General RC E-Heli Talk General discussion forum for electric powered rc helis.

Pinion belt question

Old 04-10-2013, 12:40 AM
earthsciteach

Default Pinion belt question

I have no idea where to post this because it really doesn't fit any categories. I hope to use pinion gears and a toothed belt for a custom application. It is at all possible to cut and splice a pinion belt in order to customize the length?

Any ideas, opinions, thoughts, encouragement/discouragement would be greatly appreciated!

Oh, application: A 39 tooth pinion gear is going to be mounted on a brushed motor shaft. The belt will turn a 15 tooth pinion gear to drive a prop shaft with an APC 6x3e prop. The setup is totally custom, so I'm trying to adapt some RC car stuff. The vehicle this is powering doesn't fly, but levitates on a track of magnets. Certainly, there HAS to be a solution to modifying a belt to a specific size. But, its best to ask before starting the process of trial and error.

Thanks!