Beginners New to e-power flying? Get the low down in here from experienced e-power RC pilots!

anatomy of a RC Airplane

Old 09-25-2008, 05:10 PM
Rolling Thunder
Keep the sunny side up

Default anatomy of a RC Airplane

does anyone have a picture or a link to a picture of all the parts of a RC Airplane?

I was thinking of something like how a encyclopedia shows a human anatomy & it splits it in half & then lists all the parts.
Old 09-25-2008, 05:19 PM
groundrushesup
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by Rolling Thunder View Post
does anyone have a picture or a link to a picture of all the parts of a RC Airplane?

I was thinking of something like how a encyclopedia shows a human anatomy & it splits it in half & then lists all the parts.
inside and out? Hrmm, interesting. I don't think I've seen such an image.

Some basics
Old 09-25-2008, 05:25 PM
Rolling Thunder
Keep the sunny side up

Originally Posted by groundrushesup View Post
inside and out? Hrmm, interesting. I don't think I've seen such an image.

Some basics
yeah,I know when im reading threads some of the lingo can get confusing.I thought this might help clear things up for a newby
Old 09-25-2008, 05:28 PM
eflight-ray

What plane?

Scale model, trainer, park fly, 3D, built up, profile, balsa, foam, molded.
High, mid, low, wing.
Conventional layout, flying wing, canard, biplane.
Single motor, multi-motor.
Tractor motor, pusher motor, mid-motor.
Stick fuselage, enclosed fuselage.
Fixed U/C, retracts, no U/C.

Sorry Thunder but the list could be almost endless.

If you after just a general high wing trainer type model, some of the built up kit models have a 'skeleton' view in the instructions. But I don't have one of those.

Even when it comes to the RC installation, servos can go in different places, (single or twin aileron servos), servos poking through profile etc.

Sorry if it sounds like I'm raining on your parade, but unless you can be very specific on a few things, you could end up with loads of pictures.
Old 09-25-2008, 10:41 PM
Rolling Thunder
Keep the sunny side up

Originally Posted by eflight-ray View Post
What plane?

Scale model, trainer, park fly, 3D, built up, profile, balsa, foam, molded.
High, mid, low, wing.
Conventional layout, flying wing, canard, biplane.
Single motor, multi-motor.
Tractor motor, pusher motor, mid-motor.
Stick fuselage, enclosed fuselage.
Fixed U/C, retracts, no U/C.

Sorry Thunder but the list could be almost endless.

If you after just a general high wing trainer type model, some of the built up kit models have a 'skeleton' view in the instructions. But I don't have one of those.

Even when it comes to the RC installation, servos can go in different places, (single or twin aileron servos), servos poking through profile etc.

Sorry if it sounds like I'm raining on your parade, but unless you can be very specific on a few things, you could end up with loads of pictures.
Ahh heck,I say lets do them all.Actually since this is the begginer forum I thought a picture of a 4ch high wing trainer would be good

I thought perhaps the administration could post a sticky of one for easy references & perhaps post stickys of other planes in the aproppriate forums
Just one airheads suggestion,Thanks_Gene
Old 09-25-2008, 10:46 PM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Hi Rolling thunder and Welcome to Wattflyers, I used to live in Victorville, for about 9 years, I liked the high desert, but my allergies did not , lots of Ragweed pollen up there, I had to move back, DOWN THE HILL to the LA Area, I guess my allergies like the smog better

Here You Go, some RC Glossary terms from A to Z

http://www.airfieldmodels.com/inform...urce/glossary/
Old 09-25-2008, 10:47 PM
lawn-dart

Default I've seen something like that...

I believe it was in one of the simulators, you can go in and change the COG and the airfoil. Differant things like that. might be what you are looking for
Old 09-25-2008, 11:01 PM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

The Jackson Radio Control Club

Jackson, New Jersey

Beginner Information

The RC airplane parts typically consist of: (see Fig.1 ( rc airplane parts ) , Fig.3a, Fig.3b)
a) Fuselageh) flaps (optional)o) Rx batteries b) Wingsi) Wheels p) Receiver (Rx) c) Horizontal stabilizerj) Landing gear q) Push rodsd) Vertical stabilizerk) Enginer) Transmitter (TX) e) Elevatorl) Propeller s) TX batteriesf) Rudderm) Fuel tank g) Aileronn) Servos
FIGURE 1 ; RC airplane parts
The fuselage is the main body of the rc airplane. It serves as a housing of the internal components and holds together the outer parts. Obviously the wings is what makes the rc model airplane fly. This part supports the rc airplane in flight and the size, type, and location of the wing determines the flight characteristics of the rc airplane (see Chapter 2). The aileron located at the trailing edge (see Fig. 1) of the wing is what controls the longitudinal axis or the rolling motion of the wing. It also controls the rc airplane's direction by means of banking the wing either in the left or right direction. Flaps is sometimes added to increase the lift of the wing and to reduce the runway distance on take-off.
The horizontal stabilizer is usually located at the tail of the aircraft. It serves to stabilize it in the lateral axis or to counter act the up and down motion of the aircraft (or pitch). The elevator is attached to the horizontal stabilizer. It controls the up and down motion (or pitch). The vertical stabilizer is also located at the tail and perpendicular to the horizontal stabilizer. It stabilizes the aircraft in the vertical axis. The rudder is attached to the vertical stab, which control the rc airplane in the vertical axis. This mechanism is usually found in full size aircraft but optional in model aircraft. The landing gear along with the wheels supports the aircraft on the ground. The two common types are tricycle and the tail dragger (see Fig 2).

FIGURE 2 : Two basic types of landing gear
The engine, propeller and fuel tank is called the powerplant. It generates the thrust to support the aircraft in flight. The engine is located usually in the front of the aircraft and drives the propeller to generate thrust. The fuel tank holds the fuel and usually located behind the engine. The radio equipment (see Fig.3a) includes the following: servos, receiver (Rx), and Rx batteries, transmitter (TX). The servos are located inside the rc airplane and serves as actuators. They produce the needed force to control the rc airplane. The pushrods are connected to the servos to transmit the force generated by the servos to the control surfaces of the rc airplane. The receiver is connected to the servos, which transmit the signal from the transmitter. The transmitter, although not attached to the aircraft itself, is also part of the aircraft. That is why it is called remote controlled. It transmits signals from the control input of the RC pilot. Of course, the receiver and the transmitter to transmit and receive electrical signals need batteries (see Fig. 3b).
FIGURE 3a : Three-channel radio controlled rc airplane components

FIGURE 3b : Typical four-channel radio control layout and components

Home | Beginner Info | Flying Field | Membership | Photos | Newsletters | Links | Contacthttp://jacksonrcclub.org/beginner_info/beginner.htm
Old 09-25-2008, 11:07 PM
Rolling Thunder
Keep the sunny side up

Originally Posted by CHELLIE View Post
Hi Rolling thunder and Welcome to Wattflyers, I used to live in Victorville, for about 9 years, I liked the high desert, but my allergies did not , lots of Ragweed pollen up there, I had to move back, DOWN THE HILL to the LA Area, I guess my allergies like the smog better

Here You Go, some RC Glossary terms from A to Z

http://www.airfieldmodels.com/inform...urce/glossary/
WOW thats great thanks CHELLIE I got a lot of reading to do

Id still like to see a picture if anyones got any thanks
OOPPS you got back before I posted,THANKS
Old 10-09-2008, 08:04 PM
decolvin
New Flyer

Default Definition

I hope this doesn't soun too stupid, but I keep on seeing an acronym throughout these forums that has kept me puzzled. At times, it seems like it might be a brand (or company) name. At other times it seems to be used as a generic term. Could someone please tell me what GWS means?
Old 10-09-2008, 08:26 PM
Bub Steve
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by decolvin View Post
I hope this doesn't soun too stupid, but I keep on seeing an acronym throughout these forums that has kept me puzzled. At times, it seems like it might be a brand (or company) name. At other times it seems to be used as a generic term. Could someone please tell me what GWS means?
decolvin::GWS means Grand Wing Servo, It's a manufacture of foam planes ( I got a bunch of um!!) heres some of there planes, your bub, steve
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	planes 306.jpg
Views:	317
Size:	128.3 KB
ID:	80232   Click image for larger version

Name:	planes 485.jpg
Views:	303
Size:	201.2 KB
ID:	80233   Click image for larger version

Name:	planes 590.jpg
Views:	291
Size:	139.5 KB
ID:	80234   Click image for larger version

Name:	planes 528.jpg
Views:	297
Size:	247.3 KB
ID:	80235   Click image for larger version

Name:	petty an red 094.jpg
Views:	274
Size:	236.3 KB
ID:	80236  

Click image for larger version

Name:	petty an red 406.jpg
Views:	234
Size:	196.5 KB
ID:	80237   Click image for larger version

Name:	planes 422.jpg
Views:	255
Size:	114.1 KB
ID:	80238   Click image for larger version

Name:	petty an red 446.jpg
Views:	285
Size:	140.6 KB
ID:	80239   Click image for larger version

Name:	planes 397.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	182.4 KB
ID:	80240   Click image for larger version

Name:	planes 553.jpg
Views:	244
Size:	288.1 KB
ID:	80241  

Old 10-09-2008, 09:09 PM
Fly Time
Ask me how I know

Originally Posted by stevecooper View Post
decolvin::GWS means Grand Wing Servo, It's a manufacture of foam planes ( I got a bunch of um!!) heres some of there planes, your bub, steve
Grand Wing SERVOS? I always thought it was SYSTEMS, but then I did a quick Google search which proved that bubsteve is right again! BTW, they also make servos. And receivers and motors and orange props and widgets too. Mostly they are known as a low-budget brand, but despite that I rarely hear of anyone complaining about quality. The color of their props, yes. But value for price, no complaints.
Old 10-09-2008, 10:14 PM
decolvin
New Flyer

Thanks for clearing that up for me.
Old 10-10-2008, 01:35 AM
Sabrehawk

Smile

Hehe, I have found though that those ugly orange props can be made to look like wood with a sharpie pen.

I geuss their thinking on the orange color is safety I suppose, but then they also offer them in black and gray colors too.
Old 12-02-2008, 07:43 AM
Flying2315
www.agehobby.com

Which Airplane you want?
Old 12-02-2008, 12:26 PM
FlyingMonkey
Flite Test Fan

try this...

build a profile plane, where all the components are exposed.
Old 12-02-2008, 09:43 PM
Fly Time
Ask me how I know

That's a beauty Fred! She looks fast too!

Is that one of your entries in the scratch build contest?
Old 12-03-2008, 03:24 AM
FlyingMonkey
Flite Test Fan

it's not mine.

this is a design from way back in the days before brushless and lipos became popular.

It's called a BluCub, I believe it's a GeneBond creation.

but, it should do the job, it is a flyable airplane, with all of the parts needed to work it, very visible.
Old 03-27-2009, 01:19 PM
Don Sims
Administrator

http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/vbgl...howentry&id=11

Wattwikki thread with information.