E-Flite Helicopters Discuss E-Flite helicopters in this forum such as the Blade CX, Blade CX2, Blade CP Pro and all other E-Flite rc helis.

CX2 Upper Shaft Mod

Old 01-26-2009, 09:17 PM
TexasRCFlyer

Default CX2 Upper Shaft Mod

I was in Dallas over the weekend at Mikes in Carrolton and ran across a very nice Mod for the CX2. This might be on here somewhere but I looked and couldnt find it so wanted to share it. This guy I met bought a piece of metal rod from the hobby shop. I dont remember what size, its the exact same diameter as the upper shaft of the CX2. Then he bought a piece of aluminum tubing the perfect size for the shaft to go into. We took my factory upper shaft and removed the tubing. I installed another piece that we cut about 2 and a half inches longer and secured it into the upper hub. I ended up buying the aftermarket Eflite aluminum one which has a set screw for holding it better. With that cut, we took the aluminum tubing and cut it exactly the same length as how much longer than the factory shaft. Basically if you cut the new shaft 2.5 inches longer, make the tubing 2.5 inches. Then reinstall the shaft with the tubing first, and your top blades are 2.5 inches higher. After doing that I was able to take my two servos arms and move the linkage out a couple holes with no blade strikes. My forward speed is tripled, I have no blade strikes, I can fly it outside, and it is alot more fun. Its not near as stable as it was before, but it flies great. I only invested $2 in tubing and I bought the $13 aluminum upper shaft replacement. I thought this was a great upgrade. Everything seems to be workign great. Everything else on my CX2 is factory.
I welcome any comments, I'm curious who else has tried this or sees something that I did that may cause a problem.
Old 01-27-2009, 04:21 PM
capt. crash
is cooler than you

try the e-flite subforum, 1000% more likely for an answer.
Old 02-12-2009, 05:32 AM
wickedwelder
avaition fanatic

id love to see a pic of that mod the added weight of the black hawk body so times causea a blade strike
Old 02-12-2009, 06:40 AM
Crash Test Dummy
Super Contributor

There is a company that makes these upgrades for the CX2 although I can't recall their name rite now, sorry. They use to run banner ads here a while back.

CTD
Old 02-12-2009, 07:04 AM
Twmaster

I've moved this to the E-Flite forum.

CTD.. That company was selling re-bagged Dynam Vortex parts as 'upgrades'.

What the OP has mentioned is totally different and I personally find intriguing.

Raising the upper rotor solves a couple of issues with the CX and CX2. (And I guess the new CX3). Blades striking each other. Also the CX family are not great at FFF. So if you can extend the cyclic to 125% or more it ought to scoot.

Neat stuff. I'll have to lo look at this more.