Off Topic Chit Chat Get to know other eflight modelers in the WattFlyer community here in this off topic forum. NO politics or religion discussion please (Holiday well wishes are ok)

CHELLIE'S Go Kart :)

Old 06-15-2020, 01:40 PM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Talking CHELLIE'S Go Kart :)

Hi Everyone My Neighbor gave me a Old Vintage Go Kart a few Months ago, and I finally Got around to Getting it Going, It was a rust Bucket, everything was rusted and stuck on it, the tires were rotten, and stuck on the rims with rust, I had to cut the tires off the rims LOL, bought 4 tire assy. from harbor freight tools $19.95 each, a clutch from EBay $19.95 and a #35 chain from EBay $8.95 and a air filter from EBay $5.00 , my Older Grandson helped me grind off all the rust from the rims then we painted the inside of the rims to prevent that from rusting again, Got it done, thats my youngest 12 year old Grandson riding it in my back yard, I ride it too, and you cant wipe the grin off my face, not even with a 2x4 LOL, I had some old Briggs and Stratton engines laying around and made one good engine from a few old engines I am a 66 year old Grandma with 4 Grand kids and a Retired Female Fleet Equipment Mechanic, Take care, Chellie

Old 06-15-2020, 07:47 PM
solentlife
Super Contributor

Great stuff ...

When I was 13 .. mate of mine - his back garden looked into anothers and under a sheet - we could make out some GoKart slick tyres ... we laughed and joked about going round and asking if we could buy the kart ..
Few days later we went round and got chatting to the Father ..... turned out he had a number of karts and the one under the sheet was an older Class 1 that was still current but basically outclassed by the Rotax / Yamaha later machines.
He pulled the covers off and the kart frame / wheels / brakes etc. were complete ... all it needed was an engine bolted in and chain drive made up ... axle sprocket was there.

He asked how serious we were about it and my mate backed off ... but I was YES YES YES ... and said I would get hold of a Lawnmower engine for it. House next door to where I lived - the guy owned a mower repair workshop ..

The Kart guy was thinking and rubbing his chin then said ... Look .. I have all the bits of the original engine in the shed ... if you come here each evening and do the work of putting it all back together - you can have the kart complete for ... at that he asked me how much I could afford ... I told him that over 1 month about 8 .... and he then said - that'll do.

I was at his house each evening for a week after school. Finally the weekend came and we put some 2T fuel in her ... and gave her a push in his drive .. it coughed and spluttered. We kept giving her a push up and down the drive and finally VROOM VROOM >>>>>>> she came to life.

I will always remember the smile on the guys face as he just calmly said - She's all yours ....

Aerokart Class 1
Villiers 9E3 engine (200cc) with clutch and 3 speed gearbox
Racing ratio sprockets and race slick tyres
Manually adjustable balanced front to rear braking

Before leaving him ... I asked about its history and he said that he had raced it first and then his son ... but then his son replaced it with a later lighter framed Yamaha powered kart. But he had fond memories of it and reckoned she could still place if raced.

I did race her for a bit .. but in an open frame Kart - it was dicey ... especially as it was easily capable of over 100mph ...

Here it is with my oldest brother and his girlfriend in our back garden :

For practice in a field across the road from our house ... I used scooter wheels ... and to start it being on my own and no kickstart fitted ... I would prop that rear up on a drum ... into gear ... prime the carb, pin the throttle open a touch .. and then turn the back wheel ...

Chelie as you have found ... no matter whether slow or what ... close to the ground is great fun !!
Old 06-16-2020, 01:49 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Hi Nigel Yes Go Karts are a lot of fun I Love Mini Bikes too I am just a big kid at heart I will Never Ever Grow Up LOL, Take care, Chellie
Old 06-16-2020, 12:04 PM
Don Sims
Administrator

Great stories you two. Chellie it was fun watching the video of your grandson tooling around.
Old 06-16-2020, 07:34 PM
Wisc-BK
Watch this........:-(

Wow reminds me of my kid days, about 60 some years ago, my friends and I built a go-kart out of scavenged wood, axles, wheels, made our own steering wheel out of a broom handle
and clothes line rope and pullies. Lucky found an old belt driven Reo lawn mower by the dump and managed to mount it to the go-kart. Darn thing went pretty darn fast, we use to run
it over in the cemetery since the "new one" had an oval paved car path in it. Local police ( a town of 900 people back then ) finally kicked us out for some odd reason ...
Old 06-22-2020, 10:02 PM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Talking

Hi Don Yes, Go Karts are a lot of fun
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	kart.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	14.3 KB
ID:	188109  
Old 06-22-2020, 10:04 PM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Yes, Go Karts do bring back a lot of Fond Memories
Old 06-22-2020, 11:08 PM
solentlife
Super Contributor

If only I had that Kart now !! With the ground I have - could be good fun !!