Beginners New to e-power flying? Get the low down in here from experienced e-power RC pilots!

EasyStar the 2nd beginning

Old 11-08-2011, 03:20 AM
Timmerflyer

Default EasyStar the 2nd beginning

Hello Wattflyer,

I tried several years again to fly a slow stick and could not get it to fly. I then gave up and I am here for a second try. I have bought realflight 6 and have some stick time on that using the easystar. It seems to be a very stable plane and simple to fly. I also found that easystar is great for FPV, which I really like to get into once I can fly. Now comes to the question of the setup for the easystar. I would like to get a 4 channel and 2.4ghz radio to use for FPV and future planes. What would be a good radio will a long range that won't break the bank. Also should I upgrade to brushless? And possible put in ailerons down the road. What steps should I take on realflight before I go for the maiden flight? Any other recommendations is welcome.

Thanks Timmerflyer
Old 11-08-2011, 03:48 AM
Fishbonez
Love my Stinger

I do not own an Easy Star but I know there are alot of folks with a Wild Hawk and or a Bixler all 3 of these planes are very similar to each other. I have also read how some folks have interchanged wings and things. I own a Wild Hawk and have added ailerons and added more to the control serfices and some other mods here is a link of a discussion between myself and earthscienceteach. http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=64329
maybe you can get some ideas from there. I have not flown mine yet due to waiting on a part I forgot to order. I am sure many folks here have experience with one of these planes to include an easy star. Good luck and enjoy
Old 11-08-2011, 03:49 AM
Rockin Robbins
Super Contributor

First of all, congratulations on picking an RTF Easy Star for your second stab at learning to fly. This way you don't have to worry about picking out components, the plane will balance as intended right out of the box and you have all the odds in your favor.

I'd keep this puppy absolutely stock until you learn to fly and can tell when something isn't quite right and know what to do about it. If you start substituting parts right away, things change, CG, balance between motor and propeller, battery requirements, these are all details you need to deal with later, AFTER you conquer the big elephant standing in your way--learning to fly.

The Easy Star is much improved with brushless motor, but flies just fine for awhile with the stock motor. It won't handle wind as well, but you should begin flying in absolute calm conditions anyway. The brushed motor has a definite and pretty short lifetime. When it goes you'll be ready to handle matching in a new ESC, motor and propeller. Same with the ailerons. Leave it stock and learn to fly it. It's a great plane.

I'm a #1 fanboi of the Slow Stick. But you're perfect example for why I don't recommend it for beginners. You have to build the thing first and there are a hundred ways to build a Slow Stick that won't fly no matter how well you tweak the sticks. And what do you have then? You KNOW you don't know how to fly but you know the plane might not be able to fly either. Confusion sets in and you quit the hobby, thanks to my favorite airplane! That's why you start with an RTF that you can have confidence in its flying ability.

Radio? I have a Spektrum DX5e and love it. It will be a good radio for a long time. When I upgrade it becomes the buddy box tx. You might be even better served by purchasing a DX6i, which has not only the dual rates of the DX5e, but exponential rates and control mixing.

Don't worry about what those things are right now, they will become important later. The DX6i also has model memory to remember your settings for different planes you fly. Both radios highly recommended. But keep in mind that if you buy the DX5e you will be buying a DX6i down the road anyway!

I'm not a simulator evangelist, believing in thumbs on sticks connected to a real model is what our hobby is, not manipulating pixels on a screen. There are profound differences between a model in a simulator and your Easy Star in the sky and without actually knowing how to fly, you have no way of knowing what they are. The sim can teach you "control reversal" when the plane is flying toward you. It can also teach you which stick deflections pitch up down yaw left and right and roll left and right, if you have never been exposed to airplane controls before. That's about it. In my opinion, just about anything else the sim teaches you is a perverse mixture of truth and fiction. And you, not knowing the truth, cannot sort it out. Better get the whole truth from a real model plane.

The Easy Star is just the plane to teach it to you safely. Big field. No wind. Limited goals. Worry less about where you land than about getting her down gently. Those legs of yours walk better than you can fly right now. You have the right plane now and you can do it!
Old 11-08-2011, 04:41 AM
Timmerflyer

Thanks for the advice. Looking at headsuprc I found the easystar Arf kit, ESC and Lipo battery. I still have a charger and 3 channel radio I can use for a little while till i decide to upgrade. Here is some links what you think.

ESC: http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...Brushed/Detail

LiPo: http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...-30C-EZ/Detail

should I stick with 7.4v or go to 11.1v

Servo: http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...sh---5g/Detail

Thanks Timmerflyer
Old 11-08-2011, 12:16 PM
Rockin Robbins
Super Contributor

Okay, Easy Star is sold in a couple of configurations.

There's the RTF model, ready to fly with all components installed. Actually it is not quite RTF as the transmitter batteries and charger are not included. They will cost you extra. Also, you get a non-specified radio which, while higher quality, resembles the infamous Hobby Zone Super Cub radio with the slider throttle. All the reviews I've seen say this is a decent quality radio, but I haven't read any discussions of it here. Believe me, there will be some, I just haven't read them because I don't have an Easy Star.

Then there is the M264192, RR, model, ($108 from Amazon) that's Receiver Ready. This version comes with 2 servos, motor, esc, and Propeller included. You add receiver, battery for motor, transmitter and fly. You'll still need a charger for that main battery pack.

Finally there is the ARF model, also sold as the kit model ($72.99 from Amazon). You'll need motor, speed control, propeller, battery, servos and receiver (Multiplex neglects to mention that a transmitter and LiPo charger are very helpful!) for this one. You'll end up having to know a lot about construction and trimming your plane, including adapting motors to whatever mount is present on the plane, adjusting to ensure CG is correct, setting initial trim positions on control surfaces before first flight. All that help is available here on Wattflier.

Keep in mind that the more you are required to build, the more ways there are for you to build a plane that will not fly whether you can or not. The ARF is for those with experienced help or those with building and a little flying experience. The flying experience can include having built and successfully flown free flight airplanes. Don't laugh, my first plane was a box of sticks Airtronics Square Soar and my free flight experience allowed me to live through that experience. Back in the day it was unthinkable not to start by building and flying free flight planes. Now nobody knows what they are.....

I would go with 10 gram servos, not the 5 gram ones you specify there. They are more the size that comes in the Easy Star.

On the motor, if you're building the ARF kit plane anyway, no reason not to go for the brushless. Use the phone, give the guys over at Heads Up a call and tell them that you're building an Easy Star. They'll knock themselves out helping you and ensure that you're buying the right stuff for that specific plane. They have an amazing amount of data. If you have the ARF you need a motor. Best to get the brushless right away so long as you have the help you need to mount it. The guys at Heads Up ARE that help.

With the stock motor, Multiplex says your speed control is too small. They recommend a 17 to 27 amp speed control, buy the upper end because the prices aren't much different and headroom is good as we say in the sound business. Also Multiplex calls for a 3S, 11.7 volt main battery. They don't even mention the possibility of a 2 cell in their info at http://www.multiplexusa.com/model-kits/easy_star.html

So the battery, servos and speed control you selected won't work. You need a 3C 1300maH, 17 to 27 amp speed control (go for the high end), and 10 gram servos. Then you're good to go! Make that phone call and get a lot better help than I can give.

As a guy who believes that the new flier needs to eliminate all the variables he can so he can just learn to fly, I don't recommend ARF kits as a first plane. A newbie deserves to only have to worry about one thing: learning to fly. The path you've chosen is doable, but is surprisingly strewn with boulders to crush you and Burmese tiger traps to fall into. The RR version eliminates all that and still saves you money over the RTF kit.
Old 11-08-2011, 02:46 PM
NJSwede
3D wannabe

Lots of good advice from Rockin Robbins! However, I strongly (but amicably) disagree on what he has to say about simulators. I'm sure it depends on your style of learning and flying, but I found my simulator a great tool for gaining confidence.

You're hinting that you already own Realflight. Good. So here's what I would do: Pick a trainer, preferably a high wing 3 channel trainer. Gas or electric doesn't matter.

Pick a field without any obstacles and fly large ovals over the field. Focus on trying to turn with smooth fluid motions while maintaining a steady altitude. You don't have to worry too much about landings at this point. Do both clockwise and counter clockwise laps to make sure control reversal when flying with the nose towards you becomes second nature.

Once you've mastered left and right ovals, try a figure eight in the same manner, i.e. covering the entire field. Try to keep the 8 as perfect as you can (and don't despair if it's not the most perfect 8, they are hard to make look good, even for experienced flyers).

Once you've got your figures 8 down, start working on landings. First, disable any kind of simulated wind and just try to get the plane down in one piece anywhere on the strip. Then you can add a bit of wind. Perfectly calm days are extremely rare in most parts of the world, so make sure you can fly and land in 5-10mph winds. That's what you're going to see on most "good" flying days.

Once you can do upwind and crosswind landings, figure 8s and ovals, I'd say you're ready for the real thing. But beware, it's going to feel different! Depth perception is different and you'll probably have more obstacles in real life than in your sim. Plus, you have the added fear of breaking something that's expensive and took a lot of time to build.

As I mentioned in another thread, the best thing you can do is to find a friendly club in your area. Call them and ask if you can show up with your plane and if they can help you out. If they give you attitude for being a newbie, call them out here on the board and put them to public shame! Seriously! Such behavior is detrimental to the hobby and just simply should not be tolerated. Newbies are what keeps the hobby alive.

And don't be afraid to ask questions here on Wattflyer! Do a search on my name on this board, and you'll find tons of "silly" questions asked by me. That's how I learned (and how I'm still learning). There are no stupid questions and we all remember (especially me since it wasn't that long ago) what it feels like to be a beginner.

If you take it step by step, get help, use a sim to get the basic maneuvers down, you'll end up having more fun than you'd ever imagined!

Keep us posted and have fun out there!
Old 11-08-2011, 03:27 PM
Rockin Robbins
Super Contributor

Yup! Yup! Yup! A simulator will teach you THAT much. A fine curriculum there and not asking too much of the sim.