Power Systems Talk about motors, ESC speed controllers, gear drives, propellers, power system simulators and all power system related topics

Switch, Relay?????

Old 03-27-2009, 03:10 PM
cattail

Default Switch, Relay?????

After returning from a swap meet with a few new "treasures" I was excited to get one into the air. I purchased an old electric glider with motor, prop and what I was told an ESC already installed. The guy selling the plane was doing it for a friend of a friend.... but that does not matter.... I got back to my shop and put new Deans connectors on the "ESC". I hooked up a receiver and a servo along with a newly charged 7 volt lipo battery. After turning on the transmitter I plugged in the battery and moved the slide switch located inside the plane to the "on" position. Nothing happened. I then hit the small button switch located on the outside of the fuze and the motor came to life. That is a good thing, but I am unable to control the motor with the transmitter stick and the small button switch that got the ball rolling seems to just "turn on" and repeated pushing on that switch does nothing. The only way to stop the motor was to slide the switch located in the fuze to off. I realize this is an OLD model, but am I missing something here? I purchased another electric glider there but that is for another discussion! I am a novice when it comes to electrics and need to be steered some direction. I asked this question on another forum which produced two great replys. One said that this was NOT an ESC but rather an "arming switch" with low voltage cutoff using a relay. The other comment was along the same lines saying the large black looking box looked like a relay. Sounds good to me.... if this is indeed just a glorified on-off switch (allowing power to the RX) how would I turn the motor off after getting to altitude? I would think that the transmitter stick would cut it off but it does not. And like I said, after hitting the small button switch to get the motor turning hitting it again does not turn it off. Any thoughts or suggestions?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1545.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	99.1 KB
ID:	97367   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1548.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	112.1 KB
ID:	97368  
Old 03-27-2009, 04:40 PM
Sky Sharkster
Super Contributor

Default DisArmed?

Hello Cattail,
It may be that the arming and "On" switch merely allows the motor to run until the relay senses low voltage and cuts the motor. There aren't many of these around!
If that's the case, I'd suggest investing $30-$40 in a brushed ESC. Just splice it in line between the battery leads and motor, eliminating the relay and removing it. Save weight, hassle and have a real throttle. I'd remove the arming switch also.
JMO, Good Luck!
Ron
Old 03-27-2009, 04:50 PM
soar-ne
Omaha Ne.

cattail:
Does the switch toggle inside the fuse have a hole on it? Back in the old days we used to tie the switch to a servo arm with a slipp wire. You could rig it up to the rudder servo so at full deflection one way it would turn the switch on and the other way turn it off. It was not a speed control, just a relay for full on or off.
Im sure the switch on the outside of the fuse is as others have said, just a arming device for the relay system.
My suggestion would be to buy a brushed motor ESC with a large enough capacity to run a modern variable speed system. Not that exspensive anymore and a whole lot less of a hassle.
Cant tell from the pics as to the size of the motor, but I would say its a 600 by guessing. I would get a 30 amp or more ESC just to be safe, but a 25 may be OK also depending on the actuall motor size...

Good Luck
Bob

EDIT:
Disreguard my statement about useing a 25amp ESC on a 600 motor.........TOO SMALL.......Need at least a 30 amp model........Senior moment, I guess!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by soar-ne; 03-27-2009 at 05:24 PM.
Old 03-27-2009, 09:20 PM
cattail

From what you guys are saying I guess I could enter the 21st century and replace that relay with a modern ESC. I do have a Eflite 25 Amp brushless ESC here.... but judging from the last post this might be too small for the job. I would guess a brushless ESC is what is needed.... do not know what type of motor is in this bird, but it does seem powerful.
Old 03-27-2009, 09:33 PM
Sky Sharkster
Super Contributor

Default Check The Wires!

Hi Cattail,
I agree with Bob, that looks like a "Speed 600", or 550 (same can), pretty much the standard brushed motor with 2-meter ARFs, both in the past and now. Typically used an 8 x 4 folding prop on direct-drive (ungeared).
And I'm pretty sure the blue and white wires go to the motor? If so, 2 wires = brushed motor. 3 wires for brushless.
I'd go for 30 amps on the ESC, a brushed version (make sure you get one that has a "Hard Brake" function) should be in the $30-$40 range. "LiPo Friendly" or "LiPo Compatable" will ensure you can use it later, when you try LiPolys. Yes, we all do!
Ron
Old 03-27-2009, 09:38 PM
Sky Sharkster
Super Contributor

Default P.S.

Cattail, I forgot to post this link;
http://www.ampaviators.com/index.php...d=50&Itemid=27
Photos and text for the hook-up.
Ron
Old 03-27-2009, 10:02 PM
cattail

Yep, I guess I will go with a 30 Amp ESC. I have been testing this motor with lipo's.... the fellow that sold it to me said that a 7 volt lipo would work with this setup and that's what I have been using to test the motor..... thanks for all the info, especially that link, it clears things up for me.