Off Topic Chit Chat Get to know other eflight modelers in the WattFlyer community here in this off topic forum. NO politics or religion discussion please (Holiday well wishes are ok)

Bikers, Show us your rides!

Old 03-03-2008, 05:31 PM
  #226  
Buzz
Pcar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Daytona Beach, FL
Posts: 1,612
Default

Originally Posted by FlyWheel View Post
"Uhhhhh......." what? I'm not the first to post a non motorized bike on this thread. Nor does my moustache restrict me (or anyone else) to single speed machines.
Uhhhhh.... I just didn't expect to see a bicycle. C'mon now, I never said anything about your moustache. That was someone else. I really do like your paint job though.
Buzz is offline  
Old 03-03-2008, 06:36 PM
  #227  
MikeMc
Sponge Mike
 
MikeMc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Union City, Ca.
Posts: 317
Default

I don't have a cool mustache like yours but I do have long hair so I'm allowed to ride single speed too. Here's mine. 2007 Specialized Langster. I use the freewheel side so the hardcore guys probably won't talk to me. hehe
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Langster.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	122.6 KB
ID:	58239  
MikeMc is offline  
Old 03-04-2008, 03:58 AM
  #228  
FlyWheel
Ochroma Pyramidale Tekton
 
FlyWheel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Blackstock, South Carolina
Posts: 3,029
Default

Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
Uhhhhh.... I just didn't expect to see a bicycle. C'mon now, I never said anything about your moustache. That was someone else. I really do like your paint job though.
You should see her up close (in the sun). That royal purple candy apple also contains microscopic holographic particles (it's full of stars!)
FlyWheel is offline  
Old 03-04-2008, 04:38 PM
  #229  
Buzz
Pcar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Daytona Beach, FL
Posts: 1,612
Default

Originally Posted by FlyWheel View Post
You should see her up close (in the sun). That royal purple candy apple also contains microscopic holographic particles (it's full of stars!)
Where'd you find paint like that? Can you get a close up photo so we can see it all? I've never even heard of paint with holographic particles. <?>
Buzz is offline  
Old 03-05-2008, 02:45 AM
  #230  
FlyWheel
Ochroma Pyramidale Tekton
 
FlyWheel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Blackstock, South Carolina
Posts: 3,029
Default

Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
Where'd you find paint like that? Can you get a close up photo so we can see it all? I've never even heard of paint with holographic particles. <?>
The frame was painted by a shop in New Jersey, I think. I'll have to call up my LBS to get the name if you want it. You don't see the glitter untill the sun hits it, then they show as tiny (but bright) points of light. Their color changes depending on the angle, of course. Think of stars in the night sky, which was exactly the effect I was after. It isn't easy to photograph the effect, but I'll try to get a picture posted tomorrow, if the sun is shining.

Before she was repainted, I had her so she looked like she was made out of wood
Click image for larger version

Name:	bnhntgtn.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	92.5 KB
ID:	58580
For more pics, go here

OK, I got a couple of pics of the new paint, the "stars" don't show as bright as in RL, but you can see them at least.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled-1.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	296.3 KB
ID:	58557   Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled-2.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	296.9 KB
ID:	58558  

Last edited by FlyWheel; 03-06-2008 at 05:06 AM. Reason: added last line and photos
FlyWheel is offline  
Old 03-05-2008, 02:50 AM
  #231  
sgf323
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Omaha, NE
Posts: 317
Default

I took one of my RAW photos, outputed it at -1, 0, +1 and tried a bit of HDR with Photomatix. What do you think?

3 source images probably would have been better but I think it's pretty good for a first try from a single source image.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	bike_hdr.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	84.6 KB
ID:	58469  
sgf323 is offline  
Old 03-06-2008, 12:06 AM
  #232  
aeromite
Figure 9 Specialist
 
aeromite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: A Barrier Island in NJ - U.S.A.
Posts: 210
Default

Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
Nice pics, MikeMc. I'll have to dig up some REALLY old pictures from when I raced motocross professionally. To give you an idea how long ago this was...I finished 15th out of 100 at the first Supercross race ever held inside the Daytona International Speedway. Yeah... 1971!

If you guys want to see some photos just let me know. I'll scan some and post them. Bikes? I started on Yamaha's... then got a sponsorship to ride Maicos and CZ''s. Finally, in my 3rd year, our team got picked up by Ossa motorcycles. Fastest, best handling bike I ever raced. I even made the center fold of "Dirt Bike" magazine, at Daytona. Never owned a Harley...or any other big bike. "My sole intention was learning to fly.......

Incredible, Buzz! It's a Small World After All!

A friend and I bought used Triumphs together back in 1964 and used them for our only on-road transportation, and on weekends we raced "scrambles" (pre-motocross) as well as flat track with them! We travelled to all the tracks in PA, W. VA, and VA for scrambles racing, and to MD, Upstate NY, and NH for flat tracking.

I picked up a Maico and he picked up a CZ for the scrambles races so we could run the 250cc class, and the open class with the Triumphs. When we flat tracked, we only used the Triumphs. We never went professional but pretended we did and after a while we were unbeatable in open-class scrambles. We made up a banner and called ourselves "The Snow Crop Orange Juice Motorcycle Racing Team" - what a hoot! (it does have a certain ring to it if you say it right - like Strawberry Alarm Clock - LOL!). We always had trouble beating out the guys on Bultaco Pursangs in the 250cc class but we always came in 2nd and 3rd (or 3rd and 2nd) and once in a while got the best of them. That was really "back in the day"!

He now rides a 1973 Triumph Bonneville and I've got a 2005 XL1200R Sportster. I've been riding 44 years all told and have always had a bike. I wish I still had that 2-cycle Maico, it was great bike. In addition to his Triumph, my buddy still has his CZ and puts spiked tires on it for ice racing in the winter on Lake Wallenpaupak in PA.

Dang, it IS a small world!
aeromite is offline  
Old 03-06-2008, 04:32 PM
  #233  
Buzz
Pcar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Daytona Beach, FL
Posts: 1,612
Default

Originally Posted by aeromite View Post
Incredible, Buzz! It's a Small World After All!

A friend and I bought used Triumphs together back in 1964 and used them for our only on-road transportation, and on weekends we raced "scrambles" (pre-motocross) as well as flat track with them! We travelled to all the tracks in PA, W. VA, and VA for scrambles racing, and to MD, Upstate NY, and NH for flat tracking.

I picked up a Maico and he picked up a CZ for the scrambles races so we could run the 250cc class, and the open class with the Triumphs. When we flat tracked, we only used the Triumphs. We never went professional but pretended we did and after a while we were unbeatable in open-class scrambles. We made up a banner and called ourselves "The Snow Crop Orange Juice Motorcycle Racing Team" - what a hoot! (it does have a certain ring to it if you say it right - like Strawberry Alarm Clock - LOL!). We always had trouble beating out the guys on Bultaco Pursangs in the 250cc class but we always came in 2nd and 3rd (or 3rd and 2nd) and once in a while got the best of them. That was really "back in the day"!

He now rides a 1973 Triumph Bonneville and I've got a 2005 XL1200R Sportster. I've been riding 44 years all told and have always had a bike. I wish I still had that 2-cycle Maico, it was great bike. In addition to his Triumph, my buddy still has his CZ and puts spiked tires on it for ice racing in the winter on Lake Wallenpaupak in PA.

Dang, it IS a small world!
You know, the more we talk the more I wonder if we led parallel lives!
I can't upload my pictures because they're scans and if I reduce their size, you won't be able to see them. I'll try uploading them to my site server and postin links. I raced flat track on an Ossa DMR (Dick Mann Replica). I also raced scrambles on a Yamaha 250. But, I'll have to admit, the Ossa Stilettos were faster and better handling than any other motocross bike I ever rode. The CZ was a strange bike to me. I could be flying down a straight stretch and the bike would just throw me on the ground! I finally figured out when it started doing the "Hospital Hop" the only way to straighten it out was to pour the throttle on. I used to love to go to a non-sanctioned race because they knew I was a pro, so they made me race the 250 Ossa in the open class. I still won all of them! U got any pics?

I'm going to try uploading and linking back to some pictures that are so old they're falling apart. lol The Pro motocross I raced was international, and Florida/Georgia were the winter races. I got to race against the likes of Joel Robert, Sylvan Gabor, Enji Greff, Barry Higgins, Brad Lackey, Zane Kent and many other famous riders from Europe. Let me dig around a little.

Buzz
Buzz is offline  
Old 03-06-2008, 06:03 PM
  #234  
aeromite
Figure 9 Specialist
 
aeromite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: A Barrier Island in NJ - U.S.A.
Posts: 210
Default

Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
You know, the more we talk the more I wonder if we led parallel lives!
I can't upload my pictures because they're scans and if I reduce their size, you won't be able to see them. I'll try uploading them to my site server and postin links. I raced flat track on an Ossa DMR (Dick Mann Replica). I also raced scrambles on a Yamaha 250. But, I'll have to admit, the Ossa Stilettos were faster and better handling than any other motocross bike I ever rode. The CZ was a strange bike to me. I could be flying down a straight stretch and the bike would just throw me on the ground! I finally figured out when it started doing the "Hospital Hop" the only way to straighten it out was to pour the throttle on. I used to love to go to a non-sanctioned race because they knew I was a pro, so they made me race the 250 Ossa in the open class. I still won all of them! U got any pics?

I'm going to try uploading and linking back to some pictures that are so old they're falling apart. lol The Pro motocross I raced was international, and Florida/Georgia were the winter races. I got to race against the likes of Joel Robert, Sylvan Gabor, Enji Greff, Barry Higgins, Brad Lackey, Zane Kent and many other famous riders from Europe. Let me dig around a little.

Buzz

Yeah, I'm beginning to think we were separated at birth - or something!

I'd love to see any old pictures you may have from your racing days. Joel Robert and Brad Lackey are familiar names to me, but the rest, I'm not so sure. Gary Nixon is the one I remember best.

I'm afraid we were not very much into taking pictures, and that's a shame because I would love to see them now! In fact, the only picture I can ever remember seeing was of my Triumph 650cc TR6-C all by itself. There's a couple of places that picture could be and the next time I'm in the attic I'll see if I can find it, scan it, and post it.

In 1970 I started taking flying lessons for my private license (in an Aeronca 7AC), but gave up 1:1 flying when our first son was born in 1973. Now, tell me you also got your private ticket and I'll arrange the family reunion - LOL!
aeromite is offline  
Old 03-06-2008, 09:58 PM
  #235  
aeromite
Figure 9 Specialist
 
aeromite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: A Barrier Island in NJ - U.S.A.
Posts: 210
Default

Buzz,

My desire to see my old Triumph got the best of me and I went to the attic to rummaged for the picture of it.

Here it is in all of it's racing glory during a local practice session for scrambles (lights removed, mufflers removed, and carb needle raised to enrichen and compensate the mixture for the straight-pipe exhaust).

As mentioned previously, I bought it used but it was only a couple of years old when I got it, and it cost me the whopping sum of $600.00 (a lot at the time!) It was the 650cc, single carb, model TR6-C. Notice the "Bell" helmet (about all that was available at the time- LOL!)

aeromite is offline  
Old 03-07-2008, 07:17 AM
  #236  
ajs007
New Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 3
Default Cooles Bike

Ah that brings back memory's the good old days great photo .Regards Alan.GB
ajs007 is offline  
Old 05-15-2008, 05:01 PM
  #237  
buzzbomber
Matt Smith
 
buzzbomber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Newton, NJ
Posts: 563
Default

Well, I did my part to curb dependence on foreign oil. After a year of it languishing in the cycleshell in my yard, I finally got off my duff and diagnosed and fixed my GS500. Tore down the carbs and thoroughly cleaned them, amazingly the o-rings and diaphragms were still good. Wound up fitting an inline fuel filter to stop the rust from the tank from clogging the jets, a new higher flow air filter element and some minor stuff. Just got it through inspection this morning and have a set of new tires waiting to be mounted. It's good to be back on two wheels.
buzzbomber is offline  
Old 05-15-2008, 05:04 PM
  #238  
Tireshred
Member
 
Tireshred's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Texas
Posts: 642
Default

The GS is a great bike, rode many of them, great on fuel too. Have fun...
Tireshred is offline  
Old 07-16-2008, 06:17 PM
  #239  
Crash Test Dummy
Super Contributor
 
Crash Test Dummy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Sugar Grove
Posts: 2,748
Default Check this out!!!

I'd like to try one of these babies!! Aprox $15995.00 not bad.


CTD
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Can Am Spyder.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	52.0 KB
ID:	72895   Click image for larger version

Name:	Can-AM_Spyder_R34.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	45.5 KB
ID:	72896  
Crash Test Dummy is offline  
Old 07-17-2008, 04:58 PM
  #240  
buzzbomber
Matt Smith
 
buzzbomber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Newton, NJ
Posts: 563
Default

The good thing about that Can-Am is that cars might actually PAY ATTENTION to you on it, thanks to the size. I don't understand how so many cars can fail to see a motorcycle high beam, but but they do......yes, I had to test my emergency braking skills a couple times yesterday in case you were wondering. Keeping two fingers on the brake and clutch levers paid off. SOME Stupid cagers(not everybody) drive like everyone else on the road is just scenery in a video game(some motorcyclists do it too, to be fair but they're usually just putting themselves at risk). I know the risks, wear the gear all the time, but sometimes the sheer incompetence and/or arrogance displayed by others on the road just gets to me. I'll shut up now......

Last edited by buzzbomber; 07-17-2008 at 05:11 PM. Reason: sounded more belligerant than intended...
buzzbomber is offline  
Old 07-17-2008, 05:00 PM
  #241  
Liquidity
Combat Vet
 
Liquidity's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: GA
Posts: 2,049
Default

edit.
Liquidity is offline  
Old 07-17-2008, 05:31 PM
  #242  
Fangar
Bank Robber
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Wilton, CA
Posts: 629
Default Now for some History....

The first was my Grandpa... 1917 Harley Davidson. Photo was taken in 1921. My grandpa lived to be 97.

The second is my Pop. This is a Harley 45. I don't recall the year, but he was about 15 years old.

Cheers,

Fangar
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	grandpa.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	109.6 KB
ID:	72972   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pops45.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	64.7 KB
ID:	72973  
Fangar is offline  
Old 07-17-2008, 05:42 PM
  #243  
buzzbomber
Matt Smith
 
buzzbomber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Newton, NJ
Posts: 563
Default

Cool pictures! My father-in-law's father was a motorcycle officer in Paterson, NJ back in the middle part of the last century. We have some nice old black and whites of him on the job. Can't remember exactly what they put him on, but I want to say Hydro-Glide...
buzzbomber is offline  
Old 07-17-2008, 05:46 PM
  #244  
Fangar
Bank Robber
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Wilton, CA
Posts: 629
Default

Originally Posted by buzzbomber View Post
Cool pictures! My father-in-law's father was a motorcycle officer in Paterson, NJ back in the middle part of the last century. We have some nice old black and whites of him on the job. Can't remember exactly what they put him on, but I want to say Hydro-Glide...
Cool. Both of those photos above were taken in Chicago Illinois.

My old man has had over 75 bikes in his time. I have had 3 harleys and now the new ZG1400. That bike smokes.



Cheers,

Fangar
Fangar is offline  
Old 07-18-2008, 06:11 AM
  #245  
Crash Test Dummy
Super Contributor
 
Crash Test Dummy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Sugar Grove
Posts: 2,748
Default

I had someone try to kill me tonight coming home from work. A Van pulled out in front of me. They were making a right hand turn and they almost hit me in the side!!! I yanked my Valkyrie hard to the left and threaded the needle between the Van and the car on my left!! Dam that was close!! I"d guess he missed me [Thanks to me!!] buy no more than a foot or less. At least I"m able to post the story here tonight.

Fangar,

Those are some cool pix. My Dad also had a few bikes in his day. I'll have to ask my Mom if she still has any pix of him on his bikes. Nice GZ1400. I have a 1983 LTD 750 Kaw. It is old but I still love it.

CTD
Crash Test Dummy is offline  
Old 07-18-2008, 06:54 AM
  #246  
King Cobra
Permanently Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Sunny South
Posts: 47
Default

WOW! threading a needle is not an easy task on a Valkyrie ! Those folks probably have chrome marks on their vehicles from your pipes. That is what is wrong with 4 wheelers that don't pay attention to all obsticles in the road. Happened to me a few times. It is a bad feeling when that happens.I have a 2006 Concours. When I am approaching an intersection and I see a car approaching, I flash my headlights till I get by. Safe riding. Matt
King Cobra is offline  
Old 07-18-2008, 08:28 AM
  #247  
Fangar
Bank Robber
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Wilton, CA
Posts: 629
Default

Originally Posted by Crash Test Dummy View Post
I had someone try to kill me tonight coming home from work. A Van pulled out in front of me. They were making a right hand turn and they almost hit me in the side!!! I yanked my Valkyrie hard to the left and threaded the needle between the Van and the car on my left!! Dam that was close!! I"d guess he missed me [Thanks to me!!] buy no more than a foot or less. At least I"m able to post the story here tonight.

Fangar,

Those are some cool pix. My Dad also had a few bikes in his day. I'll have to ask my Mom if she still has any pix of him on his bikes. Nice GZ1400. I have a 1983 LTD 750 Kaw. It is old but I still love it.

CTD

Glad you made it through that ok. Ride safe!

Fangar
Fangar is offline  
Old 07-18-2008, 12:38 PM
  #248  
Don Sims
Administrator
 
Don Sims's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Middle Tennessee
Posts: 14,304
Default

Originally Posted by Crash Test Dummy View Post
I had someone try to kill me tonight coming home from work. A Van pulled out in front of me. They were making a right hand turn and they almost hit me in the side!!! I yanked my Valkyrie hard to the left and threaded the needle between the Van and the car on my left!! Dam that was close!! I"d guess he missed me [Thanks to me!!] buy no more than a foot or less. At least I"m able to post the story here tonight. CTD
Dang CTD, glad you missed that bullet. I would have had to stop and change underwear after something like that!
Don Sims is offline  
Old 07-18-2008, 01:14 PM
  #249  
Mr. Baggins
Goofball
 
Mr. Baggins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: God's country
Posts: 1,353
Default

Glad you dodged the land yacht CTD. There is probably still a huge boot shaped dent in the passenger door of a Delta Eighty-Eight in NC somewhere. Older lady that tried to make her exit from the highway from the left lane right through me.
Mr. Baggins is offline  
Old 07-18-2008, 02:31 PM
  #250  
Crash Test Dummy
Super Contributor
 
Crash Test Dummy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Sugar Grove
Posts: 2,748
Default

Thanks guys. It al happend sooooo FAST I couldn't even honk the horn until it was all over. I felt stupid honking after the fact but I felt I needed to I was so pisst. The Valk handels so good for a land yacht. The low center of gravity of the flat 6 cyc is awsome.

CTD
Crash Test Dummy is offline  

Quick Reply: Bikers, Show us your rides!


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.17331 seconds with 21 queries