Power Systems Talk about motors, ESC speed controllers, gear drives, propellers, power system simulators and all power system related topics

How to match Graupner EDF 'Pod' 480 unit to my 100 inch sailplane.

Old 03-23-2009, 12:24 AM
Harry Lime

Default How to match Graupner EDF 'Pod' 480 unit to my 100 inch sailplane.

How do I ensure that my Graupner black 'pod' type Ducted Fan 480 brushed unit is matched to my 100 inch span sailplane as regards battery size, voltage, amps etc? Quite a mounthful, but I can break it down:

I have the lovely Graupner 'pod' EDF unit G-1401 for 480 Speed Race brushed motor with integral ESC. I propose to mount it on the front top of the fuselage to get the sailplane up to height and later for landing. I will use 7 or 8 NiCad cells, that is, 8.4 volts or 9.6 volts. More if needed, but it is only a brushed motor.

I don't want 'screaming' power or noise, but enough to fly the model gently upwards. Will all this work OK, or is the model far too big and slow to match a small high-revving ducted fan?

A friend has the Multiplex Twister EDF model with a, possibly unsuitable big ESC to handle his 3 cell Lipo 11.1 volts. (the ESC says 'from 7 to 12S'). The motor spins OK but there is no pull from the model before launching and not a lot of wind blowing from the tailpipe either. When hand-launched it just sinks down onto the grass.

I was told that the actual fan blades of a ducted fan model before launch may be spinning OK but are stalled, due to their high pitch, and don't really 'bite' into the air until a good flying speed is reached.

I am worried that the same thing might happen my set-up. The Graupner pod may spin up and even provide a pull feeling with plenty tailpipe wind but may not fly the big model into a positive climb and never get up to a 'matched' flying speed.

I hope someone can reply to this very common problem experienced by power modellers trying their hand at electric for the first time.

Harry 'the Pod' Lime.
Old 03-23-2009, 01:58 AM
Dr Kiwi
Super Contributor

I think that you are going to be VERY disappointed in an EDF on a monster sailplane - EDF's work best on small high speed airframes, big gliders need big slow turning props - I'd whack a big, low Kv, outrunner or a geared inrunner driving a 12" folding prop on the nose of that plane!