructive...ah well.

Why a partial refund? You never recieved anything - shouldnt it be a full refund?
Old 03-15-2008, 03:17 AM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

Yes it is a shame you have to introduce yourself this way...

This is another reason why I like to use reputable companies that are at least in our own country. I just don't see saving a few pennies here and there worth it when there are so many good reputable dealers that have impeccable customer service.

I hope your situation gets resolved but I would not hold my breath.

Lesson learned I hope.
Old 03-15-2008, 04:02 AM
Murocflyer
WAA-08 Pilot #1

That is a shame. I've seen it so many times before and people keep going back for more. The problem is you get a few guys who swear by them and because they saved a few pennies it continues the cycle.

Sorry to hear of your troubles. I hope it works out.

May I suggest a few RC companies that you will never have any troubles with. And if you do, they are only a phone call away.

http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17645

Frank

Last edited by Murocflyer; 10-29-2013 at 06:08 AM.
Old 03-15-2008, 04:09 AM
gfdengine204
Super Contributor

It's too bad, too, because those who have ordered there with no problem try to defend a company they have never had a problem with. Some buy there and have no negative issues, some buy there and have a problem.

Hopefully you can get this resolved. And hopefully, it's not a troll post, being's that it IS your first and (to date) only post.
Old 03-15-2008, 04:44 AM
aviatordave
Super Contributor

parcel was returned.
Why almost 2 months here and no communication? 3s 800mah lipos are a dime a dozen (as far as supply goes ).

2 months wait for lipos is alot of flying time down the drain....
Old 03-15-2008, 06:14 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by SaltySeaDawg View Post
I ordered 3 Li-Po battieries back in September. As of today (3/14/8) no batteries and no refund despite many, many requests. Customer service rarely answers my E-Mails. When they do it is excuses or empty promises.
Here's the highlights...

parcel was returned.

(checked the address they provided and it was; in fact, correct)

11/16/7 Informed Maggie at UH that address was correct and she repied
that they would re-send the package.
12/20/7 E-Mailed for package status. NO REPLY!
1/3/8 E-Mailed for package status. NO REPLY!
1/10/8 E-Mailed for package status. NO REPLY!
1/31/8 E-Mailed and asked for refund. NO REPLY!
3/14/8 STILL WAITING

I'll update this post if anything changes. Right now I'm thorougly disgusted with United Hobbies. I'll pay a little more for quality batteries and good customer service in the future. LESSON LEARNED!

Dave
Things like that sometimes Happen, Thats Why you ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS, Want to use PayPal, I have been trying to Educate the Masses on how Important it is to use PayPal when buying overseas, That May Be The Biggest LESSON LEARNED Use PayPal, so things Like this dont happen to you, You Will get your money back if something goes wrong, and It sometimes does, It does not matter if your buying from overseas too, use Paypal All the Time, You will get your money back if there is a Problem, and PayPal is free or sometimes there may be a small charge, and Secure, you dont give your information out to no one, Take care, Chellie
Old 03-15-2008, 08:48 AM
Ed Emmons
Ed

SaltySeaDawg,

I'm not one to kick a guy when he is down, but your part of the problem. As soon as you started to get the run around from United Hobbies you should have done the following: (where is UH located)

1 call your credit card company and tell them that there is a dispute with UH. You have not received material that you ordered.

2. Immediately send a conformation letter to credit card commpany confirming your call and detailing problrms. Ask credit card company to credit your account. Make sure you record the full name of the person you talked to, the time of the call and the date.

3. Send a copy of your letter to UH. This puts them on notice that you are taking acttion. Follow up your letter to UH with a letter cancelling the order. Send a copy of the cancellation letter to credit card company with a cover letter requesting yoiur account be credited with the full amount of the original charge.

4. It's unfortunate that this situation has dragged on for 4 months. But, it's not to late to get the credit card company involved. The credit card companies are open 24/7. Call them tonight and get the ball rolling.

Good luck,
Old 03-15-2008, 09:35 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by Ed Emmons View Post
SaltySeaDawg,

I'm not one to kick a guy when he is down, but your part of the problem. As soon as you started to get the run around from United Hobbies you should have done the following: (where is UH located)

1 call your credit card company and tell them that there is a dispute with UH. You have not received material that you ordered.

2. Immediately send a conformation letter to credit card commpany confirming your call and detailing problrms. Ask credit card company to credit your account. Make sure you record the full name of the person you talked to, the time of the call and the date.

3. Send a copy of your letter to UH. This puts them on notice that you are taking acttion. Follow up your letter to UH with a letter cancelling the order. Send a copy of the cancellation letter to credit card company with a cover letter requesting yoiur account be credited with the full amount of the original charge.

4. It's unfortunate that this situation has dragged on for 4 months. But, it's not to late to get the credit card company involved. The credit card companies are open 24/7. Call them tonight and get the ball rolling.

Good luck,
Hi, My message was to STRESS the importance of Protecting yourself, Not to kick anyone, although some people will take it different ways, I cant help that, anyway, this is a perfect example of what happens all the time, a person buys something from over seas, something goes wrong, and they are posting away about how they got taken, when its so easy to protect yourself from that ever happinging in the first place, I used this as an example for others, to learn what can happen, if you dont use CYA, and protect yourself, its so easy to do, there is no reason a person has to come out on the short end of the stick, I am looking out for Others, I hope you did not take it the wrong way, Chellie
Old 03-16-2008, 05:13 AM
Ed Emmons
Ed

CHELLIE,

I agree with you 100%. Why buy overseas when you can get the same materials in the USA? If you don't CYA then the buyer has no one to blame but himself. If you never make a mistake then you are not learning.

Hioefully the lesson has not been an expensive one.

Gone flying.
Old 03-16-2008, 05:22 AM
fr4nk1yn
^_^

I've said it plenty of times. Why buy from somebody reselling HCs' products when you can order direct for about half. Problems can happen with any retailer that why protections are in place. HC only takes paypal and if you used a credit card on top of that I'd think you'd have a couple of ways to see about getting refunded.
Old 03-16-2008, 01:12 PM
Murocflyer
WAA-08 Pilot #1

Let take this one step farther and suggest that folks only buy from reputable vendors in the USA period. Is it really worth the aggravation to save a few pennies on an ESC (of questionable reliability in the first place)?

For example, try finding anything negative about Todd's Models, Stevens Aero, or Mountain Models. Now, try finding something negative about Hobby City or United Hobbies (or whatever name they are using this year). Let me know what you find out.

Thanks,

Frank
Old 04-01-2008, 05:46 PM
simibill
General Factotum

Here's my story in dealing with Hobby City. On March 17th I ordered a motor ($62.75) with postage. Within an hour of placing the order, I sent an email canceling the order. I got a reply saying that a support person would contact me very soon. Well, very soon was a week later when I got an email saying a case number had been assigned. To make a long story short, I exchanged emails ad infinitum with no action. The 800 phone number they provide is never answered. On March 27th, I got an email saying my order has been shipped. Another round of emails ensued with them saying they never received an email from me canceling the order. I have filed a dispute with PayPal, but have little hope of avoiding the cost of postage both ways if I return the motor. Caveat Emptor.
Old 04-01-2008, 07:51 PM
rcers
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by CHELLIE View Post
Things like that sometimes Happen, Thats Why you ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS, Want to use PayPal, I have been trying to Educate the Masses on how Important it is to use PayPal when buying overseas, That May Be The Biggest LESSON LEARNED Use PayPal, so things Like this dont happen to you, You Will get your money back if something goes wrong, and It sometimes does, It does not matter if your buying from overseas too, use Paypal All the Time, You will get your money back if there is a Problem, and PayPal is free or sometimes there may be a small charge, and Secure, you dont give your information out to no one, Take care, Chellie
Chellie - got news for you - PayPal works great - if THEY leave money in their account. They are powerless, when the vendor withdraws money from their paypal, back to their accounts.

So the crooks that use PayPal can get your money and run, sadly.

Mike
Old 04-01-2008, 08:06 PM
Bub Steve
Super Contributor

SaltySeaDawg:: You wouldn't par chance have a line dragg'in behind your boat??? If you did the credit card thing you'd know pay-pal is the way H.C works, sounds a bit fishy, If I'm wrong I'm sorry but I don't think I will be, Steve PS Sounds like heads ups RC a better choice for you,
Old 04-01-2008, 10:11 PM
Saucerguy2
Super Contributor

If crazy stuff like this actually happens, the most effective route is to go to their forum and post it, this will get their attention, otherwise, this does look like a trolling post likely from a vendor that's having problems selling their wares due to UH and other companies being their competition, so honestly I can't take what was posted seriously at all.
Old 04-01-2008, 10:26 PM
Bub Steve
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by SaucerGuy View Post
If crazy stuff like this actually happens, the most effective route is to go to their forum and post it, this will get their attention, otherwise, this does look like a trolling post likely from a vendor that's having problems selling their wares due to UH and other companies being their competition, so honestly I can't take what was posted seriously at all.
Didio, your bub, steve
Old 04-01-2008, 11:04 PM
simibill
General Factotum

Originally Posted by SaucerGuy View Post
Well, first of all do you think Hobby City has a forum? Do you think they actually give a damn? The only reason I post my experience with them is to alert other potential customers to the hazards of doing business with this outfit. So frankly I don't care if you take it seriously either.
Old 04-01-2008, 11:16 PM
FlyingMonkey
Flite Test Fan

I find it odd that this thread is still open.

As someone else pointed out, it looks like a bit of a troll. A rather successful one at that.

As I recall, a good troll only posts the first post, and sits back and watches as it unravels. The OP has not been back to Wattflyer since the day he signed up and posted. It's almost enough to make you wonder if they guy has other aliases on here.

Maybe it's time to close this one?
Old 04-01-2008, 11:45 PM
fr4nk1yn
^_^

Look at the prices you DO get what you pay for. In there case it's customer service. Due my on going HC/PayPal problems my one of my payments got lost. It took 8 days from the first email to get a response asking for more more information it took another 5 days for it to be fixed. Even though they may be in Chhina they have to cut cut costs to sell for those prices.
Old 04-02-2008, 12:46 AM
ministeve2003
Class Clown

Sounds like Trolling.... Hobbycity Deals with thousands of orders daily, Do you really think 5 minutes after you send them an email it is going to be answered... NO.... Most Emails I've sent them (to Remove a backordered item) has been delt with within a day or two... Thats fine with me... also 1 email unanswered sent every 15 days seems fake...Definate trolling... real people who don't get an answer in two days starts sending them once a day... or every other day... and after a few days of unanswered emails they call to dispute... Every transaction from hobbycity goes through paypal, Even if you don't have an account...
SK
Old 04-02-2008, 12:56 AM
smokejohnson
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by simibill View Post
Well, first of all do you think Hobby City has a forum? Do you think they actually give a damn? The only reason I post my experience with them is to alert other potential customers to the hazards of doing business with this outfit. So frankly I don't care if you take it seriously either.
FWIW they do have a forum that is monitored by a guy that works there. Goes by Admin of course. He does try to help people but not everybody gets the result they want. It could be worth a shot.

http://myhobbycity.com/cmps_index.php
Old 04-02-2008, 04:19 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by rcers View Post
Chellie - got news for you - PayPal works great - if THEY leave money in their account. They are powerless, when the vendor withdraws money from their paypal, back to their accounts.

So the crooks that use PayPal can get your money and run, sadly.

Mike
Hi Mike I had a seller on Ebay, that bought items from a Dist. and before he recieved the items, Had them listed and sold on e Bay, the seller did not use paypal to buy the stock, then, the seller was trying to stall me and others, while he was trying to find the Dist. that took the money and ran with it, I filed with paypal, Paypal returned My Money, and added a negitive to the sellers account, anyway, I have been protected By PayPal 100% so far, and I dont think a company like Hobby City will disappear over night, I could be wrong soooo for me, paypal has come through, and I have had to file a few claims, and got my money back every time, Great Track record there for paypal, and paypal is better than Nothing at all, just My 2 cents worth, Take care, Chellie
Old 04-02-2008, 04:28 AM
Airhead
Redneck Member

Originally Posted by stevecooper View Post
SaltySeaDawg:: You wouldn't par chance have a line dragg'in behind your boat??? If you did the credit card thing you'd know pay-pal is the way H.C works, sounds a bit fishy, If I'm wrong I'm sorry but I don't think I will be, Steve PS Sounds like heads ups RC a better choice for you,
Interesting Bub Steve....

Quick Reply: Robbed by United Hobbies/Hobby City

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.10620 seconds with 13 queries