Foamies Talk about building, power setups and anything having to do with e-powered foamy planes!

Sort of OT, but not really

Old 03-02-2008, 01:28 AM
FlyWheel
Ochroma Pyramidale Tekton

Red face Sort of OT, but not really

I thought this would be the best forum to ask, because a lot of you buy the stuff.

I want to build a carrying case for my new plane, and I would like to make it out of a lightweight foam, say about 1/2" thick. I want it somewhat resilient but not too expensive. What would you recommend and where can I get some? I was thinking maybe something like that stuff that's covered with very thin cardboard on both sides. I know there's a special "aeromodeller's name" for it, but I can't think of it at the moment, and I've never worked with it. Or is there something better suited?
Old 03-02-2008, 01:53 AM
GreenAce92
RAWR!!! Lets fly...

Pink polystyrene foam from home depot?
Old 03-03-2008, 03:07 AM
pstrdenver

What if you used a 1/2 inch insulation foam such as the pink or Blue Cor and then use spray adhesive to cover it with a thin fabric? I think the fabric will help it last longer, protect the foam, and make it more appealing to the eye.
Old 03-03-2008, 03:22 AM
FlyWheel

Originally Posted by pstrdenver View Post
What if you used a 1/2 inch insulation foam such as the pink or Blue Cor and then use spray adhesive to cover it with a thin fabric? I think the fabric will help it last longer, protect the foam, and make it more appealing to the eye.
Is this the stuff I'm thinking of, foam laminated between thick paper (thin cardboard?) sheets like an Oreo cookie? How dense is the foam? Obviously toughness is more important in this case than light weight.
Old 03-03-2008, 05:42 AM
pstrdenver

paper laminated foam that I'm familiar with would be foam board or Elmers board but it is only 1/4 inch at best.

But...it is more than possible that there is 1/2 inch paper laminated foam out there somewhere. However the Blue Cor that I mentioned above is not laminated.
Old 03-03-2008, 03:02 PM
aero_k

p.d. is right. The foam board (Elmers board) is laminated with paper. Its about $2 a sheet (maybe 24"x36"?), but the thicker stuff (1/2" maybe?) is over $5 or $6 for the same size sheet. I have don my first two foamy builds with this stuff. I use it because its cheap and gets the job done. I get it at my local Michaels craft store.

For you application, I wouldnt suggest using this stuff. Its stiff when its brand new, but as soon as you get it wet, or dented or creased, its no longer that stiff. It would not be very waterproof at all.

I would use insulation foam, like the blucor or pink foam. Its probably a lot more durable, and you can get some stuff with a little more density, since you dont really need light weight for this. Its also made to keep out water and moisture, so that wont be a problem. I've never bought the stuff, but I think you can get enough of it to build your box for under $15. You should be able to find some at Lowe's or Home Depot. Grab some extra while you're at it. It's great for making planes out of, as you may know.
Old 03-03-2008, 03:33 PM
pburt1975
Hotel California

Holding foam together with hotglue or other adhesives only gives you so much strength. Regardless of the glue, you are still stuck with the foams breaking point.
Case in point, I made my daughter a foam 2 story doll house out of the Blue FFF. Sitting static it does fine, but put 3 dolls in it and you can see the seams flex. It was put together using GWS contact cement and the plastic coating removed from bond areas for a stronger grab.
The seams will not hold weight, unless you beef them up some how.

Personally, we use something like this
http://www.containerstore.com/browse...5&PRODID=72365
not the exact one because its cheaper at walmart, but one like it. Its 24" wide and 40" long. As long as wings come off, it will hold a few planes for travel, and when I get home, it slides under a bed out of the way.
Old 03-03-2008, 04:01 PM
FlyingMonkey
Flite Test Fan

Here's the stuff I would recommend.

I would use an old carpentry trick to strengthen your box joints.

Dovetail the edges.

http://www.geoffswoodwork.co.uk/dovetail%20sides.htm

[media]http://www.geoffswoodwork.co.uk/dovetail%20tops%20botts.gif[/media]
Old 03-03-2008, 05:35 PM
pstrdenver

I would have to agree with pburt, foam will only last so long. Maybe a tupperware storage container with a shelving unit inside to store multiple planes. Sorta the same as pburts conatiner only much deeper.

Wal-mart sells them for around 9 dollars. If I can find a pic or link I'll post it.
Old 03-04-2008, 04:05 AM
FlyWheel

OK, Elmer's board I know, that stuff is way too flimsy!
I've worked a lot in wood. But that seems a bit much just to carry a foam plane. I'll check out the blucor next time I'm at Lowes.
Old 03-04-2008, 04:09 AM
FlyingMonkey
Flite Test Fan

hot glued beveled edges, with reinforcing tape on the outside should be fine.
Old 03-04-2008, 03:31 PM
soar-ne
Omaha Ne.

FW:
The Hobby Lobby (craft store) up the street from me carries 3mm, 5mm and 1/2inch foamboard. It comes in 20X30inch sheets in the 1/2 inch thick stuff. The thinner is in 32X40inch sheets. The paper is tougher to get off on the 1/2inch stuff for some reason(different supplier?) than the thinner stuff also, have to soak it for several hours, havent tried alchy soak yet on the 1/2 as I dont use that much of it.
Check them out if you have one in your area.

Bob
Old 03-04-2008, 05:21 PM
Voyager2lcats
Friend Across the Water

Hey Monkeyman, geoffswoodwork.co.uk needs a spell checker, because the woodworking term is "rabbet" not "rebate"! I figured you would appreciate the intervention of the spelling police, so I have kindly lent a hand. Keep humanoids away from your planes.

Bob

Originally Posted by FlyingMonkey View Post
Here's the stuff I would recommend.

I would use an old carpentry trick to strengthen your box joints.

Dovetail the edges.

http://www.geoffswoodwork.co.uk/dovetail%20sides.htm

[media]http://www.geoffswoodwork.co.uk/dovetail%20tops%20botts.gif[/media]
Old 03-05-2008, 05:38 AM
FlyWheel

OK, I found sone 1/2" polystyrene at Lowes. What I think I'll do is use it for a "liner" that will slide into a corregated (plastic, if I can find some) outer box. Sort of like what the AeroBird comes in. That's where I got the idea from. Unfortunatly my Easy Star wasn't so conveniently packaged.
Old 03-05-2008, 12:32 PM
FlyingMonkey
Flite Test Fan

sign shops sell corrugated plastic.

check for political signs after voting day, they will be happy to have people get rid of them for them.
Old 03-05-2008, 02:03 PM
pburt1975
Hotel California

Any HVAC shops in the area? Companies that install roof top units? We get some in here on the occasion that have the coils protected with 5mm corrugated plastic. We throw it away, others probably do as well.

I have a hard time getting glues to stick to it tho. Epoxy will break off and hot glue does not get a grab. Maybe some gorilla glue or liquid nails will do the trick better, but the usual doesnt.
Old 03-05-2008, 04:17 PM
FlyWheel

Originally Posted by FlyingMonkey View Post
sign shops sell corrugated plastic.

check for political signs after voting day, they will be happy to have people get rid of them for them.
I know. They take all that trouble to make their candidate look responsible, then leave all the signs like so much litter!

There's a guy running for County Sheriff that has some really big ones too. I'm not voting for him, I like the present one (who also happens to live in my home town...)
Old 03-05-2008, 04:55 PM
pburt1975
Hotel California

Originally Posted by FlyWheel View Post
I know. They take all that trouble to make their candidate look responsible, then leave all the signs like so much litter!

There's a guy running for County Sheriff that has some really big ones too. I'm not voting for him, I like the present one (who also happens to live in my home town...)
And if building a box with them doesn't work, do a search on SPAD, simple plastic airplane design. They make a lot of gassers with this stuff, just like electric guys do with foam. Toothpicks or bamboo skewers are used in the corrugations and stuck through the other piece, glued in place. Seems to work better then glue on the plastic.
Old 06-16-2008, 03:44 AM
FlyWheel

Talking Finished!

Got a Coroplast sign that was exactly the right size (seriously, I didn't have to modify the overall dimentions one millimeter!) Cut the notches, creased the folds, painted it, folded it added the stickers and the velcro that holds the entire origami style case together.

I still have to make a carrying handle, but other than that, it's finished.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	easy.JPG
Views:	139
Size:	268.9 KB
ID:	69436   Click image for larger version

Name:	ester.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	253.9 KB
ID:	69437   Click image for larger version

Name:	inside.JPG
Views:	130
Size:	194.7 KB
ID:	69438  

Last edited by FlyWheel; 06-16-2008 at 04:04 AM.
Old 06-16-2008, 08:39 AM
marchino61

Originally Posted by Voyager2lcats View Post
Hey Monkeyman, geoffswoodwork.co.uk needs a spell checker, because the woodworking term is "rabbet" not "rebate"! I figured you would appreciate the intervention of the spelling police, so I have kindly lent a hand. Keep humanoids away from your planes.

Bob
Don't forget it's a UK site!

That's the normal term on that side of the water. Wikipedia sems to agree:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rabbet