Power Systems Talk about motors, ESC speed controllers, gear drives, propellers, power system simulators and all power system related topics

E-sky Honey Bee King 2 losing engine power after few seconds

Old 01-12-2008, 11:18 AM
Sleepy81

Default E-sky Honey Bee King 2 losing engine power after few seconds

After reciving my chopper back after I RMAed it for a bad battery and charger I was finaly ready to get airborne, I thought....

Turns out that even with a fully charged battery, after about 30 sec- 60 sec, the engine stops turning. I still have power on the chopper, and all the servos work properly. Measuring the voltage afterwards show my 3-cell LiPo battery at approx 12v, so its not empty. I have so far tried two batteries woth the same result.

Anybody know what could be wrong? ESC? enigne it self? Reciver?
Old 01-12-2008, 10:04 PM
Stormovic

I had it happen on a CP2 and it was the battery. The bat still showed 12 volts but would suck down under a load.
Old 01-13-2008, 06:52 PM
Sleepy81

Look like the engine is bad...I took it off the chopper but still connected to the ESC, and to get it to run i had to push the axel in towards the engine, and still it would not run very fast. There was also a very large blue electric arc on top of the engine that I haven't seen before.

So I ordered a brushless setup now, we'll see how that works.
Old 03-10-2008, 02:40 AM
Dan375
Dan375

Default Same problem

I have a Honey Bee King 2 also and the same thing happened to me the motor started working sometimes and not other times, and then the motor had a little spark arking on the top of the motor that never happened before. I ordered a new motor, the same one that came with Heli and replaced it. Now when I go to start the Heli sometimes the motor starts and sometimes it does not, also the servos are going crazy like going way past where they use to so the swash pate is way out of alignment now. Anyone Please help. All suggestions welcome. Thank you

Dan
Old 02-18-2009, 05:11 AM
karuna

Default Think it's happen to me to!!!

Just got a honey bee king 2 this weekend. Did one test flight but had a bad tail spin counterclockwise. went home to check blade pitch. When i went to test the new pitch settings the blades wouldn't spin. all servos function fine. after repeatedly unplugging power supply i finally got it to spin but lacked power to lift off. i noticed a light blue spark at the top of the motor. Then the spin died down on its own (throttle at full power) and a small flame started at the top of the motor.

Needles to say the motor burned up.

Could that have been part of my tail spin problem?

Is this a common problem with the manufacture motor?

If so do i need replace the esc if i upgrade to a brushless motor

I'm kind of a newbie so any advice / help would be great.
Old 02-18-2009, 06:42 AM
Twmaster

The very first must do thing with the King II is motor replacement. The brushed motor that is included stock with this is simply not up to the job. I have no clue why they sell them like that. Most folks are lucky to get 5 or 6 flights before the motor dies a hot and smokey death.

Whatever you do, no not buy an E-Sky ESC. Their BL motors are ok but their controllers do not seem to last either.

Sorry to be the wet blanket.
Old 03-06-2009, 09:18 PM
BCRCFlyer

Default Esky King Bee sting: Motor Fire -- Mesh Screen?

I also experianced a motor fire. I was simply doing the initial trim setup and watching the King Bee spin as it "got light" on it's skids... then "fllame on!"...

What I saw was that the mesh screen on the side panel of the canopy was pushed up against the top of the motor. I thought that was the cause of the electrical arcing and then the fire.

I have written to the guy who sold me the heli to ask for a replacement. That was before I saw this thread. It is now a more interesting issue in that perhaps this goes back to Esky.

The questions I have for the other folks who had motor fires is do you think it could have been caused by the wire mesh screen pushing up against the exposed wires on top of the motor? Evidence of this would be burn mark or smoke marks on the inside of the canopy just above the mesh screen. Did anyone who had an engine fire experiance this with a model that did not have the wire mesh screen on the canopy?

Lastly, I ordered an upgrade to the motor, but it appears to be within specification to be compatible with the existing ESky ESC. It is a brushless motor. Is an upgrade to the ESC necessary?

My idea was to get a helicopter that has a high upside to it in terms of continuing growth of skill level while allowing a relative beginner to learn to fly. What do I get -- a motor fire while setting the trim!!

Is this one of the worst starts ever for a beginner to RC?? Someone please share a more "shattering" first timer experiance so I feel better!!

Regards all. Thanks for sharing any information.
Old 03-06-2009, 09:30 PM
Twmaster

It's possible the screen shorted the power wire to the can of the can of the motor. That would be bad. If the screen was touching the motor then the canopy was improperly installed.

Also, if you had the stock brushed motor you will have to change both the motor and ESC to go with brushless power.
Old 03-07-2009, 04:13 AM
Ribcracker
Flight Junkie

My coaxial wouldn't lift off one night. Battery was fine, motor seemed fine, servos worked. What up? The set screw in the collar that links the drive gear to the shaft came loose so the gear didn't have a good purchase of the shaft. It was slipping!
Tighten screw=problem solved.
Boy, wouldn't it be great if that was all it was? Worth checking.
Old 03-08-2009, 05:54 AM
BCRCFlyer

Default 370 Motor Fire on ESky Honey Bee King II

Originally Posted by Twmaster View Post
It's possible the screen shorted the power wire to the can of the can of the motor. That would be bad. If the screen was touching the motor then the canopy was improperly installed.

Also, if you had the stock brushed motor you will have to change both the motor and ESC to go with brushless power.
Thanks for that information. I found a Brushless Motor:
Esky Brushless Motor For BrushlessMotor_EK5-0004
Helicopter (Prepositive)
3100KV 40g

Following your advise and the advise of the on-line chat person at Nitro Planes.com I afterwards ordered a Brushless ESC:
30A Electronic Brushless BrushlessESC_07E04-30A
ESC Speed Controller
[Volcano Series]

I intend one day to determine what a brushed ESC won't work with a brushless motor, but for now I have enough and hopefully compatible components to rebuild my bird.

That is part and parcel to RC flying apparently. I don't mind as I am mechanically inclined. The form of the components make sense in terms of function.

That, guys like y'all, and some help from NightFlyer videos on YouTube and I'm off and almost flying. I scraped the burnt stuff off the top of the motor and used it to sping the King Honey Bee II up again. The motor went into flame on mode again before I scraped it clean, but then it lasted for a couple more session. I was able to get a feel for moving the swash plate (right side control) and hopped it up a few inches -- enough to see that trimming the tail rotor spin was impossible.

After watching the NightFlyer videos and reviewing the manual, I moved the vertical tail stabalizer forwards away from the tail prop so that it wouldn't block the air flow from the tail rotor, and moved the servo forwards enough to get it's arm at 90 degress when the rotor is also. So, I think I'm past the trim issues, but the motor is about done so I won't really know until I can get it a foot off the ground.

I also ordered another ESky 307 motor so I can simply replace that first and see if I get get another fire going... I want to test my new theory that it is the bare wires from the electronic components on top of the motor that are arching and causing the fires.

It is either that, or arching from the top brace of the motor down into the motor wires inside the "can".

Maybe I'll get everyone who had a fire together and we can fund a class action suite against ESky. Not only is a fire dangerous by itself, I think those comonents when burning cause toxic fumes. Likelyhood of this is about 0.5% at this point. Likelyhood of me just mounting the brushless components and getting back to learning to control the heli is a lot higher!!

Oh, I also got a cheap flight simulator to start with:
E-Sky 4 CH Flight Simulator Training Kit For Airplanes and Helicopters w/ USB Port

I want to get the new RealFlight someday, but I'm spending all my dough on expensive helis to burn up and crash in real life instead of crashing pictures on a screen. My goal is zero crashes. No bang boom.

If ANYONE has any comments on components I ordered, feel free to write.

I am also want to hear from anyone else who had a motor fire on the King Bee II 370 motor. Was it "first time out", what burned, etc...

Regards...
Old 03-08-2009, 07:35 AM
Twmaster

You may also want to check out the videos from nuttcaze. Good stuff.

If you want some stock brushed motors from a King 2 I'll happily send them to you for cost of shipping.

I think you are going to find the simulator software included with the E-Sky sim package to be less than adequate for learning to fly helis. The good news is though the controller in that kit will work with Clearview ($40) and Phoenix ($140) (Phoenix has been rated as the best heli sin out there many times).
Old 03-14-2009, 05:54 AM
BCRCFlyer

Default Not so "super" 370 Motor Testing

Thanks for sending the motors. I put one in and it lasted about a dozen spin ups on the back lawn. I had bought one for $10 as well, so tried that. About the same results.

I didn't see any of the sparks and arcs like I did in the first motor, but they certainly didn't last long. Maybe no arcs because I bent the electronic components away from the motor and ran without the canopy.

They lasted enough to give me a bit of practice on how to work the controls. I lifted off a few inches and watched the bird drift off in one direction or another. I have it down to only slightly spinning if at all.

If I can find the right sized tool to get the set screw out of the pinon gear, I'll switch that over to the brushless motor and be done with the "super" 370s for good.

Maybe I'll send them all back to China so ESky can do some quality control checks.
Old 03-14-2009, 06:12 AM
Twmaster

As mentioned before somewhere, it's amazing that any firm would put such worthless garbage in a relatively expensive thing like this.

At least these motors died in the name of science!

The pinions on the the 'not so' super 370 motors are press on.
Old 03-15-2009, 07:49 PM
BCRCFlyer

Default Pinion Press off Pinion Press on

Originally Posted by Twmaster View Post
As mentioned before somewhere, it's amazing that any firm would put such worthless garbage in a relatively expensive thing like this.

At least these motors died in the name of science!

The pinions on the the 'not so' super 370 motors are press on.
Yes... no flames this time; I was careful to spin the rotors up verses "idling" them to death; I watched somewhat for arcing (when I wasn't keeping the blades from hitting me!) and didn't see anything significant; yet die they both die and rather quickly...

Press-on pinions explains why I can't find any set screw. I guess there was a spot of greese on one of the pinions that maked me think there was.

I've ordered a pinion puller -- mini head puller deal. Will it do me any good to take the press-on pinion off the 370: i.e., can it be pressed back on to the Esky brushless motor I bought?

For the life of me, I can't find a web site that shows what pinion I need for that motor for that helicopter. I think I am good at searching, but I'm learning small bits are hard to find.

I also need "one" (for now) blade screw for a E-flight CX2. I can't find those for the life of me either. I ordererd a set of hardware for the CX2, but that item doesn't list what the screws in the package are for!

Fun stuff this RC Heli hobby. I'd call it RC Heli "flying", but there seems to be much more to it than merely "flying".

If I could just figure out this pinion thing I could put the brushless motor and ESC on the bird and really crash it hard... or rather gain a steady hover and move it slowly about using careful and thoughtfull small movements on the rudder (sticks), trim dials, all the while keeping my mind "inside" the cockpit for proper frame of reference.

Cheers,

Bruizer
Old 03-15-2009, 09:11 PM
Twmaster

You can get pinions HERE. If the shaft is exactly the same size you can reuse the pinion but be sure to put blue Loctite on it first. Be careful not to get any Loctite in the motor.