Beginners - Helis A forum where beginners can get help on the fundamentals for experts who know their stuff!

Belt drive Vs Motor drive?

Old 03-01-2008, 03:52 AM
Howdy

Question Belt drive Vs Motor drive?

Are belt driven tails have an advantage over motor drivin?Honey bee......E Flight CP+?
Old 03-01-2008, 04:02 AM
birdDog
Charging....

Belt drive is WAY better (my opinion). No second motor to maintain. Easier on-board electronics. MUCH better gyro/tail response. The pitch of the tail prop can be change instantly to push OR pull. They are way more predictable plus more fun to fix!

Problem is that generally the belt helis cost more than the motor tail ones.

I would not even think of upgrading an existing chopper though. Just sell it and get the next model up. From what i hear the esky honeybee king 2 is an awesome, affordable belt heli.

Some posters on here state that after flying a belt, they would never go back to a tail motor. Me either!
Ok, i still fly my blade on occasion.

Last edited by CHELLIE; 03-15-2008 at 11:40 PM. Reason: spell check :) :) :)
Old 03-01-2008, 04:42 AM
vortex05
Blade CP, Blade 400

I agree a belt helicopter will hold the tail steady as long as you don't increase the throttle without a gyro.... The setup is real simple in a belt since the tail always turns at mainrotor / x speed and if the main rotor drops in speed so does the tail. No more catching up business with a motor tail.

Aside from complexity there really is no reason you shouldn't look at a belt driven tail it is superior to a motor driven tail on all areas.
Old 03-01-2008, 02:47 PM
dizzymarkus

I will never go back to a geared tail again lol -- I had an Axe cp which was geared, did the freestyle belt mod on it and holy cow -- its awsome. Costly to convert it tho but night and day. How that happened I bought a belt driven mx450 and couldnt believe the difference -- then did the Axe and holy cow it flies like the bigger 450 bitd now :0)

markus

yeah i have seen the HBKII for sale around for 128 + shipping -- pretty good deal IMO

Markus
Old 03-15-2008, 10:02 PM
Lancisti

Definitely go for a belt - I purchased an Esky King 2 - but the Belt-CP is also good choice for beginners, but with a slightly shorter flight time. You don't want to deal with maintaining a tail motor. The belts just have far better head holding in flight.
Old 03-15-2008, 11:44 PM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by Lancisti View Post
Definitely go for a belt - I purchased an Esky King 2 - but the Belt-CP is also good choice for beginners, but with a slightly shorter flight time. You don't want to deal with maintaining a tail motor. The belts just have far better head holding in flight.
I Agree Tail motors are a pain, trying to change the pinion gear is hard work, and you need a special puller for it, then you have to use a drill press or something to press the pinion gear back on, and hopefully, you wont bend the motor shaft, also tail motors only last about 8 hours, Take care, Chellie
Old 03-16-2008, 12:00 AM
birdDog
Charging....

Chellie, I have yet to have any part of my helicopters last eight hours:o
Old 03-16-2008, 02:19 AM
vortex05
Blade CP, Blade 400

Lol ha ha.... I've ground down a few tails even with dual tails the brushes still go but by that time you usually have gone through 2 mains.