Power Systems Talk about motors, ESC speed controllers, gear drives, propellers, power system simulators and all power system related topics

Looking for advice

Old 03-13-2009, 04:40 PM
Lowflyer76

Default Looking for advice

I am currnetly building a Great Planes Cherokee arf, I have purchased a E-Flite power 46 brushless outrunner for it. This is my first electric so I am a little overwhelmed to say the least. I am most likely going with an E-Flite 60A ESC. My question is I want atleast a 10 minute flight time, what Lipo Battery should I go with and what charger would you guys reccomend? Also what Prop would you swing on this model with this set up? I am looking for stable fun flight.
Old 03-15-2009, 04:24 AM
Lowflyer76

I ordered my battery, ended up getting an Enerland Twenty-Five 5 Cell 18.5V 6000 mAh LiPo Pack . I hope it will do the trick. I decided to choke up the extra money for the 6000mAh, hoping to increase flight times.
Old 03-15-2009, 04:28 AM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

Hey Lowflyer! Welcome to Wattflyer. Sorry I (we) missed this post yesterday.

Sounds like a good battery choice. Have you decided on a charger yet? I have the Cellpro 10s and love it! Very simple to use. plug in, push one button and away it goes. It's a bit pricey but worth every penny if you ask me.

http://www.fmadirect.com/new_applica...0s_charger.htm
Old 03-15-2009, 04:57 AM
Sky Sharkster
Super Contributor

Default E-Flite 60

Hello Lowflyer, Welcome to Wattflyer!
Bill's given you good advice, I have the CellPro 4S and think it's a great charger.
For starters, you might try a 16 x 8 APC "E" prop.
According to the Horizon site, with 6s (six cells in series) this motor wil pull over 50 amps. With 5s you should be OK with a 60A ESC.
http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...odID=EFLM4060A
Then I went to this free motor calc site;
http://brantuas.com/ezcalc/dma1.asp
And plugged in the motor, a 5s 4900Mah (The highest Mah I could find) and an 80A ESC. Using a 16 x 8 APC, the motor amps were 39.009 and the full-throttle duration was 7:32. Motor efficiency was 80%, the max efficiency for this motor is 81.2%.
These are good numbers and I'd assume the extra 1100 Mah would help even more. But remember, nobody (well, almost nobody!) flies at full throttle for the entire flight. So, 10 minutes with normal throttle management is very possible.
You might try a few different props to see how the numbers change, but this is a start.
Good Luck!
Ron
Old 03-15-2009, 05:07 AM
Lowflyer76

Thanks guys... I really appriciate the input. I think I will go with the Cellpro 10s . I have yet to go to my local hobby store , I am gonna see what props he has. This is my first electric and I am excited about it. The last two planes I owned were an ugly stick and pt-40 trainer. I am just trying to make sure I have enough motor and battery life for the cherokee. Have you guys ever used the E-flite power 46? That is the only thing I am a little concerned about. Thanks again.
Old 03-15-2009, 05:12 AM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

Not the 46 but We have the Power 32 with the E-Flite 60 amp Pro ESC in my Son's Diamante. It is a very good motor. A great combo that really flies that Aircraft nicely with tons of power!

I do like the E-flite products. Good quality stuff for sure.